Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-04-18, 7:53am
...displaced ocean lover

Talking Cleaning Boro Rods

Okay....I picked up my new torch and she also had some glass!
So I bought (waaaaaay too much) some.

There were 3 or 4 clear TUBES! Yikes.

And some giant and then regular sized clear.
Man, this Boro is giant stuff compared to my little 104 Rods!

So, do you all clean it with that homemade pickle stuff or just wash it or rub with alcohol....??? I mean, it's glass so I guess you just clean it like I clean my 104, right?? (but how the heck do you FIT it into a sink or pan!?)

BTW...thanks so much for all the help you guys are giving me!!
The pm's have been awesome as well. Thanks so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-04-18, 8:02am

I just wipe mine with my shirt before going into the fire. I store it so it doesn't collect dust. Once or twice I had to run warm water through a tube.

Pickle stuff? This can't be what I'm imagining.

I left out one "r" on the first sentence. It changed the message dramatically. Glad I actually proof read this one.
Old 2012-04-18, 8:26am
...displaced ocean lover

bwwwaaaahahahaaaa....yes...yes it would have changed the way I look at Boro in general!

Pickle, yeah...Pat Frantz had something on her website apparently. And then others just make it with salt and vinegar.

I think I'll wash it in some really hot water and see how we do. It is really dusty b/c it was laying around quite a while I guess.

Some of it is from "new color company" ?? Who is that???

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Last edited by Roo Blaty; 2012-04-18 at 8:38am.
Old 2012-04-18, 9:36am

I usually wipe my rods with alcohol on a paper towel right before I use them. I work out in the garage and during pollen season the yellow crap gets all over everything.
New Color Company is Paramore and I don't know if I'm spelling that right.

Old 2012-04-18, 9:39am

No pickling needed here. Just wipe it down with a cloth and some 91% Iso Alcohol and you should be good to go. You will be amazed by the difference in clarity.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:35am
...displaced ocean lover

okay! Thanks ...cleaning away...

some of them have rubber band remains on them, ick....

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-20, 12:52pm
Catchen' the Sun

I just put some hand sanitizer on my hand and clean the rod with it. sparkling clean. cheap and your hands get clean too. Yes I am ocd on that one.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2012-04-20, 1:46pm
ManBearPig

You have to clean them?

Old 2012-04-20, 2:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
You have to clean them?

scum is your friend
Old 2012-04-20, 7:54pm
Pyromaniac

oxy burns it right off!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-04-21, 5:21am

you might try windex
Old 2012-04-21, 7:34am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Armpit method here!
LOL
Old 2012-04-21, 9:19am
Pyromaniac

yeah, I'm pretty much a wipe it off and hope for the best kind of guy... though I'll rinse/clean dirty tubing if there's crap on the inside.

Old 2012-04-21, 9:19am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Armpit method here!
LOL
Just make sure the rod is room temp. first.
Old 2012-04-21, 1:06pm
Borovangelist

I've had some color rods (colormax and devardi in particular) that had some sort of grimy crap on them so I did clean them well.

Borostix sometimes have some refractory stuck on them from the molds, so you have to keep an eye on that and scrub them if necessary.

Clear? Usually goes under the pits if I'm in the middle of something or I just use my shirt tail if I actually plan ahead for a change.

|
|
Old 2012-04-21, 11:34pm
Bead semi-newbie

It is Parramore glass. i went to his home page and clicked on the colors button and nothing happened so much for seeing what he is selling. computer challenged.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-04-22, 6:51am
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraconklin View Post
It is Parramore glass. i went to his home page and clicked on the colors button and nothing happened so much for seeing what he is selling. computer challenged.
Thankfully, in an evil scheme to turn a profit, Parramore sells glass to glass suppliers too.

http://www.mountainglass.com/Products/ROGER-PARRAMORE/

BTW -- Buy it direct from him if your buying 5#+++. Mountain is HIGH RETAIL and there's not any Parramore color I know of worth $60/# yet. Not for pastels.........
Old 2012-04-23, 7:24am
...displaced ocean lover

Thanks for all the answers and support!!

Ok, you are all right about the clear being REALLY clear! OMG!
Why is Boro soooo clear and 104 is usually not, AND I have to clean and clean.

