LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-06-23, 9:57am
See my quote!!

Carmen thank you for bringing that to my attention. I'm glad I went over and read her blog.

Peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-06-23, 10:05am
Broken

I have tried and tried to ignore the comments about "copy police" and "clubs". I didn't come in and insult anyone, didn't call names yet now some of us who don't agree are part of a "club" and "petty".

I am strong minded and speak it, I don't expect people to change their mind simply because I state my opinion on something. But I do not appreciate being called names and belittled simply because I didn't like what I saw happening and spoke my mind.

Sherry, you have handled this with alot of grace and class.

Old 2008-06-23, 10:20am
See my quote!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
I have tried and tried to ignore the comments about "copy police" and "clubs". I didn't come in and insult anyone, didn't call names yet now some of us who don't agree are part of a "club" and "petty".

I am strong minded and speak it, I don't expect people to change their mind simply because I state my opinion on something. But I do not appreciate being called names and belittled simply because I didn't like what I saw happening and spoke my mind.

Sherry, you have handled this with alot of grace and class.
If my comments which never named names, never pointed fingers have struck such a nerve. Then I have to ask why!!! Show me where I directly called you 'anything' or addressed you directly besides this post and I'll apologise!!!

My comments about a 'country club' + 'copy police' was a generalisation about what I perceive and feel regarding this forum and newcomers trying to join in and was never about those disagreeing in this thread.

So in all honesty if the shoe fits, wear it.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-06-23, 10:27am
Broken

Well now Michelle , I could have easily said what you just did to the people who came in and got so defensive when they felt their were accused of copying now couldn't I?

Meh, I am entitled to an opinion and speak my mind, no club needed for me to voice my opinion.

Old 2008-06-23, 10:32am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
I can't wait to buy your tutorial Sherry as well as getting into a class with you. Your post on your blog was very enlightening about how you feel on the subject that has been discussed. I am so glad I read it.
I suggest you guys check Sherry's blog for her opinion and the truth!
I checked it... she's a very generous soul... kind and open. Much love and respect to her...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-23, 10:36am
boro color bender

I went back and read the thread again... man, I did ok. I'm surprised I never lost my cool when I got told to shove it up my ass and got called names... I didn't call anybody any names in return and I'm pretty proud of how people on this side of the street handled themselves. At least so far, so before I do call anybody names, I'm bailing out. I hope folks will try to see the message for what it is and respect each other's work as much as possible. My hats off to you Sherry... Keep up the great work, you are a true gem.

The challenge is still open to anybody who wants to play.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-23, 10:44am
See my quote!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
Well now Michelle , I could have easily said what you just did to the people who came in and got so defensive when they felt their were accused of copying now couldn't I?

Meh, I am entitled to an opinion and speak my mind, no club needed for me to voice my opinion.
Nicker, essentially the arguing started due to a 'respect' issue regarding a technique which is in the process of becoming a tutorial and lampworkers in their eagerness 'picking' the technique apart before the tutorial had been able to see the light of day. Nobody essentially in the beginning was directly accused of blatant/verbatim copying. The thread then evolved - to where copying and other issues became well issues.

We are all entitled to our opinions.

