No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-09, 1:19pm
Total Noob

Default Starter Glass

So I'm just starting out in glass- I just bought a torch and all the tools I need from a very kind member of this forum, so now I just need to get an oxygen tank and a regulator and.... some glass.

Now I'm on a bit of a budget (isn't everybody!) and I'm just starting out, so I don't want to buy a huge quantity of really nice expensive glass that I'm going to turn into mountains and mountains of fugly beads as I get my feet underneath me, but I also don't want to paint myself into a corner of buying a bunch of glass that I can't use later. I figure I've got about $50 or so to spend.

I saw a list of starter glass elsewhere on this forum, but it's really too much glass for me- I'm just looking for a first batch to start melting up and making mistakes with. Right now Frantz Glass has a sale on Messy Color assortments- I was thinking about picking up a few of those, some Moretti clear (or super clear), black, and white.

Alternately the Devardi glass looks interesting and I've seen some sample packs that would fit into my budget.

Any suggestions? Anything I'm not thinking about that I'll want as soon as I sit down to the torch?
Old 2010-11-09, 1:28pm
I fart diamonds

Don't buy a starter pack. Create your own. Get some clear, black, white, red, blue, ivory, brown or whatever colors you like. Starting out, I suggest never more than 1/4lb of any color other than 1lb each clear, black & white. You'll likely use more of those than anything.

Devardi is a great beginner glass and the price is right. They also have some gorgeous colors. Working with it, you'll learn patience, for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-09, 2:44pm

And ivory. I think I still have my first 1/2 lb of transp. red and transp. orange moretti! I think a starter pack of single rods is a good idea with a lb of white, lb of clear, lb of black, 1/4 lb of ivory. I wouldn't worry about getting superclear or more than a rod of anything expensive.

I suggest one rod each of the following:
dense black
silver plum
metallic black
psyche or triton

These will add to the 'fun' aspect immensely. Pull them into stringer for use.
Practice stringer pulling on your base colors first (white, black, clear, ivory).

If you can afford it, buy a little frit. Just a couple of samplers for play.

I see De has 3.5lbs of shorts for $12...that's another option.

Cheers
Kym

Last edited by Kym; 2010-11-09 at 2:49pm.
Old 2010-11-09, 3:44pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

PM me an address and I'll send you a frit selection. I don't do soft glass much anymore and I have lots of frit from those days past.

It'll cost you though... a couple of you beads after you get comfortable on the torch.
PJH
Old 2010-11-09, 4:08pm
Glass-aholic

divardi glass is shocky, and sometimes temperamental, but for $5.99lb its a great starter glass. Alot of it is great stuff. some if it is a bit of a pain, but hey, i guess that you can say that for any company! lol EDP............ all those expensive silver glasses that 'might do what you want' the odd lots that are maybe compatible.. maybe gonna get u hooked, and you can never find it again.. oh and CLEAR! lol so i think its a good choice for a beginner.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-11-09, 4:40pm
geekitude on two wheels

If you're shopping frantz, http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=3435 this little kahuna package with some extra black, clear, white and a bit extra ivory would be about 50$. If you can spare a little more than 50$, the transparent asst, pastel asst and special asst would work as a bigger starter pack. I think starter packs are a great way to start, it's the only way to get variety with out getting a ton of glass, and often colors you don't think you'll like or that don't grab you right away turn out to be good colors. Kym's suggestions are great, too.
Old 2010-11-09, 6:22pm

Devardi glass is a great glass for the price but please read the thread on it so you know what to expect. I use Devardi A LOT and love it but learning a bit about how to work this particular glass will shorten your learning curve a lot. They have a lot of helpful videos and tips on their website also. Just keep in mind that Devardi really likes to be preheated or introduced very slowly to the flame, or some of it tends to turn to frit. Since I started pre heating it, I have very few problems though. And they have some seriously lovely colors to play with at a great price.

Old 2010-11-09, 10:33pm
dances with ideas...

Hey Zenmoto--welcome! Where in PO are you? I live south of town, in the Burley area.
And it just so happens that I've been sorting through my glass stash recently and putting together various packages to give away. I think one of the COE104 packages has your name on it!

It's about 5 pounds of shorts and some not-so-shorts, sort of random colors, but I tried to round out the palette with some colors that I have a lot of. And I added black and white and ivory and clear. I think this might be a good place to start. Most of it is unlabeled, but you could get some ideas of what you like, and if you found something you adore, there's a good chance we could identify it. Just send me a PM if you're interested. This would be a win-win, as I'm trying to clear out a little room.

Old 2010-11-10, 12:01am
Total Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
PM me an address and I'll send you a frit selection. I don't do soft glass much anymore and I have lots of frit from those days past.

It'll cost you though... a couple of you beads after you get comfortable on the torch.
PJH
Wow! That is a really generous offer! Thank you!
Old 2010-11-10, 12:09am
Total Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
Hey Zenmoto--welcome! Where in PO are you? I live south of town, in the Burley area.
And it just so happens that I've been sorting through my glass stash recently and putting together various packages to give away. I think one of the COE104 packages has your name on it!

It's about 5 pounds of shorts and some not-so-shorts, sort of random colors, but I tried to round out the palette with some colors that I have a lot of. And I added black and white and ivory and clear. I think this might be a good place to start. Most of it is unlabeled, but you could get some ideas of what you like, and if you found something you adore, there's a good chance we could identify it. Just send me a PM if you're interested. This would be a win-win, as I'm trying to clear out a little room.
Oh my gosh! That would be perfect!

I'm over by the Southworth ferry- what a small world!
Old 2010-11-10, 12:41am
dances with ideas...

Just gotta love the small world syndrome--we are within 13 miles on the road, shorter as the crow flies.

Old 2010-11-10, 1:36am
Cat Winx

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
Just gotta love the small world syndrome--we are within 13 miles on the road, shorter as the crow flies.
I love you guys (and PJ too ;} ..this is the only forum I've ever joined where I've felt comfortable.. yea (dare I say it?) even a sense of belonging.
I especially love how good everyone is to each other (for the most part)

And I particularly adore being in the middle of the PNW contingent.. you'uns RULE!

~Rachel