TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-03-04, 10:15pm

Default difference between vetro. and moretti?

I am compiling my glass list and I noticed that Vetro has most of the same color names but it is so much cheaper. Why is this? Does the glass work the same? Are the colors different? If it is the same I was thinking about buying more of it instead of so much of the basic moretti to save a bit of money to buy more handmade and I totally need some marvers. I am still using the same one that came with my flameworks torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-04, 10:52pm

Hi,

I was wondering the same thing....they also have alot of the same color numbers - so I always assumed they are the same....so if you had a choice vetro vs moretti and the color number is the same which would you pick and why?

thanks,
Shauna
Old 2006-03-04, 11:40pm
bailey, my golden girl

The only ones I use for a specific purpose are:
Vetro. black: for a black bead/seems more opaque stiffer than effetre (good for black and white beads)

Effetre black: more dark violet transparent (especially when mixed w/light opaques)

Effetre dense black: for special effect only

Vetro. Lt. Ivory: Seems stiffer and less reactive than Effetre, good for basic Ivory bead
Vetro. Dk. Ivory: Seems stiffer but still has some cool reactions, good for basic bead
Effetre Lt. Ivory: Very soft, melts quick, darkens the longer left in the flame, creates some cool reactions

Effetre Dk. Ivory: Carmalizes (?) in flame, cool color changes, cool reactions

Vetrofond usually has some cool "odd lot" colors and they are adding colors to compare with Effetre all the time. I have not tried many of these colors as I already have them in Effetre but if I was starting out I would go with either one. The crazy part is they all (even different lots of the same color!) are just a little different each time and if you want to try everything (like me) it drives you crazy. Some peeps also prefer Vetrofond clear over Effetre clear for it's clarity. Mainly it is personal prefrence (sp) Hope this helps and does not just confuse you. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Have fun melting!
karla

Last edited by karla.p; 2006-03-04 at 11:46pm.
Old 2006-03-05, 1:08am
Sombody's Mom

I used the Moretti light ivory and the Vetro light ivory and I noticed that when you have the vetro in the flame, it takes a bit longer for the "skin" to form so working with vetro takes a little more time per bead. However, the vetro ivory has a creamy smooth look to it when it cools and it still reacts great with turquoise and copper green etc....

Same with the Vetro periwinkle - have to work with it in the flame a little longer than Moretti because it takes a while to form a skin. Its a little stiffer than Moretti but the end color is a great match.

Vetrofond black is better (IMO) with white thank Moretti because it doesn't bleed like Moretti does, leaving you with a purplish hue. I use Moretti black if the decoration is raised and Vetro black if the design is melted in. I did find that pressed beads made with Vetro black tended to crack in half more easily than Moretti when pressed. Maybe because its a stiffer glass?

Basically Vetro seems to be the stiffer of the two.

Joce
Old 2006-03-05, 1:27am

I like both. I do find that vetrofond Clear is better and for me I use the moretti Ivorys more because the vetrofond seem to suck up your design.
The odd lot colors are nice. The black is great because it doesn't bleed onto other colors as much as moretti.

Old 2006-03-05, 10:04am

Correct me if I am wrong, here's the nutshell as I've heard it.

Moretti was the original glass maker for centuries. A cousin split off and started Vetrofond using the same formulas and Moretti is now called Effetre.

Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2006-03-05, 10:30am
Glassy Lady

There are small differences in color and viscosity.

I prefer the Vet. black as it doesn't bleed like Effet/Moret.

I prefer the Vet. turquoise and dark turquoise opaques because they don't reduce as easily as the Efft/Mor.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-03-05, 11:00am

A layer of effetre transparent cobalt over black will give you a nice black.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-03-05, 11:18am
Entropy increasing....

I ususally buy the basic colors in Vetro now. The transparents are less scummy.

I have some Vetro odd lot very light ivory that is almost white. It has the color reaction with turquoise, but it's a much lighter line around the turquoise.

I use the Effetre hand pulled colors. I haven't tried the Vetro opal yellow. Some of their hand pulled and odd lots are more expensive than Effetre.