Old 2008-06-23, 10:48am

This is so sad. Once again we are back to who is copying who and who has business ethics and who doesn't. It seems to me the copy police only get involved when the bead in question belongs to someone who teaches or what they consider a "true" artist. There is and has always been this kind of "groupie" click here on LE. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with admiring those that have touched you with their art. I am saying it is pathetic that everyone's beads have been what your term "copied" at one point or time and no one says anything until the dollar becomes involved. I've seen some incredibly beautiful beads created by what I term "unknowns". No one ever steps up to defend them when their beads are "copied" and I have seen them "copied". I don't know why some believe the only "original and new ideas" come from those teaching or those in the "im making money" group. No one likes to see something they believe was their idea "copied". But, look at the world. Everything that exists has been done in one form or fashion at some previous time. To believe that ANY bead being made today is soley one persons idea is ridiculous. EVERY bead ever shown on this board has bits and pieces of everyones knowledge used to create it. If any of you believe otherwise you are living in a dream world. Every time someone comes up with something a little different that creates a buzz within this community a select few have to jump in and start the whole "I've got your back" scenario. I don't think Sherry needed anyone to defend her or to turn this thread into what it has become. Sherry has done well to interact with the posters on this thread. She seems perfectly capable of letting someone know if she feels they have "disrespected" her. Everything in this thread was going along fine. Everyone enjoying themselves, treating each other with respect and then "BAM". As usual, a few feel they have to start policing the thread, brownie points are up for grabs with the offended artist. Funny thing though, Sherry never said she felt disrespected or copied. The bead police decided this for her. I feel embarrassed for the newbie beadmakers and those new to the forum. You go to the "Tutorial" section to ask a question and before you know it you are attacked. Maybe the "tutorial" section should be deleted. Then no one could share their ideas, techniques, thoughts, or anything else that might be interesting. Oh, I forgot, only certain artists earn the respect of the bead police. If you aren't teaching, or a common household name to the bead community you won't have to worry about anyone caring if your beads are copied. If you are one of those teaching or your name is everywhere in the bead world, don't worry your beads are safe. You won't have to say a word to protect yourself or your beads. The bead police are patroling day and night just for you........................
Old 2008-06-23, 11:02am
Smile, it's contagious!

Towards the end of May, after I read the thread in the game room where Anouk posted her heart bead and asked people to try and figure out how she made them, I made (and sold) these two beads.

I did the mesh part on a maria, like an implosion, then added it to the bead. (like most of my attempts at off mandrel implosions, my "imploded" parts ended up getting flattened) I called them "imploded" pig/turtle. When I checked back on the thread, she said she didn't use an implosion technique, so I knew I didn't figure out what technique she used. I did end up with a similar effect though.

I'm pretty sure I showed these in the daily s&t threads... I don't recall getting any bad vibes from anyone when I did, but now I must wonder what people were thinking of me!

I didn't know this thread/discussion was going on until someone mentioned it in the family room thread the other day. If I stepped on any one's toes, or offended anyone when I made these beads, I sincerely apologize! I meant no disrespect towards anyone.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2008-06-23, 11:05am

Cool beads, Gelly. I love them!!
Old 2008-06-23, 11:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Sorry chicky-poo; no can do. I'm already processing your application. Are you fish, meat, or vegan for the annual bruhaha?
Well shit ...I guess I will have to go with the fish. I would have done vegan but someone introduced me to home brewed mead (wine made from honey) and the alcoholic in me won't give it up.
Old 2008-06-23, 11:35am

Okay, listen, I wasn't trying to be "uncalled for" or childish. I don't know where you are getting that and completely baffled by the response. I meant no offense to anyone by it. I was simply trying to lighten things up. If you took offense to it, I am not sure why. I don't know what Steiff Bears crying and wailing about it even means. I am really confused by your response to my very lighthearted comment, not meant to hurt or inflame anyone. I can't apologize for it because I really really really did not mean any harm nor did I mean it in a smartass way. I had mentioned in my post that I had been making teddy bears and that is all. All I can say is that you can choose to be mad about my comment but anyone that knows me would say that I really did not intend that to be mean, childish or uncalled for. I am confused but it really doesn't matter. Be mad if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Smith View Post
Rachel, the Teddy Bear remark was uncalled for and very childish. Anyway been there and done it and did'nt have Steiff Bears crying and wailing about it and they were reproduction bears.
As for the rest it just beggars belief.
Two points:-
1. How any teacher who is selling her information to other people as a business can have the cheek to tell them what to do with the information I do not understand. When you buy something it is yours to do with as you please. By all means acknowledge the artist if you want but the minute someone sells something it no longer belongs to them.

2. Brent, I really think that your problem with Kevan is not for public viewing and stating on quite a few occasions now, if I remember correctly, that you dislike her is not constructive to anyone and quite frankly not something that I like reading about on the public forum.

