Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-01-09, 11:39am
Formerly SirWatson

Default Need help brainstorming a ventilation system for my garage!

Okay, so not too long aoo, my husband and I bought a house that has an oversized garage AND had a perfect setup for a studio! The previous owners left a long work table in the garage and had a fluorescent light installed in the ceiling just above the table and lots of outlets. Perfect! Well, over several tedious months, I worked to turn that little corner into my lampworking studio.

I've completed everything but the ventilation system, and thought I'd ask the pros over here for their thoughts, since it's not as easy as just installing a vent hood.

To better explain my situation, I've attached an image of my garage's floor plan. (I apologize for the crappy image, but I had to do this in Powerpoint since my work doesn't provide us with image editors.)

As you can see, we have a two-car garage on the right side of our house. My studio is located in the upper lefthand corner of the garage. Directly to the right of my table, is the back door, and on the opposite side of the wall from my studio are the stairs leading up to our deck. The only window is located on the opposite side of the garage, next to a car.

First of all, I think I may have a difficult time hanging a hood over my workarea because of the pre-existing fluorescent light. However, I think this is the least of my worries. The next big issue relates to the duct-work related to a vent hood. Let's assume I can hang a range over my torch....where do I vent the "bad air"? I cannot vent the air through the wall behind my studio because of the deck stairs AND because half of the wall is concrete foundation (we live in a walk-out split level home). The one opening near my workarea is the back door, and that cannot be converted to a venting window. I also cannot vent the air through the ceiling above my workarea since our garage is underneath the bedrooms, and thus there is no attic. So...the only other option is to vent the air all the way across my garage to the one window on the right, which may interfere with parking our cars since there isn't that much room between the car and that wall.

So, with all that said do any of you guys have any ideas? I guess I could move the studio to the other side of the garage, but there isn't any lighting or outlets over there. I'm on a budget so doing a complete overhaul of the garage isn't really an option.

When I torch, I have the garage doors open along with the back door which actually produces a TON of air movement since my flame blows around like crazy. As such, would I be safe getting a powerful ventless range or something like that? I don't want to be forced to put another shed in our backyard or to have to go to studio and pay for torch time. I'd rather get my garage set up the best way I can. I know many of you have proper ventilation and may have been faced with some of the same issues I'm having. If you guys have any thoughts or suggestions....I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much for your time!

Karla
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
Old 2006-01-09, 12:13pm
ManBearPig

Since it's a garage, I'm assuming there isn't a second floor, right? Why not vent it out of the roof? Put a hood over the table and run some ductwork straight up.

You will have to get a vent cover to prevent rain/snow/birds from getting in, but it should work fine. Then just open the window for replacement air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-01-09, 12:29pm
Formerly SirWatson

Thanks for the suggestion, Chad, but as I mentioned our bedrooms are located over the garage. We live in a split level and the bedrooms are on the "second" floor witht he garage on the "first" floor. As such, we can't run duct-work straight up.

<><
Old 2006-01-09, 12:35pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson
Thanks for the suggestion, Chad, but as I mentioned our bedrooms are located over the garage. We live in a split level and the bedrooms are on the "second" floor witht he garage on the "first" floor. As such, we can't run duct-work straight up.
Whoops. Guess it pays to read, huh?

The only option I see (aside from moving the table) is to run the ductwork out the window. You probably wouldn't need that big of a duct. In fact you could probably use flexible ducting. If you do, you need a larger fan than you would for regular smooth ducting. Unfortunately, I'm not the guy to tell you what size and type of fan you need. Hopefully Mike or Dale will chime in soon and let you know.

It shouldn't be a problem to run ductwork, though. In that situation, that's what I would do. You can run it over the door along the wall up at the ceiling. It doesn't matter if the fan is at the hood or at the window.

Old 2006-01-09, 12:39pm
Formerly SirWatson

I think the ductwork to the window option is the only one I have, but like you said....I'm not sure what strength of fan I'd need or how large of duct work I'd need. Hmmmm....a fan near the window....I didn't think of that.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Dale, Mike....any thoughts?

<><
Old 2006-01-09, 12:46pm
ManBearPig

Here's what Mike posted in the thread I started about our studio. Obviously I was asking about a lot larger area, but the calculations should be similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
No - it doesn't really work that way. The size of the fan is dependant on how big the hood is.

For an overhead hood in the center of the room, you are going to need about 125 CFM per square foot of hood coverage.

I assume you are going to use a table or two tables side by side to mount the torches on, correct? Let's assume you are going to use 2 tables, each table measures 5 feet by 2 feet, so the total table area will be 5 feet by 4 feet, or 20 square feet. Multiply 20 by 125, and you get 2500 CFM.

You can run the fan(s) several ways, for example, you can use one 2500 CFM fan or two 1250 CFM fans, or three 850 CFM fans.

With a hood of this size, you might want to consider two or more fans, just so that if one or more workstations are not being used, you can essentially "turn off" one entire section of the hood and not have to worry about exhausting 2500 CFM of air for just a couple of torches.

