LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-14, 11:07am

Question Oxygen concentrators--purchase price vs. long warranty period; please advise

I'm currently working on setting up a small bead studio and have decided to use an oxygen concentrator with natural gas. I'll probably be using a Minor torch. I've discussed oxycons with one beadmaker friend and she recommended a particular seller as having good warranty service. They do offer a five-year warranty, but the cost (for example) of a Millenium is 75% more from them than from another vendor who is offering a one-year warranty and free shipping. Money is an issue, but I don't want to end up with lots of problems either. Both sellers are selling reconditioned machines.

So what I'm asking for here is primarily just any thoughts, observations, experiences that might help me make my gamble here. Are these machines prone to develop problems frequently? If so, that might make me lean toward paying more for a longer warranty. Or do they tend to be pretty reliable?

I should mention that initially at least I would probably be using the machine for a few hours a couple of times a week; I am a full-time woodturner and taking up beadmaking part-time as someplace to "play." It's something I've always wanted to do; I took a class a year ago and have had one session with a kind friend who gave me some time on her torch and some very helpful instruction. I've been trying to get set up since and am finally making progress.

Thanks for all comments, information, suggestions, etc.

Judy
Old 2011-12-14, 8:10pm
Student!

Default look on Craigslist

I purchased 2 oxycons off Craigslist very cheaply. Both had less than 10,000 hours and have only needed filters so far.

Check your local ads, you just may find something very affordable!

Cheryl
Old 2011-12-15, 1:43pm

It depends on the "rebuild" done. I've seen some "rebuilt" machines come through our doors where they replace the bare minimum to get it to put out purity and to withstand a minimal warranty. Believe it or not, aside from the "bare minimum" there is quite a lot of detail inside the machine that can prolong its life!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-15, 1:48pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I bought a new M-10 and used it with my Mega Minor and used it for about 2 years only needing occassional cleaning of the filter. I am in the process of selling the mega minor, and only using a Cricket with super results. I hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2011-12-15, 3:38pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Like any machine it all depends. The one sure thing is that a machine will break. The tricky part is when. I have two AirSeps that get minimal attention and have lasted me 7 or 8 years. As Justin says it also depends on what was "rebuilt" and what that means to them, not you. Personally given the choices you mentioned I would go with the cheaper one with free shipping. Shipping can be a bit much on one of these. Keeping an eye on craigs list and eBay is also a good thing to do depending on how long you can stand to wait....LOL
Old 2011-12-15, 5:22pm

dont get your hopes up on ebay. the FDA wont allow them for sale on ebay and they are always pulled before the auction ends. Craigslist might be a good avenue.

Old 2011-12-15, 5:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
dont get your hopes up on ebay. the FDA wont allow them for sale on ebay and they are always pulled before the auction ends. Craigslist might be a good avenue.
Because they are classified as medical devices?
Old 2011-12-15, 8:03pm

yup, prescription items. Even if you clearly state "hobby use only...not a medical device"

Old 2011-12-16, 1:16pm

I appreciate all your comments very much; thank you for taking the time to respond. All are helpful in terms of background information.

I've decided for the moment to go ahead and get the lower-priced one; I need so many things to set up the new studio, and it's going to be an avocation at least in the foreseeable future (I am a full-time woodturner), so I have quite limited funds. Ordinarily I try never to skimp on tools, but in this case, saving that much money will make a difference with all the other things I need to buy. If I do get a couple of years' use out of it before I need to have it repaired or replaced...well, I hope that by then there won't be so many things I need all at once.

Again, thank you all for your comments. It's wonderful to have somewhere to turn for advice and suggestions, with so many considerations and decisions. I'm sure I'll be back again and again!

Judy
Old 2011-12-18, 5:35pm
one day at a time

I have an Airsep AS-12A that I have been running as full time lampworker for going on ten years without having to fix anything on it. I just wash the filter. But it cost me $2400. What's amazing is that I live in the very humid deep south Florida.
Old 2011-12-18, 6:39pm

Wow, for $2400 it ought to last a long time!

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 2011-12-19, 5:56am

Just make sure to keep your filters clean! Aside from the foam filters on the outside that you clean in your sink (let them air dry before reinstalling) there are also a couple filters inside the machine that should be changed annually!

Good luck

Old 2011-12-19, 9:34am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
Just make sure to keep your filters clean! Aside from the foam filters on the outside that you clean in your sink (let them air dry before reinstalling) there are also a couple filters inside the machine that should be changed annually!

