AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: How many soft glass colors do you have???
1-20 32 5.62%
21-40 67 11.78%
41-60 71 12.48%
61-80 60 10.54%
81-100 80 14.06%
101-120 43 7.56%
121-140 34 5.98%
141-160 28 4.92%
161-180 21 3.69%
180+ 133 23.37%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-19, 7:52pm

Uh oh. I just bought my first batch of glass rods. I bought thirty colors. And I wanted more lol! I took my first bead making class last Saturday. Today is only Wednesday. Some one please help me. My husband is going to have a cow.
Old 2009-08-19, 9:06pm
uncouthful cats

Silver River - just wait another few months & count again. Then start keeping secrets from your hubby. Ah, all the lovely sales .......

Nancie

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2009-08-20, 5:10am

Lol Nancie, my husband doesn't ask. I think he is afraid too lol! He is pretty good about my obsessions. I have taken over the entire wall of one side of our basement and he built be a table for my lapidary machine but he never asks me how much my stuff costs lol! Probably a good thing. I already have a list of *ooohh I wanna try THAT one* going. And its not a short list either lol!
Old 2009-08-20, 6:04am

Yes the husband thing is a problem. I would love to get a nice glass rack and display everything. But that would mean hubby would see how much glass I have. Now I am hiding it in drawer from him. Since I am a newbie, until I start making some fabulous beads, I can't justify yet another hobby to him. I already have a small bead store of high end gemstones... But its so much fun!
Old 2009-08-20, 7:04am

Ameron if you could see my bead stash you would realize I totally understand lol! And that doesn't count the metal supplies and the several hundred pounds of rocks and slabs that I have. I have a feeling my husband is happy that i have hobbies that keep me at home lol! The only reason I was able to buy that much glass was because I happened upon Franz Art Glass and his 60% off sale. Ya, glass shopping is fun lol!
Old 2009-08-20, 9:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Barbara, you have a spreadsheet for your glass?! And I thought I was anal! I've got to ask, does your spreadsheet detail the number of rods, or just the colors? If you say it includes the number of rods, you need help! LOL!!!
Barbara, don't feel so bad... I have a spreadsheet not only for my glass (sorted by manufacturer then colour -[yes, I'm Canadian and we spell colour with a u]. I also have a spreadsheet of pictures over every type of bead I made with details so I can reproduce them.
Old 2009-08-20, 1:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELSEY View Post
If you count the endless shades of coral and just effetre, vetrofond and CIM I have way over 200.

Here are pictures of the great soft glass storage that my son Chris made for me. It has lighting on each level making it easier to see the colors before I pull them. There are 3 sections and on the bottom of each section there are bigger cubbies for glass that I have mega amounts of like rubino, ink blue, periwinkle, copper green, opal yellow and the pinks. I love looking at how pretty it is, like a rainbow!

The tall area on the right hand side of the second picture is reserved for clear, white, black and ivory. The shallow wooden drawers that you see are frit drawers. Each drawer is just deep enough to hold one layer of frit jars and there are holes drilled in the bottom so that the jars drop down and hang by their lids. That way there is no shifting of the jars.

All of the Reichenback/Zimmerman/Bullseye and boro are in the same type of storage on another wall.
I Feel better now. LOL
Jen
Old 2009-09-22, 12:51pm
Just Me!

Wink

WOW!!!
Jealous much, YES!!!
That is just Glass Heaven........Valerie
PS. I live in So Cal, can I come over and just stare at it for a while? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELSEY View Post
If you count the endless shades of coral and just effetre, vetrofond and CIM I have way over 200.

Here are pictures of the great soft glass storage that my son Chris made for me. It has lighting on each level making it easier to see the colors before I pull them. There are 3 sections and on the bottom of each section there are bigger cubbies for glass that I have mega amounts of like rubino, ink blue, periwinkle, copper green, opal yellow and the pinks. I love looking at how pretty it is, like a rainbow!

The tall area on the right hand side of the second picture is reserved for clear, white, black and ivory. The shallow wooden drawers that you see are frit drawers. Each drawer is just deep enough to hold one layer of frit jars and there are holes drilled in the bottom so that the jars drop down and hang by their lids. That way there is no shifting of the jars.

All of the Reichenback/Zimmerman/Bullseye and boro are in the same type of storage on another wall.
Old 2009-09-22, 1:21pm

lol Okay I am not four weeks into it and am up to 60 colors. someone shoot me. But the sales were so good lol! I fear its too late for me. Hooked completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-25, 4:10pm
The Grand Foobah

Ok, I'm embarassed to admit this but if I count different colors by the different shades that have occurred over the years and the different brands I have 308 different colors of glass. I guess I'm a glass Ho!

