Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-01-12, 3:55pm

Unhappy please help a newbie

I have recently "graduated" from a HH and Mapp to a mini cc & ng. Today was a bad torch day...ever time I tried to wind on the glass I would get holes in the glass. What was I doing wrong..thanks in advance for the help.
Kris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mini cc, ng, & 2 concentrators
Old 2006-01-12, 4:02pm
Goddess

Do you mean bubbles? If so then move the rod and bead farther out in the flame, or turn your torch down a bit. If you get the glass too hot while wrapping it on, you can develope bubbles. Not sure if this is what you are talking about or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-01-12, 4:05pm
the Evil One

Kris
You are probably working to low in the flame. I switched to a bobcat a few months ago and the first time I scorched the bejesus out of the glass, air bubbles, scorched, a mess! The flame is much hotter then a HH and I tended to work in the same part of the flame. Not Good! Work higher in the flame and see how that goes. Once you get use to the heat you'll love it.
Good Luck!!
Sandra

Old 2006-01-12, 4:06pm

Thanks Teresa,
It certainly is possible that I am in the wrong part of the flame, I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust the ng & oxycon on my new torch...a real change from the HH

Old 2006-01-12, 4:07pm

Thanks Sandy...I sure hope I get the hang of this soon, seems like all I'm doing is wasting glass trying to teach myself...very frustrating

Old 2006-01-12, 9:10pm
Fancy Mammal

If you're doing this all yourself, you might want to invest in a book -- I've just started too, and used "More than you ever wanted to know about Beadmaking" by Jim Kervin and "Passing the Flame" by Corrina Tettinger to figure out how to set the flame on my torch. I found Corrina's book more specific as to what the flame should look like and where one should work, but it's an investment at $75.
Old 2006-01-12, 11:04pm
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadingBabe
Thanks Sandy...I sure hope I get the hang of this soon, seems like all I'm doing is wasting glass trying to teach myself...very frustrating
Hi!! Welcome! You need to learn your new torch...whenever I have changed torches, I go back to making spacers and pulling stringer. These two activities allow you to learn your new flame and where the good spots are in it. Once I can make the spacers consistently then I add stringer decorations to find the sweet spot for that.

It will come with time on the torch.

Right now you are getting your glass too hot...check your torch settings and find its neutral flame. Then try again...pull stringers for a bit so you know where you should be making the bead...then go to the spacers, etc.

Good luck!!

Old 2006-01-13, 7:27am
Macaw Mamma

Quote:
I have recently "graduated" from a HH and Mapp to a mini cc & ng. Today was a bad torch day...ever time I tried to wind on the glass I would get holes in the glass. What was I doing wrong..thanks in advance for the help.
Kris
I am new to lampworking.. I have a Bethlehem and I get holes too... not bubbles...but holes... I am really discouraged

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2006-01-13, 7:57am

Fay Katherine, I spoke with you at the bead show in Fort Wash. Pa this past Oct (not that I expect you to remember me). You were so helpful at that time. Thanks for the tips on how to learn my new torch. I have read Corrina's book and Cindy Jenkin's book over & over, hopefully someday it will all sink in.

Old 2006-01-13, 8:02am
ManBearPig

Bubbles from wrapping the glass on the mandrel can also be a sign that the bead release isn't completely dry.

Old 2006-01-13, 8:26am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Bubbles from wrapping the glass on the mandrel can also be a sign that the bead release isn't completely dry.

I want to point out what Chad just said because I had this problem when I first started. If you particularly notice the bubbles when you first start melting the glass, it is probably due to moisture in the bead release. Be sure to heat the mandrel well in the spot where you are going to start winding and then move your mandrel so that the torch is heating the area where you are about to wrap more glass if you are making a longer bead.

I also get "holes" occasionally. Sometimes it is just the nature of the glass [black seems to do this more often along with EDP]. Sometimes it follows having had the moisture bubbles from the mandrel. Sometimes it is because air got trapped in a ridge that was formed while wrapping another layer over the first layer on a long bead. And yes, sometimes it is from overheating in general. Are you seeing bubbles in the melted glass at the tip of the rod? If you didn't have all these troubles while you worked with the HH, it's probably just a matter of moving farther out in the flame. Don't give up, you'll get it and then you'll love your torch!
J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-01-13, 1:40pm

Interesting comment on the bead release. I was using Sludge Plus, but just did up some mandrels in Bucket of Mud.....they had dried overnight, but u never know.
The holes appeared when I was winding on white & black, when I switched back to mandrels with SP release I did not have the holes.

Old 2006-01-13, 1:51pm

Quote:
Interesting comment on the bead release. I was using Sludge Plus, but just did up some mandrels in Bucket of Mud.....they had dried overnight, but u never know.
The holes appeared when I was winding on white & black, when I switched back to mandrels with SP release I did not have the holes.
If the release had been dried overnight then it's possible the release wasn't hot enough before you started winding the glass on. I always bring my release up to bright orange glow before I wind glass on. If I don't do this then I get BIG bubbles particularly on white and ivory.

Old 2006-01-14, 9:09am
Macaw Mamma

My release was really old, on the mandrels for a month or two.... maybe that's the problem... just got new release KRAG Mudd... anybody tried it? Any tips?

Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2006-01-15, 7:11am
lov'in life!!!

HI Dianne. I LOVE Kragg and wouldn't use anything else. I have been a tester for them for about 7 mos. and in my honest opnion, I don't think there's a better release on the market. Now, to use boro, I have been mixing Alice's bead release with the Kragg and I have been getting pretty good results. I am new to boro, so I don't have a lot to go on but so far, so good. The Kragg by itself just isn't able to withstand the heat, it cracks.

Good luck.

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-01-19, 7:03pm
Macaw Mamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer
HI Dianne. I LOVE Kragg and wouldn't use anything else. I have been a tester for them for about 7 mos. and in my honest opnion, I don't think there's a better release on the market. Now, to use boro, I have been mixing Alice's bead release with the Kragg and I have been getting pretty good results. I am new to boro, so I don't have a lot to go on but so far, so good. The Kragg by itself just isn't able to withstand the heat, it cracks.

Good luck.
Thanks Krissa, I am glad to hear it.. since I bought 2 bottles I hope to try it this weekend... thanks for the Boro advice.. I have not found Alice's, any suggestions for where to buy? BTW... York is not too far from me...

Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2006-01-19, 9:38pm
bailey, my golden girl

make sure your bead release is dry and heated thru the mandrel before winding on the hot glass.... get that ole mandrel glowin' orange and see if that helps. good luck!
karla.p