Lynne S

Old 2008-06-23, 11:38am

You are wrong about that. I was concerned for the direction the thread was going and simply trying to lighten it up. That is all. Take it however you want but you are terribly off base here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Smith View Post
Miriam, I'm not sure what you mean. If you took a photograph and framed it and sold it to me I would own that photograph. I would not own the negative, in the days there were negatives, but I would own that particular photograph. With lessons, it is slightly different. But if you taught someone, for money, to take photographs in a particular way I cannot see how you would have the right to tell them what type of photographs they could take and if they wanted to pass on the knowledge I don't think that you could justifiable stop that either.
Suzanne, there is no other way to take the remark than what I did. It certainly was'nt said in a caring, concerned way.
Lynne S

Old 2008-06-23, 11:40am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post
Towards the end of May, after I read the thread in the game room where Anouk posted her heart bead and asked people to try and figure out how she made them, I made (and sold) these two beads.

I did the mesh part on a maria, like an implosion, then added it to the bead. (like most of my attempts at off mandrel implosions, my "imploded" parts ended up getting flattened) I called them "imploded" pig/turtle. When I checked back on the thread, she said she didn't use an implosion technique, so I knew I didn't figure out what technique she used. I did end up with a similar effect though.

I'm pretty sure I showed these in the daily s&t threads... I don't recall getting any bad vibes from anyone when I did, but now I must wonder what people were thinking of me!

I didn't know this thread/discussion was going on until someone mentioned it in the family room thread the other day. If I stepped on any one's toes, or offended anyone when I made these beads, I sincerely apologize! I meant no disrespect towards anyone.

That's exactly the way I would have done them. I'm going to do two implosions off mandrel and use them on the sides of a fish bead.

I really like the way it looks on the turtle!

Old 2008-06-23, 11:43am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
This is so sad. Once again we are back to who is copying who and who has business ethics and who doesn't. It seems to me the copy police only get involved when the bead in question belongs to someone who teaches or what they consider a "true" artist. There is and has always been this kind of "groupie" click here on LE. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with admiring those that have touched you with their art. I am saying it is pathetic that everyone's beads have been what your term "copied" at one point or time and no one says anything until the dollar becomes involved. I've seen some incredibly beautiful beads created by what I term "unknowns". No one ever steps up to defend them when their beads are "copied" and I have seen them "copied". I don't know why some believe the only "original and new ideas" come from those teaching or those in the "im making money" group. No one likes to see something they believe was their idea "copied". But, look at the world. Everything that exists has been done in one form or fashion at some previous time. To believe that ANY bead being made today is soley one persons idea is ridiculous. EVERY bead ever shown on this board has bits and pieces of everyones knowledge used to create it. If any of you believe otherwise you are living in a dream world. Every time someone comes up with something a little different that creates a buzz within this community a select few have to jump in and start the whole "I've got your back" scenario. I don't think Sherry needed anyone to defend her or to turn this thread into what it has become. Sherry has done well to interact with the posters on this thread. She seems perfectly capable of letting someone know if she feels they have "disrespected" her. Everything in this thread was going along fine. Everyone enjoying themselves, treating each other with respect and then "BAM". As usual, a few feel they have to start policing the thread, brownie points are up for grabs with the offended artist. Funny thing though, Sherry never said she felt disrespected or copied. The bead police decided this for her. I feel embarrassed for the newbie beadmakers and those new to the forum. You go to the "Tutorial" section to ask a question and before you know it you are attacked. Maybe the "tutorial" section should be deleted. Then no one could share their ideas, techniques, thoughts, or anything else that might be interesting. Oh, I forgot, only certain artists earn the respect of the bead police. If you aren't teaching, or a common household name to the bead community you won't have to worry about anyone caring if your beads are copied. If you are one of those teaching or your name is everywhere in the bead world, don't worry your beads are safe. You won't have to say a word to protect yourself or your beads. The bead police are patroling day and night just for you........................
I'm sorry you feel there's an injustice to the new bead makers. I whole heartedly defend your right to say something about it... but I will also say that myself and the people who posted in support of the message I was trying to convey, treated the people we were talking to a lot better than you and several others have in response.

