Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-01, 8:55pm

Default Gaffer Clear is amazing!

I got a sample kit from Gaffer yesterday. I made one extremely ugly bead. But the Clear was sparkling and BUBBLE FREE! I couldn't find a bubble in the ugly bead except for the ones I created at the center of the flowers. Inspecting their clear rods, I could see no bubbles.

I am a Bullseye kind of girl and their clear has become a bubble fest. My beads are filled with bubbles and I spend a lot of time skimming bubble from the sides of the rods and digging them from the centers. It has become impossible to deal with them. About half of each stringer ends up in my little dish where I throw such stuff.

I have such an investment into Bullseye, but I think I am ready to switch. I know Gaffer's has been around forever, but I think theri Lampworking products are fairly new. Does anyone have experience with Gaffer? What do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-01, 9:10pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I love the colored gaffer glass. I have a small assortment of it and
it's very cool. I like that I can mix it up with my Uroboros
glass and just slather the heck out of any 96 frit I want
and not have any cracking.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-03-01, 9:56pm
Just Plain

I love Gaffer, and Caliente too! 4 out of 5 of my auctions this week have one of those 2 glasses in them.

Last edited by Jayne; 2007-03-01 at 9:59pm.
Old 2007-03-01, 10:01pm

[quote=bousky;1038969]I am a Bullseye kind of girl and their clear has become a bubble fest. QUOTE]

I haven't tried the Gaffer clear I don't think. For a sub for the Bullseye clear, have you tried the Schott compatiable clear? I don't like BE clear but have always liked the schott. I like the thicker 10mm rods as they are near perfect. The thinner ones(5mm I think?) I like fine for casing but don't like pulling stringers out of it as it does get bubbly. Bubbly = me working hot and impatient.....slow down no bubbles, the 10mm I can do whatever I want to it and it doesn't bubble.

My experience might be a little out of date....I think it has been 6-8 months since I bought my last batch of Schott but have used it for 4-6 years I would guess.

michey
Old 2007-03-02, 7:22am

I'm biased- I love most 96 glass- but the gaffer is gorgeous- I use it for lampworking and furnace work and it performs beautifully!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-03-02, 7:23am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I use Schott clear for my BE also. It is bubble free and wonderful!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-02, 8:16am

I use to use Schott. Bullseye no longer sells it and it is a bit stiffer than the bullseye clear. There seemed to be a growing compatability issue. I started to have a lot of cracking.

Where are you getting your Schott these days?

Old 2007-03-02, 9:49am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Gaffer is just wonderful & you have so many other 96COE glass that you can add to the mix. I'm thinking of selling most of my 104COE glass because I find myself using the 96 most of the time now.

Vivian

-

Old 2007-03-02, 10:24am

I also am thinking of shedding my 104. I hardly ever use it. I could keep my bullseye and have room for the 96!

I did just inspect three Schott Rods and compared to Bullseye, whose viscosity I prefer, they are pretty much bubble free. Next session I am going to use the Schott, and try pulling my own string. I wonder if it is the mix of Bullseye stringer and the Schott which causes the cracking?

Old 2007-03-02, 10:29am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

what kind of cracking are you getting?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-02, 10:45am
bailey, my golden girl

I love love love gaffer clear,
it is my favorite!