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2010-11-22, 2:14am
Gimme that silver glass!

I think I have at least one rod of every color there is available from Effetre, CIM, TAG and Double Helix. Then I also have a Vetrofond, ASK, Kugler, Bullseye, Precision, StrikingColor and Reichenbach. I'm way over 200 different colors of soft glass. But please just don't tell my hubby .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-11-22, 7:51am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Mine is at or around 60. I'd have more if I could afford it, lol.

Old 2012-03-08, 12:47am

Thats kinda personal isn't it? How many colors I have LOL, I cant really put it in writing or else my husband might find out. Besides I dont have that much and I cant count it becasue all my transparent blues are mixed up but I do know that I dont have enough glass
Old 2012-03-08, 3:01am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

186 - I blame it all on Mike Frantz and his stupid 70% off Vetrofond sales.

Mike! When you gonna have another sale?! I get paid next week!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-03-09, 4:25pm

I have 88 colors not including single rods, if I include that then I have closer to 100! I feel that is not near enough so I am going to Howaco tonight to buy some more. I also think i need more murrini. Hmm it never ends!

Caroline
Old 2012-03-11, 10:20pm

Is that number before or after the UPS guy comes tomorrow?

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-03-12, 3:09pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobeth View Post
Is that number before or after the UPS guy comes tomorrow?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-03-12, 8:34pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Wowee.. I did a rough guesstimate, and voted 40-60, and I've been at it for 17 months already. I should have a lot more than that!
I can only but aspire. Sigh.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-10, 12:30pm

pphhhhhhhhhh ...

I voted 180+ a while ago. Now I made a sort of inventory and counted: 421 colors - partly only one rod of it to try (whoch I still did not). I must be crazy.

Kreszentia

My Etsy-Shop:
- selling worldwide for 5 Euros s&h flat
My Homepage:

My facebook:
Old 2013-02-10, 11:18am

Is this a contest? She/he who dies with the most colors wins. I'm in.
Old 2013-04-11, 12:31pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

In 104 I avoid the alabastro and opalino. I have mostly Effetre with Vetro, CIM and some of the one time off batches like curdled ivory. I buy what I like and use. I've never counted. Besides I have 3 batches of Effetre mustard yellow, so is that one color or 3?
Old 2013-04-14, 3:10pm

I finally had to divide my fence posts in half with foam board to make more room. My hubby came out to see how it was going. He hadn't been out for a while. He asked, "I guess that's a couple of hundred in glass, right?" I, of course, said, "yeh, that's right."

He has actually been very supportive of every artsy thing I've ever done. He knows how much I've got-heck, he's been with me when I bought some of it.

Old 2013-04-21, 3:35pm

Ive only been lampworking for about 2 weeks but I have about 30 colors not including my stringer variety packs...give it some time...
Old 2014-02-28, 12:27pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

I voted 121-140 range. Our studio glass (for us and our students) is certainly a lot. Plus, we have our own personal bundles and stashes...so who knows. It might be way more than that!!

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2014-06-30, 4:49pm
Super Duper

I quickly multiplied out the tubes and I'm at over 300 if you count the color bar.
I generally try to avoid odd lots since I find they just end up getting hoarded.

Old 2014-07-05, 6:23pm
Queen of the milo field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb L View Post
I finally had to divide my fence posts in half with foam board to make more room. My hubby came out to see how it was going. He hadn't been out for a while. He asked, "I guess that's a couple of hundred in glass, right?" I, of course, said, "yeh, that's right."
Baawaahaahaa!

Don't ask, don't tell.

[I just got some $ for a birthday prezzie - wouldn't you know Franz would be having a free shipping offer to tempt me!]

dj
Old 2014-07-07, 4:43am
StudioMarcy

Oh those neatly organized tubes look so wonderful! Nice job. And I am so happy to read about all of you having loads of wonderful colors to play with.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2017-08-29, 7:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp View Post
I quickly multiplied out the tubes and I'm at over 300 if you count the color bar.
I generally try to avoid odd lots since I find they just end up getting hoarded.

Drool lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2017-09-02, 2:13pm

I took a guess, but I did not count frit, so I guess I underestimated.
Old 2017-09-09, 6:48pm

I think I have too many colors although I usually order 1/4 lb unlesss I discover I really like it and then I order more. The exception is order plenty of white, black, and ivory (light and dark) in larger quantities. There are so many colors I want to try, but I haven't even used some colors. Recently, I reordered by glass by color and that was helpful.

-
-