No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-06, 4:17am
Gonna get blow'd up!

Default Hawaiian Clay OH GOD NO!!!

Soft glass help! I am using CiM Hawaiian Clay in a bead one of my customers orders in bulk once a month. I am using the same colors and clear and everything. I have done this before and the color remained a rust color. Now it turns honey yellow. The only thing that has changed is the kiln. Is it striking in the kiln and turning the poo color? Can I put the butt load of screw-ups I already have back in the kiln and re-strike the beads back to the intended color? If so, how?

Please please please help!

Thank you in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-06, 4:42am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Cim Hawaiian clay? Never heard of that color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-05-06, 4:43am
traumaqueen

It's one of the Moretti Effetre cool colors, maybe you picked up the wrong glass? Do you have any red roof tile ? You could try that.

Old 2011-05-06, 4:52am
Gonna get blow'd up!

I spoke wrong, it is Effetre.

It wasn't the wrong rod: I made a test bead first and never put it in the kiln. It never turned yellow. There's something happening in the kiln....

Old 2011-05-06, 4:58am
traumaqueen

Weird. Have you tried making a testbead and striking it in the flame?

Old 2011-05-06, 5:05am
Gonna get blow'd up!

Yeah, and everything is peachy as long as I don't use the kiln. The old kiln was a poorly controlled ceramics kiln from the early 90's. I didn't have the nifty ultra-controlled ramp-down I have now. I would heat it to 960-ish...wait an hour or two, shut it off, turn it back on around 800....wait and hour or two....shut it off....back on at 700....wait....etc....

Now that it's all auto the rust is turning yellow. If I were to try to kiln-strike it back to rust, would I heat it higher or lower than 960? I've found lots of DH kiln strike schedules, and lots of boro...but no normal 104 schedules

Old 2011-05-06, 5:22am
traumaqueen

Try running them a bit higher ( and don't take all of them , just one) and see what happends. Striking temperatures are different for each glass type but I would try a bit higher with just the one bead.

Old 2011-05-06, 5:31am
Gonna get blow'd up!

Thank you....time to go make a new sched

Old 2011-05-06, 6:38am
traumaqueen

only try one at first! Before burning the whole batch. If it doesn't work out you could ( I know, this is gonna hurt) remake the whole batch using red roof tile.