TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-10-28, 8:03pm

Default Enamel Stringers

There has been some interest in pulling enameled stringers and so I thought I would try my hand at giving my first tutorial in LE. I hope this all helps those who wanted to do this. smiles Kerry

Supplies, 1 rod ivory, needle nose pliers, and some enamels

Heat the end of the ivory rod till you get a pea size ball at the end.

Roll the end of the rod into the enamels, and heat. The more you repeat this step the darker the stringer.

Heat it in well but do not over heat as it will bubble away and this is called boiling the enamels. Which has it's place in some designs for sure.

Once heated thouroughly, take out of the flame let cool a bit then grab with the pliers and start to pull.

The slower you pull the thicker the stringer. the faster you pull the thinner the stringer.

Pull out to desired length and let cool.

Take your pliers and break off close to the rod. Repeat these steps using different colors till you have a variety of colors to work with.
Have fun. and always remember to wear appropriate safety gear when working with enamels. Kerry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Etsy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'A creative mess is better than a tidy idleness'

SRA #C-126
Old 2007-10-28, 8:10pm
mystical cat lover 56

Thank you !
Old 2007-10-28, 8:14pm

You are welcome. smiles Kerry

My Etsy:

SRA #C-126
Old 2007-10-28, 8:21pm

this is great !!! Thanks

R-118
Old 2007-10-28, 8:24pm
OOOH Lottie La!!! LOL!!!

Thank you so much for sharing Kerry! Your beads are simply gorgeous!

Old 2007-10-28, 10:27pm
Glass-aholic

easy piezy!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-10-28, 10:30pm
Ezzy

Nice first tutorial.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-10-29, 12:29am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Thanks for this tutorial! Now I just need some enamels and an N100 mask!

Kelly

Old 2007-10-29, 4:55am

Great tutorial! Thank you very much!
ginger
Old 2007-10-29, 5:26am

I went to bed thinking about this , do you only use ivory or will any light colored rod work also.

R-118
Old 2007-10-29, 6:01am

Great tutorial!! Thanks. Wish I could see a pic of the gorgeous bracelet you are wearing.

Jeanette

Like my Facebook Page, Please
Old 2007-10-29, 7:18am
Ellyloo-YAH!

Experiment with different colours! Try opaque and transparent too. A little enamel goes a long way, so don't be scared!

Old 2007-10-29, 7:37am

Thank you everyone,
Cathie I tend to only use Vet. ivory because it bleeds the way I want it to when doing my Van Gogh beads. If you want a more stable color then use moretti white. This is what I use sometimes for my water color beads, but mostly for those I use white moretti rods rolled in either Reichenbach or Kugler glass.
Jeanette, geeish I can't even tell what bracelet that is. I love braceletes and make many and wear even more lol.. Maybe it is on my web site? smiles Kerry

My Etsy:

SRA #C-126
Old 2007-10-29, 8:45am
Anyone need some spacers?

Thanks for the tut, I have wanted to try this for some time. Are thoes paint can lids you are using to hole your powders?

Old 2007-10-29, 11:46am

Hi-
What is the different effect you get from using an enameled stringer versus a stringer of that color? I mean, the difference between a green stringer, and an ivory rolled in green enamel?

thanks-
Ana
Old 2007-10-29, 11:58am
Ellyloo-YAH!

Okay, i'm going to post again....but there are lots of others who do enameled stringer stuff here's one way an enameled stringer can go-see how the colour isn't solid as when you just use a stringer with just that colour? I didn't do anything extra to the dots except to poke the centre of the flower so the petals point inward. I love the 'shading' that happens.

Last edited by ellyloo; 2007-10-29 at 12:00pm.
Old 2007-10-29, 12:41pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

pfft! It's always the easy stuff that I can never think of.

Thank you so much! This was awesome of you to do.
Old 2007-10-29, 5:23pm
just plain silly

Thanks for this tutorial Kerry! Your Van Gogh beads are very cool.

Elly, nice bead - now I can see the possibilites. Did you use white as the base before adding the enamel?

Suzanne
Old 2007-10-29, 7:03pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I did! I have experimented with dark colours and light enamel though... it's interesting too.

Old 2007-10-29, 8:16pm
koregon

wow, I have never done this..I have a question...why ivory?? doesn't it react with the colors or the color you use the stringer on??

and do you have some examples of your work ?? I would love to see.

I have to try this...I need something to set a fire under me and make something new...I have been in a slump

Old 2007-10-29, 8:47pm
Metallic Flame Studios

hummmmm any pics of ivory w/turq enamel over it? I wonder if it would react like Kaye suggests and if it would be different than the usual ivory/turq black line thing....

geeeez only other lampworkers would truely understand that statement, huh?

LOL, guess that's why we love each other, huh? the synergy of our creativity! (hugs Kaye, btw... got your comment on my blog, just hadn't had time to respond yet!!)

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2007-10-29, 9:07pm

Hey there Tracy, nope those are frozen juice lids, Thanks to my friend Ania Kyte for that great idea. You can see her work often in The Stringing mag.
I do not think the colors change, but you be the judge, here are a few more beads with writing on them with turquoise stringer that I pull, shoot I don't think I ever have bought a stringer other than clear..and a few other beads to give you a good show of what happens.
Ana, a stringer of solid color will be just that 'solid' it is the watery affect that I needed to achieve..VanGogh always left some of his canvas showing and so I needed some whiteish color to show through the stringer and other colors..
anyways here are more beads. Smiles Kerry

My Etsy:

SRA #C-126
Old 2007-10-29, 9:19pm

So nice of you to do this! Looks like fun.

~
~
Old 2007-10-30, 1:25pm

Ooooh, ok, now I get it. Very cool. Thanks Elly & Kerry!

Ana
Old 2007-10-30, 4:08pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

it's Kerry's tute.

I love her van gogh's.

Old 2007-10-30, 5:12pm
Colors outside the lines

Nice tutorial---thanks! I love the Van Gogh's and Ellyloo, your bead is really pretty also.

Leah
Old 2007-11-07, 5:47am

Nice tutorial Kerry! Thanks for sharing it.

Sals
Old 2007-11-09, 8:45am

Thank you everyone. I hope it helps out for those of you that want to work with enamels. If you have any questions please pm me,, smiles Kerry

My Etsy:

SRA #C-126
Old 2007-11-09, 1:56pm

Default Chicken!

I have had my enamels for a number of years. Have the safety mask to wear and know to be careful of letting any enamel float in the air, but am still too leery of enamels. I have read so articles on the danger if not being very careful in using them. Love the look. Maybe will get brave some day. Peg M
Old 2007-11-10, 5:06pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
why ivory?? doesn't it react with the colors or the color you use the stringer on??
I've tested all of the enamel frits (yes, they're available in frit form now, as well as the powder) and you don't get the color reactions with ivory or any of he copper containing colors like turquoise. The best way to think of the colors when you're using the enamels is that the colors are not chemical based like we usually think off, but if you think pigment based, you'll be pretty close. Mix yellow and blue frits and you actually get green.

Hugs,
The other Kay (but without an e)

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)