You could use a variable speed motor control, but I don't recommend them for use with a multi station vent hood arrangement, only for one fan running a multi hood arrangement, similar to what I have at MAGiC.

Old 2006-01-09, 12:55pm
Safety ALWAYS

It's gotta be ducted outside - this is not an option - its a gotta...HOWEVER, how you do it is another issue. You've got a lot of flexibility in your layout.

I'd use the one window as your source of fresh air and the door to the outside as your exhaust duct.

Here's what I'd do: see if you can get a "blank" door that is the exact same size as the door that is currently in the wall. Take the new door and cut a duct hole in it where it is best - it can be at the top or bottom, no matter, however, you will be running duct through the hole, so be sure that it does not conflict with anything else.

On the inside of the back door, attach the duct with "super oversize" "hose" clamps - I've seen them with diameters up to 12" - they aren't cheap, but they will clamp the duct in place for uses such as this.

On the outside of the door, mount a 90 degree bend facing away from the house and down at about a 45 degree angle.

When you are torching, mount the duct to the door and open the window for fresh air.

When you are done torching, dismount the duct and close the window.

This is one of the very few installations that I'd use the semi-flex ducting - don't use the high flex plastic wall, but the metallaic semi-flex duct, and then only a short run of it to act as a transition between the rigid and the door for ease of removal.

Keep the old door in the basement or someplace safe, so that when it comes time to leave your house (sell it), you can put the old one back in and no one will know the difference.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-01-09, 3:01pm
Formerly SirWatson

Hmmmm....use the door for the exhaust duct? Interesting! I guess my questions related to this suggestion is what would a set up like that look like? Is it really as simple as "dismounting" the duct when I'm done torching? It seems like it would be a lot of work. We use that door a lot (it's our back door), so it'd be a pain to have to keep mounting and unmounting ductwork and such. Does anyone else use a system like this?

Mike - Do you think it's a bad idea to run ductwork along my garage ceiling to the window? If not, would you recommend one type of ductwork over another? (i.e., steel versus flexible) I'm no handyman (and neither is my husband) so I wouldn't even know where to begin with any of this. *sigh*

<><
Old 2006-01-09, 3:17pm
Floral Obsessed

Mike - would you still be able to open the door when the duct is connected? from my reading, I don't think you could, unless the duct was really flexible, OR - unless you cut it into a split door thingy (since you'd be cutting up the door for the duct anyway) and had the duct in the upper part. You'd still want to keep it closed while torching, (otherwise you'd just be letting the bad air right back in), but it would be more convenient if you needed to duck into the back yard right after torching and didn't want to disconnect right away.

Just a thought - good luck with your design! -Heather

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2006-01-09 at 3:29pm.
Old 2006-01-09, 3:31pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Hmmmm....use the door for the exhaust duct? Interesting! I guess my questions related to this suggestion is what would a set up like that look like? Is it really as simple as "dismounting" the duct when I'm done torching? It seems like it would be a lot of work. We use that door a lot (it's our back door), so it'd be a pain to have to keep mounting and unmounting ductwork and such. Does anyone else use a system like this?

I use this kind of setup, but I am ducting out a window, not a door. It works great for me. The flexible duct is attached to thick cardboard that fits the window opening. It only takes me a few seconds to open the window and place the "base" in the window. I then run a second duct from a window on the other side of the room directly into my torch area for fresh air. This way, the air temp doesn't affect my room temp. I know flexible duct work isn't the best, but it is the only way I could do this without drilling through the wall, although I still may do that for exhaust. When I'm done, it just takes a few seconds to dismantle it all and go outside and turn off my propane. It's really not a big deal. Here are a few pictures that I hope kind of give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Here is the duct work attached to the left side of the hood.

It vents out this window. I don't have the fresh air duct hooked up in this picture.
Old 2006-01-09, 3:47pm
Safety ALWAYS

Yes, the door CAN work - you would not be able to use it while the system is on (of course), which is why I suggested the dismount arrangement, but the split door is an option too, however, the split would have to be weather stripped to prevent backflow of contaminated air.

You can run a long duct to the window, however, you will probably NOT be able to use your current fan - they are not designed for long run ducts. Ducting should always be smooth-sided (usually galvanized metal). NEVER use flex ducting, especially the kind where you can feel ribs (as shown in the picture above). This type of flex was not designed for the type of high velocity air movement we require and seriously affects the free flow movement of air by creating turbulence in the airstream.

Lenora - it's a nice set up, BUT. The flex duct and the bends that show in the picture are reducing your air flow by better than 50%. If you have a 350 CFM fan (for example), I'd bet good money you are only exhausting about 175 CFM of air.

Ducting MUST be smooth (non-ribbed, non-flex), and run as straight and as level as possible.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-01-09, 5:39pm
Gentleman of Leisure

How locked in are you to having bench where it is.... What is chance of moving it to corner by window.... That way ANY door coud be a make up air souce and you could just vent out through window....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-01-09, 5:46pm
Formerly SirWatson

Thanks for everyone's input so far! I truly appreciate it!

