No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-10, 5:44pm
Help i am on fire

got my huge order from devardi today. they shipped it in 3 days wow!!!!! got to admit i am scared to use after reading all these posts. i don't do a lot of clear encasing. but i do mix different brands. i have never had ,ever ,any incompatibility problem. i have had stress , clean cracks. usually when i try to make really huge bead. i will make some beads tomorrow and post soon, wish me luck.

one thing i do want to say:

i bought a pound of silver black. each silver black rod is marked w/ a tag. so i will not get it mixed w/ reg. black. i like this so much. yes the rods are miss shaped. i don't nor do i hope i will have a problem. i think it's going to go beautifully.
Old 2010-11-10, 5:55pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead-meltdown View Post
got my huge order from devardi today. they shipped it in 3 days wow!!!!! got to admit i am scared to use after reading all these posts. i don't do a lot of clear encasing. but i do mix different brands. i have never had ,ever ,any incompatibility problem. i have had stress , clean cracks. usually when i try to make really huge bead. i will make some beads tomorrow and post soon, wish me luck.

one thing i do want to say:

i bought a pound of silver black. each silver black rod is marked w/ a tag. so i will not get it mixed w/ reg. black. i like this so much. yes the rods are miss shaped. i don't nor do i hope i will have a problem. i think it's going to go beautifully.

Have fun and we will help if we can. If you hit a snag be sure to post. There are many helpful people here!
Old 2010-11-11, 6:41am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I was playing with clear last night and I wanted to ask if any of you have used the core dyes or made focals with the clear? As you can see, I trapped plenty of air bubbles!

I haven't gotten into focals much, but the clear is so soft and nice to work with that it seems like it would be good for a lot of things. Maybe sculptural work... has anyone tried that with the clear?

Old 2010-11-11, 7:53am
StudioMarcy

Hi Kristina, I can't see well enough, but if your bubbles are close to your mandrel, you might preheat your bead release a little more. cooler release can cause bubbles sometimes. And I think the core dyes would be fun to play with. let us know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-11-11, 8:30am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Marcy. That may have been the main cause in the one on the right. I wrapped pretty quickly. I sure will post as I play. It's a major enjoyment in life for me! With 3 little ones at once I am homebound, so I really enjoy sharing with you all.
Old 2010-11-11, 10:03am
Help i am on fire

here are some pics of devardi marbled gray and cim pumpkin. will batch anneal today. oh and i also green bead is devardi op. baby green. i am having alot of shock problems w marbled gray and carmel. but am hell bent on over coming this, cause as usual, i bought to much glass.

went to post pics and image uploader told me this:The file you tried to upload is 133053 bytes (approx 130 kilobytes) which exceeds the 81920 byte (80 kilobyte) limit.
i have used 2 different cameras on smallest size for pics won't upload any pics.
to bad
Old 2010-11-11, 11:32am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
here are some pics of devardi marbled gray and cim pumpkin. will batch anneal today. oh and i also green bead is devardi op. baby green. i am having alot of shock problems w marbled gray and carmel. but am hell bent on over coming this, cause as usual, i bought to much glass.

went to post pics and image uploader told me this:The file you tried to upload is 133053 bytes (approx 130 kilobytes) which exceeds the 81920 byte (80 kilobyte) limit.
i have used 2 different cameras on smallest size for pics won't upload any pics.
to bad
You need to reduce the size of your pictures to 640 pixels (or less) on the largest side of the picture (wide or tall). Does your computer have a place for you to open and edit your pictures? You need to find the place that says RESIZE, and find the largest number and type in 640 and save it. I hope that helps. You can pm me or email if I can help you further.

While we wait to see your pics, I will post this one. It is a Cell Phone Dangle I just worked up. I was playing with my new stringers from this last shipment last night and made up these little Beenie Babies with the Intense Black...

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-11-13 at 7:35am.
Old 2010-11-11, 11:32am
Help i am on fire

ok i will try.
Old 2010-11-11, 11:34am
Hot Glass Neophyte

LOL - we were typing at the same time! Read and see if you need to pm me!
Old 2010-11-11, 11:35am

I upload my pics to photobucket and resize them there. Then I just have to post a img link for them to show up. Much easier I think.
Old 2010-11-11, 11:47am
Help i am on fire

edited from 640 to still no pic.320x 240
Old 2010-11-11, 11:48am
Help i am on fire

still telling me what i said above. i think it's the image uploader w/ my mac. have never had problems before.
Old 2010-11-11, 12:03pm
Help i am on fire

