Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-03-04, 3:43pm

Default Electorforming Help

I just started electroforming. I have a Tekpower HY1803D power supply, copper paint from Safer Solutions, and the solution from Rio. I have read lots of stuff on the internet on how to electroform and also purchased a tutorial. Here are a few questions I have:

1. What do you use for anodes? (I've been using copper sheeting)
2. I love the real grainy look of electroforming but mine seems to come out rather smooth and very thin. Do I need to up my settings (I set my amperage at .25)? Use a thicker anode? Paint a heavier layer?

Any help would be appreciated. Here is a picture of something I have already done:

Old 2014-03-04, 6:09pm
honorary bead lady

Funny because what you have is what most people strive for

Copper sheeting is good, so is large gauge copper wire. Try uping your current
Old 2014-03-04, 10:25pm

get a piece of cloth and wet it down with ammonia, then wrap your piece that has been electroformed with the cloth - then stick in a ziplock for a few hours & it will patina the copper to a greenish color

Last edited by todda; 2014-03-04 at 10:27pm.
Old 2014-03-05, 6:45am
Wyoming Silvers

Glue some tiny no hole beads onto the glass, seal with your paint then electroform,,, for a cool pebbly look,,, I will slide them around so they are placed strategically...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2014-03-06, 5:07am

copper pipe for plumbing makes fantastic cheapish anodes. Ralph McCaskey here in the Bay Area does tons of plating and that is what he uses and recommends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2014-03-11, 12:09am

Dont qoute me here but Im sure ive read to get a grainy look you need more current. When you first start use your .25amps to get a thin layer and then upp the current. Youll have to try different amounts to see what works. Again this is what Ive read while researching the topic. Easy enough to test.
Old 2014-03-20, 7:43am

Thanks for all your help. I changed two things: (1) thicker copper anode and (2) upped the voltage. I like this one a LOT -

Old 2014-03-20, 8:32am
Karen James

Oh, that came out great! Upping the voltage does help. I forgot what they called them, but I got these copper sheets from Home Depot that were about 4" x 6". I bought about 10 of them at the time because they were only $3.00 each. I still have at least 8 of them.
I had to go to the front of the store to get them. When DH gets home later I will ask him if he recalls what they called them.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2014-03-21, 2:48am

Very nice results. Did you have to polish to get the nice shine or is that how it came out of the solution?
Old 2014-03-21, 6:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAlias View Post
Very nice results. Did you have to polish to get the nice shine or is that how it came out of the solution?
It comes out a salmon color with a matte finish - I just use a brass brush to shine it up. I haven't started using any patinas yet but copper ages nicely.
Old 2014-03-21, 7:05am
Karen James

Okay, checked with the hubby and all he remembers was that they were copper sheets. They are 5" x 7". I know they called them something more specific. I wish I could remember. Damn it!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2014-03-21, 9:56am

Im just about ready to start doing some plating. I just cant seem to pick a power supply. Alot of them have such horrible reviews.
Old 2014-03-22, 5:58pm

I purchased the Tekpower HY1803D Variable DC Power Supply from Amazon for $70. It was recommended by Kate Fowle in an article found in the March 2013 Soda Lime Times.
Old 2014-03-27, 10:36am

What do I do if I am trying to do a larger piece have it turned ALL the way up and am still getting pinky salmon coloring

Old 2014-03-27, 12:04pm

You need to turn up your voltage but I found some great tutorials online -

http://pigeonpointglass.com/electro-tut.html
http://dalmar.net/electroforming.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otTQ8WLifK4

These helped me.
Old 2014-03-29, 6:38am

think i mighta found part of my issue...power source started smoking last night 0o.