Some of the rods did need a bit of a bath since they were sitting and collecting dust and rubber band guts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-25, 12:21pm
Catchen' the Sun

I just make it a habit to clean all the glass I am planning to use when I sit down. If I do it before I light my torch then I have clean hands and clean glass.
you can see Paramore colors on any of the websites that sell glass. I am not sure where the best prices are or not I just buy all my glass at either Mt. Glass or ABR. Both great people and super fast shipping. I hate spending hundreds of dollars on an order and know that it can physically be at my house in 24 - 48 hours depending on where I buy it and them not even ship it for 5 business days add in weekends we are sometimes looking at 7-10 days to get it in the mail and another 3-5 days to get it. If I buy from ABR or Mt. Glass then I have it by 9 am the next day and I do not pay extra for that.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2012-04-25, 12:31pm
Hobby Junkie

Boro doesn't really need to be cleaned. Even rubber band goop burns right off (as do stickers). It is one of the joys of boro. LOL!

Enjoy the boro, Roo! Soon you'll be storing away the soft glass.

Old 2012-04-25, 2:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
Boro doesn't really need to be cleaned. Even rubber band goop burns right off (as do stickers). It is one of the joys of boro. LOL!

You live in a different world than I do or maybe our standards are different. Whos clear boro do you use?
Old 2012-04-25, 3:13pm
Pyromaniac

Boro does let you get away with murder but it does need to be cleaned. Sometimes

Old 2012-04-25, 4:20pm
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
You live in a different world than I do or maybe our standards are different. Whos clear boro do you use?
I have Corning Pyrex at the moment (it's the clear that Wale, my local glass place, carries). Every so often the 20mm stuff has a bit of scuzz on it which I need to pull off when I'm making marbles, but even that is rare.

Old 2012-04-27, 9:24am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharyl View Post
I just make it a habit to clean all the glass I am planning to use when I sit down. If I do it before I light my torch then I have clean hands and clean glass.
you can see Paramore colors on any of the websites that sell glass. I am not sure where the best prices are or not I just buy all my glass at either Mt. Glass or ABR. Both great people and super fast shipping. I hate spending hundreds of dollars on an order and know that it can physically be at my house in 24 - 48 hours depending on where I buy it and them not even ship it for 5 business days add in weekends we are sometimes looking at 7-10 days to get it in the mail and another 3-5 days to get it. If I buy from ABR or Mt. Glass then I have it by 9 am the next day and I do not pay extra for that.
SUPER glad to know this!!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post

Thanks Cori!!! I can't imagine not having my 104 but I will say...just having a single coe in the studio would make my life easier!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-27, 9:26am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Boro does let you get away with murder but it does need to be cleaned. Sometimes
It's all cleaned up. It had sat for quite some time so it did need more than the ole underarm trick. (believe me, it's the first thing I tried)

But you guys are right about boro being the clear of the clear! wow!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-27, 9:45am
Curmudgeon Engineering

As you get more experience you will find, as with soft glass, that different boro clears react with different colors/types of colors in different ways. Your work style or typical work pieces may dictate one clear over another or it may not matter at all.
Old 2012-04-27, 10:49am
Pyromaniac

I need to try some kimble for my fume game. I've been working with simax and I'm still wrestling with that, but I watched a demo with kimble that made my mouth water - and simax most definitely did not do the same thing when I tried it at home.

Old 2012-04-27, 11:05am
ManBearPig

I used to swear by Kimble for fuming. A friend of mine is about as good at fuming as anyone I've ever seen, and he recommended it to me originally. He's been teaching in other countries and can only get Simax there so he's been practicing with it and can get colors that are just as good with the Simax. Not sure how...

www.tiemeyerglass.com

Old 2012-04-27, 11:56am
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I used to swear by Kimble for fuming. A friend of mine is about as good at fuming as anyone I've ever seen, and he recommended it to me originally. He's been teaching in other countries and can only get Simax there so he's been practicing with it and can get colors that are just as good with the Simax. Not sure how...

www.tiemeyerglass.com
I haven't really done much fuming, but I want to. How does the Pyrex compare to Kimble or Simax???? Anyone know??? I have 2 cases of the stuff and really don't want to buy more clear until that goes down a bit.

Old 2012-04-27, 3:40pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Yeah, but tiemeyer can get fuming color out of beer bottle glass