I for one was never here to get brownie points with anybody... but thanks for belittling my message and opinion. Trust me... it's got nothing to do with protecting anybody in particular. The is no copy police or country club that I'm aware of...

I'm sorry I wasn't able to convey my point so that it didn't hurt feelings... it was never a message of copying, until Kevan brought that into the picture claiming she had never copied anybody. I'm sorry for responding to that line of thinking... this wasn't the place for it and I do think it clouded the intended message.

Old 2008-06-23, 11:47am

Thank you Suzanne. I was honeslty shocked when I saw that my comment had offended her. I didn't mean it to be snarky or nasty. When I am snarky and nasty, there is now question if it is snarky or nasty. I really really didn't mean any offense but I can't help how it was taken. I was just trying to lighten things up that clearly didn't want to be lightened up. But, I do appreciate you trying. I've never had a conversation with Lynne before now and I don't know her so I have no reason to try to offend her with a comment about teddy bears. Seriously. Thank you for your comment. I do appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
Lynne I don't think Rachel meant that in a snarky nasty way, at least I didn't pick up on that but then again, I don't pick up on a lot of things lately....

Old 2008-06-23, 11:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
That's exactly the way I would have done them. I'm going to do two implosions off mandrel and use them on the sides of a fish bead.!

Oh MaryBeth... that sound SO neat.... can't wait to see it. I also loved the turtle Gelly... very cool!

Old 2008-06-23, 11:55am
Smile, it's contagious!

Thanks everyone.

I didn't have any copper mesh, so I used silver. I did the pig first, of course (even though I know silver fumes pink to yellow, I still try to use them together and hope it wont happen, lol!!)... and when I saw how the imploded parts smashed, it kinda reminded me of the pattern on a turtle shell... so I had to make a turtle.

I think it would look awesome as fish scales Mary Beth!!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2008-06-23, 12:04pm

Love your beads Gelly, I did try this "implosion" idea but mine failed terribly!
Old 2008-06-23, 12:05pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
I can't wait to buy your tutorial Sherry as well as getting into a class with you. Your post on your blog was very enlightening about how you feel on the subject that has been discussed. I am so glad I read it.
I suggest you guys check Sherry's blog for her opinion and the truth!
Thank you for pointing this out. Not only do you get to hear Sherry's feelings on this subject (which do NOT seem to mirror Brent's, her self appointed guardian) you get to marvel at her beautiful beads.

Thank you Sherry for taking the time to address this topic.
Old 2008-06-23, 12:06pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Now let's all hold hands, and sing...

Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah!
Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah!
Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah.
O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's crying, Lord, Kum ba yah!
O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's singing, Lord, Kum ba yah!
O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's praying, Lord, Kum ba yah!
O Lord, Kum ba yah

We could even sing it as a round, that way everyone's "just a little bit off".

and, just so you know, I'm SO not an organized religion person.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-06-23, 12:11pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
We could even sing it as a round, that way everyone's "just a little bit off".

and, just so you know, I'm SO not an organized religion person.
It's good to mention that before someone calls you a crazy christian.
Old 2008-06-23, 12:11pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
It's good to mention that before someone calls you a crazy christian.
Ah but I am...I'm certifiable, and my name's Christian.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-06-23, 12:14pm

I am really sorry you feel the way you do but deleting the tutorial section would be a huge, giant, unbelievable mistake. I am sorry that a few new people started a thread that ended up being controversial. Everyone that contributed to it can decide if they feel good or bad about what they did or didn't do. But the tutorial section is there because many people wanted to share their knowledge and creted the tutorials. There is a big difference between someone creating a tutorial and generously placing it in the tutorials for everyone to have than what happened here. Sorry, but even after the statement was made that tutorial was coming, I remember one post that said they just couldn't wait that long and wanted to know now. I am sorry but bringing someone else's work here for others to pick apart without the knowledge of the artist is very different than having a tutorial section full of information that many people have created and generously put there for everyone to learn. It is a shame this thread has become so controversial and I am sorry for the new people that have become afraid to ask questions so hopefully this will be a learning experience for everyone.

Quote:

Old 2008-06-23, 12:14pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Ah but I am...I'm certifiable, and my name's Christian.