Img_8724.jpg
Old 2010-11-11, 12:10pm
Help i am on fire

for the tech challenged, lord help me. ok, LE let me load it in my pic info, so go to bead-meltdown.
Old 2010-11-11, 12:12pm
Help i am on fire

one more thing i was dropped several times as a baby and rolled over by several cars, if you were wondering.
Old 2010-11-11, 2:56pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

LOL, you are a Cutie. If you have a Mac, what is the program you are using to edit your pictures?
Old 2010-11-11, 5:50pm
Help i am on fire

iphoto ????? i think i know nothing. i have a teenager to help me. but lately she is always gone.
Old 2010-11-11, 6:48pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Well, you should have the option of a Tutorial, or a Search feature to tell you how to do a procedure... you want to resize. Can you find that?
Old 2010-11-11, 9:28pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I ordered me a bunch of this beautiful glass. I also got a rod warmer. I actually ordered the rod warmer first, so it's already here. Now I'm watching for the mail man to deliver my glass

Vivian

-

Old 2010-11-12, 7:04am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
iphoto ????? i think i know nothing. i have a teenager to help me. but lately she is always gone.
Did you find the Helps section or the Tutorial? I use Adobe Photoshop on my Mac so I can't help you with iphoto.

But you can do a Search on Google, such as "iphoto mac resize". When I did I got many options. Here's just one link that may give you the steps you need. I hope it helps. If it doesn't, you can do the search and read the different links to see if you find one that helps. Double click on this link and it should open for you:

http://www.machackshack.com/2006/10/...ze-photos.html
Old 2010-11-12, 7:12am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi and Baking Soda

Last night I played with Baking Soda. It's pretty unstable! But it gives some nice effects if you barely powder your hot bead before thickly encasing. The blue one was rolled in the Baking Soda and it was an explosion of bubbles that merged into some major ones.

I have some brass frit on order that I want to play with. I'm hoping I can control the placement of bubbles better with it. Have any of you played with making bubbles?

Old 2010-11-12, 7:27am

I like playing with the baking soda. Never have made a decent bead with it-but it is fun watching the bubbles develop. I made my own brass frit a few weeks ago. I have not played with it yet. I kept forgetting about it!
Old 2010-11-12, 7:30am
Hot Glass Neophyte

There's a neat Thread going on right now about using Brass Frit. Here's the link:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=179122

She made some gorgeous beads with it! I want to try it with our glass when it arrives.
Old 2010-11-12, 8:41am

I saw that. The beads are gorgeous! I was drilling out the primers on bullet casings to make some pendants and I dumped out the shell to find that is was all brass! So I have been accumulating the bits of brass to use.
Old 2010-11-12, 9:06am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Awesome! Be sure to post what you do with them. I have a new ribbed bead roller on order and I want to try them with the bubbles too... maybe asking for trouble but it should be fun!

Have you seen the variety? Here is a link:
http://www.cgbeads.com/beads.html
Old 2010-11-12, 4:29pm
Help i am on fire

Default finally pics

Old 2010-11-12, 4:38pm
Help i am on fire

this is divardi glass pics above.
1st. pic. is orange opaque

2nd.pic. is lite opaque green w tran morretti brown

3rd pic. notice light green bead looked transparent before kiln annealed. 4rth picture shows depth that occurred after kiln. love this color

4th.pic first bead is carmel and pumpkin (morretti)
second bead is marbled gray w/ bluefritt and morretti brown same on 4th. bead.

i am not going to lie this is rough glass. colors are pretty very pretty. shocking is a lot of the problem. i have figured out how to stop about 75% of shock problem if you want to know.

i had no problem w/ crack. i even did a horrible huge bead wrapped in clear w/ no problems. i will try to post that, but if you laugh i am going to cry. it's been a hell of a day and i am going to have me a drink or 2 or 3.
Old 2010-11-13, 4:48am

bead-meltdown, if you pre heat your rods in a rod warmer or in the kiln you will find you will stop about 95% of the shocking and then this glass will be a true joy to work with. I work almost exclusively with the Devardi glass in 104 (not that I don't like the others but the color saturation that Devardi has is hard to beat).

I have used brass frit frequently its one of my favorite things. Here is a picture of one of my beads with brass frit.

Old 2010-11-13, 5:34am
Just Getting Started

One thing to note: the stringers, while a little more expensive per lb, are far less shocky. I hope they keep making more and more of these, because I am willing to pay a little more per lb to not have to always preheat and plan ahead. The stringers allow for more spontaneity.
Old 2010-11-13, 6:32am
Help i am on fire

well i just bout a new minor and a oxy/con so spending more money on a rod warmer is out of question. i also batch anneal because the cost to run the kiln everyday is $$$$$$$. i love the colors of devardi very pretty.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi