Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-20, 9:43pm

Unhappy Tell me about your electric mandrel spinner

I have developed some pretty severe arthritis at the base of my right thumb - the hand I use to turn my mandrels with. I've already had it injected with steroids once which helped for about a month, but now the pain is back worse than ever. I've seen the x-ray and it looks like crap - the end of the bone at the base of my thumb really looks "ratty" so it's not going to go away. Those of you who have an EMS, could this help me out? If so, which model would be the best for me if I want to do pandora beads as well as regular beads. I'm an ER nurse and really depend on my hands to make my living - if I can't find a solution to this I may have to give up the glass which I really DON'T want to do, it's my sanity. Please tell my how your EMS has worked for you and if it has helped with issues of hand pain/arthritis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-20, 11:51pm
Unmedicated since '62

i like it for spacers - i find that i'm too inconsistant with the way i wind glass on to use it for anything else, but in saying that i havent played with it much, i should practice more, it just felt really big in my hand

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-01-21, 12:22am

I bought mine for just that reason. Hand arthritis is why I bought mine and after a week of dedicated use, it feels quite natural to use. I bought the petite which is quite small and now interested in a deluxe model with a bit more grunt.
Old 2011-01-21, 12:28am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If you intend to do pandora style beads you will need the largest one that Scott makes. The torque requirements of larger dia. beads may stall the small EMS.
PJH
Old 2011-01-21, 3:34am
what's a senior moment ?

Carol -
With the problem being at the base of your thumb, it's possible you'll get some relief using the EMS. That said you still have to use your thumb to put pressure on the chuck to help control the speed depending on what you're working on each time you use it. I'm thinking you'll get more benefit from using it than not.
I've had hand, wrist and arm problems for MANY years - long before I ever started making beads and I could never have made beads had it not been for the EMS. I actually own one of the first 10 ever made.

Old 2011-01-21, 4:10am
Gonna get blow'd up!

I just want to say: Nurses rock!

that is all

(well, also I hope your hand gets better )

Old 2011-01-21, 4:19am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Carol, I'm going through the same thing because of my broken arm. I have owned one for years but don't use it. I dug it out & decided to try it. I've made beads a couple of times with the broken arm & still haven't used it. I'm not sure why I hesitate to use it.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-01-21, 6:00am
Angie09

Absolute best product ever!!! I own the deluxe and just bought a second one (the mid-size) as a back up! I use it for small spacers, big focals (you can use 9" mandrels and when you get the final shape you want, take the mandrel out of the EMS to decorate) and big hole beads. I even put a 10mm rod of boro right in the last sleeve to melt when mixing colors! I use Aura Lens (http://www.auralens.net/) 4.5" mandrels (you get a great deal on hardy mandrels when they are cut in half here!!) Again, best product ever IMHO.
Old 2011-01-21, 8:23am

Have you tried switching hands and using your left hand to turn the mandrel? At first it may seem a bit awkward, but worth trying.
Old 2011-01-21, 9:55am

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I'm left handed and while I could turn the mandrel with my left hand, I can't even control the glass well enough with my right hand to wind it on, much less do any stringer work - believe me I have tried.

Old 2011-01-21, 10:59am

I had the same problem with the base of my "spinning" thumb. It took weeks for it to stop hurting. The EMS works great for me, and I do pandora beads with it, too. It takes a bit of adjustment, but then you'll wonder how you ever did without it.
Old 2011-01-21, 3:01pm
too many rods in the fire

OMG - I LOVE mine!!! I have severe neck issues that affect my arms and hands. The EMS is a life saver for me. Couldn't work without it.

And, as someone else mentioned, it is super helpful for size consistency and for laying down a great footprint on your beads. I can make 8 spacers on one mandrel using my EMS - I could probably only manage 4 at best without it.

I use mine on everything - and my average bead size is pretty honkin' big! (1.5" or bigger).

PS - I am a lefty also.

Old 2011-01-21, 5:19pm

I feel like I have been waiting forever to get enough money together to buy a mid sized deluxe. The petite is good, but a deluxe sized up would handle pretty much anything I could throw at it.
Kym
Old 2011-01-21, 8:01pm

I can't help you with the size because I don't make pandora beads, but I know I wouldn't be lampworking without my EMS! I actually have 2. The original and the upgraded box. I keep the old one for a back up in case I have to send one in for service. Scott gives amazing customer service. I use mine for every bead. They are amazing for bedrollers and I can do really long beads. If I want to do a lot of decorating, I use it for my base bead and then take it out to do the decorating. Scott also has some amazing tutorials on his site that show you the many uses of the EMS. I have arthritis in my wrists and thumbs and I am pain free now because of this wonderful tool.

Old 2011-01-21, 9:47pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I've been reading this & am going to make myself start using mine!!!!

Vivian

-

Old 2011-01-24, 9:03pm

Thanks for the input everyone! Hopefully when tax time rolls around I'll be able to order one for me. Glass is my sanity and since I'm the only income-earner in our house right now I really need to be able to keep working with my glass in my "free" time.

Old 2011-01-24, 9:47pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

I have the big one because I thought I would like to do BHBs. As it turns out, I couldn't care less! However, no matter what type bead I'm making, I use my EMS. Not only does it help my hands, but my beads are way more balanced with the continuous spinning it provides. Unlike a lot of people here, I rarely remove my bead until it is ready for the kiln. The only exception I can think of is when I occasionally try sculpting, then I really reluctantly do it by hand.

I think the big one is the only one that will do 1/4" mandrels.

Btw, I was concerned about the large size of the handpiece, however I find it very comfy.

[/b][/i][/font]

Last edited by asimeral; 2011-01-25 at 11:54pm.
Old 2011-01-25, 9:57am
Redbearmountain

Hello, I can't say enough about Scott and his wonderful EMS I have had one since 2006 and I just bought the mid-size and will by the largest one he makes. So I will have all three. I don't have trouble with my hands or wrist but I don't want any trouble either. I make alot of beads in a year as I do this fulltime so I can't imagine not having one. Your beads are so much more consistant and your production is 3 to 4 times what it would be turning by hand. Scott is wonderful to talk to about his tools. You can personaly call him, email him, or chat with him on facebook. I personally own most of his tools and they are awesome and work great with his mandrel spinners because they were designed to go with his EMS. Can't promote Scott and his tools enough. Well worth the money!

Old 2013-01-26, 11:14am
New Lampworker

Where did you get it? I've heard of them, but haven't seen them advertised. Thanks.
Shirl
Old 2013-01-26, 11:28am
what's a senior moment ?

Here's the link Shirl http://www.bearfootart.com/catalog.php?category=51

Old 2013-01-28, 4:01pm
Artistically Absorbed

I just tried one of these recently. I think they aren't for everybody. I had a hard time not getting it lopsided making a base bead with this tool. However I am the fast and furious type on base wraps. I also had a hard time feeding the bead, because it would suck up all the hot and drag the rod. On the plus side...This tools rocks for dot beads and flowers, because the cylindrical force causes a wondefully even spread, easy peasy. That's just my 2 cents.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-01-28, 4:29pm
T.J. made me do it

I've been using one since the beginning and love it. I can put 4 discs or 8 spacers on a mandrel in less than 15 minutes. But... it does take a fair amount of learning. You need to learn how to keep the glass in the flame more than anything.

Old 2013-01-29, 2:03am
Mom to 20 paws

I own 4 , 2 from when they first came out and 2 deluxe. I love them!!!!!

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2013-01-29, 11:36pm

I have 2. One of the first ones that I keep for back up and one of the 2nd ones that has forward, reverse and speed control. I got mine 6 months after I started. I could make a structurally good round bead before I got it. The ELS has saved my wrists, done wonders for my shaping and made my base beads much quicker so I can get to the fun parts, decorating!

Old 2013-01-30, 6:58am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have one and like it.. it does have a learning curve.

I use mine mostly for spacers, and to lay down a large base bead before I start to decorate. saves a lot of wear and tear on your hands and its FAST to shape a base bead. I then remove it from the spinner and do the detail work hand held

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-01-30, 8:06am
Glass-scaper

I use one since I developed the same arthritic issue at the base of my thumb.Plus I wear a brace when I make beads. Those 2 things have saved me.
I make the base bead with the EMS and remove it to decorate. Easy Peasy.
Old 2013-02-04, 10:10am
New Lampworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Wow, what beautiful tools they have! Thanks, Debbie. I appreciate the link.
Shirl
Old 2013-02-05, 11:56am
Mary Lockwood

I have a bit of arthritis in my hands as well. This wasn't a huge problem for me until I started making really big, heavy focals on a regular basis. Now by the time I have a dragon made my hand is shredded. Especially my left hand...ugh.

So, I've been curious about this spinner dealio. But I'm afraid of adding anymore weight! Maybe the weight will be worth not having to spin, but the idea of making these things any heavier is what is holding me back from giving it a try.

I can't use the spinner for the sculptural part, but I could sure use it building the big base beads and for bathing the finished piece with heat. Just the major spinning parts.

Any input on the weight? Thank you!

edited to add: the more I think of it, the weight of the spinner itself must work as a sort of counter balance to the weight of the glass at the end of the mandrel and maybe make it feel more balanced, and easier to hold onto.

Last edited by Moth; 2013-02-05 at 12:22pm.
Old 2013-02-06, 7:38pm

There is weight. And if you're doing larger beads, the smaller ems may not have enough power to spin it. Do you ever get down in the Cincinnati/Fairfield area? You could try mine to see if it helps. It has been invaluable for me.
Old 2013-02-07, 4:16am
what's a senior moment ?

Mary -

I have major issues with my hands. Especially my left hand. Two surgeries and arthritis only to name two problems. I've used my EMS since they first came out, back when Scott listed the very first 10 he made on Ebay. Anyway, I never could of even THOUGHT about making beads without it. The weight of the tool has NEVER been an issue with me. And yes, the weight of the bead you're making does counter balance the tool IF you're making a large bead but even with making spacer beads the weight has never been an issue FOR ME. The bulk of the weight is near the place between your thumb and first finger therefore more supported which allows you to hold the spinner for longer periods of time. At least that's what I think it could be.

I think you should call Scott and talk directly to him. Believe me, Scott is THE BEST when it comes to helping you in any way possible. Monica too but Scott is the tool guy.

Last edited by dla; 2013-02-07 at 4:19am.