Well played, madam. Well played.
Old 2008-06-23, 12:33pm

Rachel, I truly don't want the "tutorial" section deleted. I love reading it and I feel like it is a wonderful place. I made the commit to show how much we are losing by not letting the posts "be". The whole thread turned negative when someone decided it was their place to "speak" for Sherry. That is my only concern. We are all adults and I hope we can speak for ourselves if we feel the need to do so. We will never all agree on anything other than our love of glass and beads. If everyone will go read Sherry's blog they will quickly find out what she feels about this entire discussion on her technique. This thread has been blown out of context. I won't speak for Sherry as some have so I'll leave it to her blog. It sums up this whole thread!!
Old 2008-06-23, 12:48pm

I have to admit, throughout the entire thread ( I came to it after the copying issue) I wondered what Sherry's view was. She doesn't owe an explanation, but since some were defending her, I couldn't help wonder if she wanted to be defended.

The following is not directed at Sherry, but to anyone who sells their art.

To be an artist, and to run a business are 2 different things. It is one thing to create something, to decide to sell it or the technique used in the process, is some thing different. Anyone who is going to form a business from their artwork has to consider how the market for that item functions. Part of the business plan should include how to introduce new items, and how to further market the item, as well as the artist.

Many artists don't want to be business owners, and hire people to represent their interests in the marketplace. Once you decide to wear both hats, then the artist becomes responsible for the business side, which includes protecting both your artwork and it's value, and how to market yourself, as well as your creation. Many may disagree,, but I honestly feel you should consider the future of your business in every aspect of your artistic endeavors, once you've have turned it in to a business.
Lori
Old 2008-06-23, 12:49pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Thank you Suzanne. I was honeslty shocked when I saw that my comment had offended her. I didn't mean it to be snarky or nasty. When I am snarky and nasty, there is now question if it is snarky or nasty. I really really didn't mean any offense but I can't help how it was taken. I was just trying to lighten things up that clearly didn't want to be lightened up. But, I do appreciate you trying. I've never had a conversation with Lynne before now and I don't know her so I have no reason to try to offend her with a comment about teddy bears. Seriously. Thank you for your comment. I do appreciate it.
oh thank goodness, I didn't miss anything. I honoustly did not see anything nasty in your comment, and I still don't see it

Old 2008-06-23, 12:49pm
Broken

I never spoke for Sherry, I simply posted my opinion. Which as I said before I dont expect people change their because I shared my opinion.

Sherry fantastic blog, I never knew you had one.

Old 2008-06-23, 12:52pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Rachel, I truly don't want the "tutorial" section deleted. I love reading it and I feel like it is a wonderful place. I made the commit to show how much we are losing by not letting the posts "be". The whole thread turned negative when someone decided it was their place to "speak" for Sherry. That is my only concern. We are all adults and I hope we can speak for ourselves if we feel the need to do so. We will never all agree on anything other than our love of glass and beads. If everyone will go read Sherry's blog they will quickly find out what she feels about this entire discussion on her technique. This thread has been blown out of context. I won't speak for Sherry as some have so I'll leave it to her blog. It sums up this whole thread!!
I NEVER spoke for Sherry... I spoke for myself and my posts contain my concern for the way this was handled... nothing more nothing less. If people are going to take it upon themselves to pick apart an artists work, instead of going to them for the information, it's a sad sorry disrespectful way to go about learning. If this is the new way things are going to be done, I hope you all enjoy it, because I won't participate in or condone this form of "taking" / "learning". Period. If somebody asks me how one of my fellow glass workers made a bead I will still politely refer them to the creator and let the creator answer if they choose to share. It's not my place and I don't think it's any body's place to behave in such self serving impatient childish "I want it right now" way. The tutorial section was set up to have the artists list THEIR tutorials... not so other people could make them up for them. I hope this turns out wonderfully for Sherry... I hope her tutorial is a huge hit and I hope none of our bickering and nonsense reflects poorly on her or her work... because she really is a class act. She's got more class than any of us... I have to admit that I expected more... from everybody. I'm off to the pool... I need to cool off.