Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-21, 7:01am
More glass...more glass..

How does the original Terranova stack up against 2 and 2.1? I have about a pound of it sitting around but don't want to waste it if it doesn't compare.

Thanks
edz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( Nothing available right now )

(Nothing available right now)
Old 2010-03-21, 9:41am
Storm Queen

The original Terranova was very dark.....very dark. It would also get these tiny white specks in it too.

Old 2010-03-21, 10:48am
More glass...more glass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
The original Terranova was very dark.....very dark. It would also get these tiny white specks in it too.
Oops...I meant Terra, not terranova.

( Nothing available right now )

(Nothing available right now)
Old 2010-03-21, 10:51am
Storm Queen

Terra and Terranova 2.0/2.1 are completely different. Don't let the similar name fool you. If I were you, I'd play with a couple of your Terra rods. If you aren't happy with what you can do with it, you can sell it for anywhere from $10-15 per rod.

Old 2010-03-22, 9:39am
working to pay for glass

Default fun with 2.1

well i am new to Silver glass and just had a sample selection from DH glass so I think this is Terranova 2.1 now i need to find more as it is one of my favorites of all the DH glass I wonder if seconds of 2 or 2.1 would be any good ? any advice ?
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-22, 10:42am
Storm Queen

Those are really pretty Melissa. I'm going to play with it again today. This is the one I had to double encase....

Old 2010-03-22, 10:57am
working to pay for glass

Amy Your beads are just amazing I am going to go buy your tutorial maybe one day I can to be amazing
Old 2010-03-22, 11:00am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixbabygirls View Post
Amy Your beads are just amazing I am going to go buy your tutorial maybe one day I can to be amazing
Thanks! But if you been viewing the storm gallery thread then you know that anyone can do it.

Old 2010-03-22, 3:01pm
What was I thinking?

Amy, the last bead you posted is fab. Is it 2.0 or 2.1?

Old 2010-03-22, 3:03pm
Storm Queen

It's 2.0 seconds. I'm having no luck with 2.1 but I think I'll pull a rod out now and give it one more go.

Old 2010-03-22, 5:14pm
Tacki

Ok, well I'm baffled by this glass now.

Both of these beads were made with the same rod of 2.1

I love the variation I get since I just make single beads, but I can see how you'd get frustrated trying to make a matching set out of this.

Old 2010-03-22, 5:58pm
Storm Queen

I really love the top bead!

I need to put this glass aside and actually make some beads I can sell. But I have a little story that might help some of you. I was making a TNT bead and I had it encased and had just finished super heating it and was letting it cool. I switched hands and picked up a bad bead in my left hand to look at again....and the hot mandrel in my right hand slipped down and burned me. I threw the mandrel across the room. It had to have been at least 20 seconds or more before I finally got up, walked across the room and picked up the mandrel, sat down and examined the bead. It was still that clear green and I thought "what the hell" and I put it back in the flame. It turned a fabulous brilliant blue. This bead was probably so cool from being out of the flame I might have been able to touch the damn thing. Of course the bead had dirt on it so it didn't make it in the kiln but I can't stop looking at the pretty "Jamie Lynne blue" it turned. I ran out of mandrels before I could give it another try.

Old 2010-03-23, 4:04pm
Lampworkaholic!

Ouch! Painful lesson! But I suppose we must suffer for the sake of art.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-03-23, 5:38pm
Tweedle Dumb

Ohh my gosh Traci those colors are insane!

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-03-28, 8:49am
Torching since 2004

Here is TN2.1 encased in Clio, interesting effect.

Old 2010-04-02, 10:39am
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Terranova2.1 New Testing Procedure

After reading this thread last week Jed and I pulled out every box of Terranova2.1 we have and retested all of them. We have determined that the color test we put every batch through was not sensitive enough to a change in striking versus a change in the color. Jed is able to make the color match for every batch of Terranova2.1 we have on the shelf, so we'd been passing all of them. After designing a test that is more sensitive to the change in a glasses striking needs we decided several batches on the shelf really should have been Terranova2.1 light. A small number of our resellers received this glass and they have been contacted. We are replacing their stock of Terranova2.1 right now. It's still great glass, makes great colors, but people should know its striking needs are different from the regular Terranova2.1. We hope that this change in our testing of Terranova2.1 will ensure a more repeatable process for you. However, Terranova2.1 was developed to produce as much variation as possible so we recommend you use it in applications where variation is a benefit to your design. For more information check out our new Terranova2.1 product page. As always, if you're unhappy with any of our glass we'll be glad to exchange it.