Good luck
In the Airsep AS-12A?? I was told the only thing I had to worry about was the outside filter. This is a generator, not a concentrator. No one buys these anymore because of the price, unless they have the funds to spend for a machine that will last a really long time. It has some sort of internal dryer and I suppose that is why it survived this long here in FL.
Old 2011-12-19, 9:38am

Thanks, Justin, I will follow that advice. I take good care of machines, not counting the occasional neglect of toaster ovens...
Old 2011-12-19, 11:44am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Lisi,

The terms concentrator and generator are used interchangably in lampworking. Both type machines work on the same principle; Pressure Swing Absorption. Generally the term generator is used in larger commercially sized units and concentrator is used for rebuilt medical and similarly sized hobby units.
Old 2011-12-19, 3:10pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Lisi,

The terms concentrator and generator are used interchangably in lampworking. Both type machines work on the same principle; Pressure Swing Absorption. Generally the term generator is used in larger commercially sized units and concentrator is used for rebuilt medical and similarly sized hobby units.
True, but mine is built differently than let's say, the OG-15. Much better, actually. I'm glad I didn't make the mistake of buying that one, because I know of two lampworkers that had to replace the very expensive sieve beds on theirs, just a few years after purchase. Due to saturation. They weren't even living in an area as humid as mine is.
Old 2011-12-20, 12:25am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Could you tell us a bit more about it. I'm curious; how is it different and who made it etc.

PJH
Old 2011-12-20, 12:16pm
one day at a time

I don't think they make mine anymore, it's the Airsep AS-12A, which is the high pressure model of the AS-12. It was almost 10 years ago. I believe it's been replaced with the Topaz +. I bought mine from B.T.E.S, and the sales associate Armand was recommended to me by Karen Bye. Her studio is here:

http://www.byebead.com/studio.htm

She has the Oxybox, which was one of the original models before they named it the Airsep AS-12. Corina had an Oxybox too, and these machines were the choice of generators available other than the OG-15 at the time. Unless you had the $$$$ for an OnSite Pro. Here is the current website:

http://www.airsepcpd.com/airsepcpd/index.html

When I bought mine so long ago, there were several things about these generators that were different then the common medical concentrator. One of the things I remember about it is that the sieve beds are "zeolite" and they can last 20 years or more. Very expensive to replace if you damage them somehow...10 years ago, replacement for those was $800. Luckily, I never had to do it. Another thing I remember is that these machines have an "internal dryer" that the concentrators don't. The OG-15 didn't have them. Because I live in Florida and it's very humid here, plus my studio is not air-conditioned, I made the choice to spend a little more and get something that was going to last.

The medical concentrators and larger "generators" have improved a lot in the last few years, and they carry a 3-5 year warranty, plus excellent customer service, so that's nice. I have my eye on the Hurricane for a future larger torch set-up. Much lower price and higher pressure than the machine I have now. But will it last as long?? That's the question.

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-12-20 at 12:22pm.
Old 2011-12-20, 5:39pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I know Karen as she is a member of Fire and Rain, our local ISGB chapter. very nice lady.
I hadn't realized that AirSep made larger industrial size generators. I just never checked them out. Thanks for the info and I'll dig a bit deeper into the AirSeps as I have 2 of the smaller ones.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:43pm

My son, Mark, is 24 years old and uses a stationary oxygen concentrator that runs at night and is hooked into his Bi-Pap system. I have seen ads for Portable oxygen concentrators that run on DC and rechargeable batteries and say they can run for 8 hours at 3LPM. They weigh 10-17 pounds instead of the bi-zillion pounds our regular size concentrator weighs. I am looking for something like this to have in the car and to take with us when we go on vacation. Has anyone tried these and how did they work for you??

Old 2012-04-24, 11:37am
Believes in magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandyjoes View Post
My son, Mark, is 24 years old and uses a stationary oxygen concentrator that runs at night and is hooked into his Bi-Pap system. I have seen ads for Portable oxygen concentrators that run on DC and rechargeable batteries and say they can run for 8 hours at 3LPM. They weigh 10-17 pounds instead of the bi-zillion pounds our regular size concentrator weighs. I am looking for something like this to have in the car and to take with us when we go on vacation. Has anyone tried these and how did they work for you??
So why is it that you are "looking for" something that you yourself sell on the website link attached to your post? Just curious.