LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Old 2008-02-16, 3:16pm
sous verre

Default Mini-cc and oxygen increase issue

Have had my mini-cc for about 6 months. Am running it on NG and a M-15 oxygen concentrator (also 6 months old). Yesterday I was trying to strike some glass and I turned up the oxy knob and there was no increase in flow. I didn't get that normal hissy sound and the flame didn't get as sharp as normal.

Did the leak test on the torch in a pail of water today, saw a few bubbles and tightened up the nuts on the oxy and gas knobs. No more bubbles. Also took off the valve seat to see if anything there. Nada. Took my compressor and blasted air through the torch too.

Hooked it all back up and I get a great neutral flame but I still can't get the increased oxy flow when I turn up the knob, even if I go all the way.

Spoke to Carlisle and the suggested the standard tests and then weren't too much help. Thought maybe the OxyCon had an issue (rate of flow on Oxycon stays constant per the little ball)...and called them but they said they didn't really know but I could send it back if I wanted (??)

I'm thinking of sending the torch back to Carlisle to have them check it out since we're both in Jersey, but I thought I might bounce this here first to see if anyone has a suggestion? Thanks...
Old 2008-02-16, 4:37pm

Jeanne, I think my first question would be, are you using your normal neutral flame, or a larger neutral flame? In other words, in case that is as clear as mud, when you first started using the torch and concentrator, was your neutral flame smaller so that you had the ability to have an oxydizing flame, but now that you are more familiar with the setup, have you started using a larger neutral flame so that now you have nowhere to go?

The other possibility is that the oxygen concentration could be less now. Do you have a filter you could change on the oxycon? I, personally, would lean more to it being a problem with the concentrator than with the torch.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-16, 5:09pm
No Problem!

Yup, sounds like the oxy-con to me.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-02-16, 6:01pm
sous verre

I have an Unlimited Oxygen M-15 Concentrator. I called them and told them my issue and they didn't feel it was the concentrator but said I could ship it back to them and they could test it. (I'm in Jersey, they're in Indiana).

I inquired about the filters - there's a simple one on the outside that's just foam which I cleaned, and there's an interior one as well. I looked at it and it seemed fine - completely white. I did ask about this interior filter as an issue but he said he didn't think that was it. I popped the interior filter out but can't seem to open the plastic casing that it's in. I do remember reading somewhere that the filter should be replaced every six months and that's where I was heading initially. But after I talked to U/O, I became doubtful and decided to look at the torch.

Ideally it would be nice to try and run the oxycon on another torch to see if it's one or the other but I only have one torch.....

Last edited by kirksglassart; 2008-02-17 at 6:45am.
Old 2008-02-18, 10:00am
Button Queen

If you have access to an oxygen tank set-up you could test out your torch on the tank. If it still behaves the same way, then it's probably the torch. Otherwise, it's probably the oxycon.
Old 2008-02-18, 3:01pm
sous verre

Thanks all for your replies. I ordered a couple of filter sets and will give that a go. I torched a lot today and it seemed a little better but not like it was before. Should have the filters in a day or so and that will probably give me an idea. Thanks again!
Old 2008-02-19, 12:54pm
William Hagy

Grab a tank of compressed oxy and see if your problem gets solved

~W~

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.