One more note, let's not confuse Terranova2 with Terra2 which hasn't been released yet but will be coming April 9th!
Old 2010-04-02, 12:26pm
Tweedle Dumb

I like the new product page. It shows more accurately the colors I've been getting. And I also love that you guys have taken the time to sort through the batches and list them seperately. Will make it much easier. Thank you!

I do have a question, does the light version of TN2.1 that you have listed on that page require kiln striking like the Frantz batch? Or is it just a lighter version?

Old 2010-04-02, 6:58pm
What was I thinking?

Thanks for the new info, Julie. Part of my problem with this glass is that Terranova 2 was sooo easy to work with. I've had much better luck now that I've combined/tweaked the tips so generously offered here by Traci & Jamie.

As for Terra 2, well, who needs groceries?

Old 2010-04-04, 11:55am
Storm Queen

Well I had no idea TN 2.1 kiln striked. I put a bead that I couldn't get to do anything for the life of me into the kiln and it changed colors like magic. TNT never kiln striked for me.

Old 2010-04-04, 1:16pm
Tweedle Dumb

Heck yeah Amy!! The regular TN2.1 kiln strikes kinda like Pandora. But I was talkin about that baby blue one that Frantz sold just a few weeks ago, sold as TN2.1 lite... Me no likey that one. Blech. I'm hoping the one listed on the DH site ISN"T that particular batch. Guessing from the paddle pictures it isn't the same, but I don't wanna be stuck with a ton of that other one I'm not fond of.

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2010-04-04 at 1:21pm.
Old 2010-04-04, 1:22pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Heck yeah Amy!! The regular TN2.1 kiln strikes kinda like Pandora. But I was talkin about that baby blue one that Frantz sold just a few weeks ago sold as TN2.1 lite... Me no likey that one. Blech.
Yeah, I wasn't referring to your post at all though. Only to how dense I must be to not realize that 2.1 kiln striked until yesterday. I had worked and worked this one bead and just given up on it. I did another bead on the same mandrel and I couldn't get it to do anything at all either. Bead #1 was cream and light peridot, cold and cracked. Bead #2 on the same mandrel I super heated and then shoved it in the kiln like Traci does. I was surprised that the cold, cracked bead kiln struck. Kiln striked. I think I like kiln striked better even though it's not technically a word. Anyway, now I must play more with it during the week.

Old 2010-04-04, 1:24pm
Tweedle Dumb

Oppps. Sorry. Thought you was talkin to me.

Old 2010-04-04, 1:25pm
Storm Queen

Do you think that TN2.1 Dark is the most similar to the original TNT?

Old 2010-04-04, 1:28pm
Tweedle Dumb

If you are talkin to me.... It looks like it is lacking in the burgundy department, other than that, yes, I think it does look pretty similar to the TNT formula. I remember getting a lot of burgundy out of the TNT

Old 2010-04-04, 1:55pm
Storm Queen

Yeah, I was talkin' to you.

Old 2010-04-04, 1:59pm
Tweedle Dumb

I'm uber confuzeled now... there was Terranova 2.1 light that Frantz sold as an odd lot that was baby blue and required kiln striking. There is Terranova 2.1 Light that is listed on the normal Terranova 2.1 page for $25 a 1/4 pound and has a vastly different picture that has me really interested, but then there is another Terranova 2.1 Light listed on the Odd Lots page with the old Terranova 2.1 pictures and is listed for $20... Are they all the same? I'm talking my self in circles.

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2010-04-04 at 2:40pm.
Old 2010-04-05, 5:37am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
I'm uber confuzeled now... there was Terranova 2.1 light that Frantz sold as an odd lot that was baby blue and required kiln striking. There is Terranova 2.1 Light that is listed on the normal Terranova 2.1 page for $25 a 1/4 pound and has a vastly different picture that has me really interested, but then there is another Terranova 2.1 Light listed on the Odd Lots page with the old Terranova 2.1 pictures and is listed for $20... Are they all the same? I'm talking my self in circles.
Call Double Helix and ask. Julie and Jed are always so helpful.

And then let us know.

I only have TN 2.1 and I love it but I'm ready to branch out.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-04-05, 9:33am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I have the regular T2.1 and light 2.1. I am having a lot of trouble getting consistent color out of the light. These bead were made at the same time on the same mandrel in the same way:

Go figure!

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-04-05, 10:28am
da General

Jamie Lynne - you are da Terranova queen!!!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-05, 4:30pm
Tweedle Dumb

Hardly! But I do have some kind of odd obsession with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Jamie Lynne - you are da Terranova queen!!!!!