I was just outside talking with my neighbor and he suggested I hang my fan over my workarea and use some baffles (so I don't need a fan with such a high CFM) and use smooth, metal ductwork from the top of the range to the edge of the door. He then suggested I take a piece of the flexible ducting and attach it to the metal duct and run it out the door.

Doing this would cut down on the amount of ribs/friction in the ducting and would keep me from having to buy a new door or poke a hole in the wall.

If you guys need a picture to better illustrate this...let me know.

Mike - Do you think running metal ductwork from the hood to the door would be sufficient?

Thanks again guys!

<><
Old 2006-01-09, 5:47pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Lenora - it's a nice set up, BUT. The flex duct and the bends that show in the picture are reducing your air flow by better than 50%. If you have a 350 CFM fan (for example), I'd bet good money you are only exhausting about 175 CFM of air.
Thanks Mike! That picture is of the ducting when it is NOT in use. It is a pretty straight shot to the window when it is hooked up correctly, but it is still the flexible ducting. I just don't want to cut a hole in the wall. It is a 650 CFM fan.
Old 2006-01-09, 6:01pm
Formerly SirWatson

Lenorasdesigns - I really like your set up too! I'm eyeing one of the 700 CFM fans on ebay right now, but at $250, I may have to wait a little bit. *gulp* I know the $30 exhaust fans at Home Depot won't do that much, but I'm worried that getting a 600-700 CFM fan may be overkill. That's moving a TON of air...I don't get how the flame can stay put with that much air be removed just above it.

<><
Old 2006-01-09, 10:48pm
Retired to the flame

What about going thru the wall right above the door? There should be a space of at least 4-6 inches above the door header. a flat 4x12 or 6x10 piece of duct work with an outside cover should give the required flow. Don't cut the header, but you can move the small blocks in between the header and the top plate to the outside of the duct to carry the roof load. With no ill effect. ( I worked as a Carpenter for several years before I became a Firefighter) If the space is too small you will have to go with the other options.
Old 2006-01-09, 10:50pm

Have you thought about running your ductwork out a hole above your door with a louver on the outside so you could keep it permanently attached and it wouldn't interfere with your door? Deb
Old 2006-01-10, 6:52am
Formerly SirWatson

Bryan/Deb - Thanks for your suggestions! I'm not at home right now, so I'm not exactly sure how much room I have between the top of the door and the ceiling. Our garage is totally sheetrocked and "finished" (including the ceiling), so there may not be too much room above the door. I'll check when I get home.

I don't have an issue cutting a hole in the wall, but I'd rather do that as a last resort since I have no idea how to do that. Plus, we have siding, and I wouldn't even know what to do to cut through that as well.

<><
Old 2006-01-10, 7:53am
Safety ALWAYS

Karla - you can't just dump it out an open door - there won't be anything to stop it from returning back into the garage. It has to pass through some type of partition that is relatively air tight and at least 10 linear feet from the fresh air intake.

Old 2006-01-10, 9:06am
Formerly SirWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
How locked in are you to having bench where it is.... What is chance of moving it to corner by window.... That way ANY door coud be a make up air souce and you could just vent out through window....

Dale
Hi Dale! I missed your post! I'm sorry! To answer your question...I'm kind of partial to the corner I'm in since there's electrical outlets, and lighting already in place. If I move corners, I'll have to run extension cords from the corner where my studio is currently located and install some sort of lighting. The extension cords aren't a big deal, but I'd rather not run a power strip on an extension cord to power my oxycon, kiln, hot plate and range hood.

I'd like to vent out the window...I just don't know if it'll do the job or not.

Do you think getting a 700 CFM hood and usings flexible ductwork from the hood across the ceiling to the window will do the job? Is that too far of a distance to vent the air? Will the rough inside of the flexible ductwork cause lots of problems with a 700 CFM hood? So many questions!

<><
Old 2006-01-10, 9:53am
Safety ALWAYS

Just don't use flexible ducting - use plain straight smooth galvanize metal ducting.

Old 2006-01-10, 5:27pm
Gentleman of Leisure

My thoughts are if you go through door its going to be a pain but workable. IF you use a split door, its going to be a head killer...

Only other solution is to just punch through wall beside bench ad be done with it... OR if you don't want to punch through wall, run rectangular smooth wall metal duct across ceiling to window and dump out window. BUT you must calculate size, distance and turns in duct to get to window and use fan with enough CFM (velocity) to move required volume of air...

Dale

Old 2006-01-11, 5:30am
Safety ALWAYS

I don't recommend the use of rectangular ducting. You may get a larger cross-section, but it is very difficult to "plumb" and you cannot change sizes or shapes at any point in the duct run. Stick with round ducting, it's easier to "plumb" and easier to manipulate.

Old 2006-01-11, 6:37am
Formerly SirWatson

Thanks guys! I think I'll try the flex ducting first. I want to get one of the 700 CFM hoods on ebay, but I need to wait for a little more funding. I think with the power of that hood, the distance from my workarea to the window, the friction caused by the ducting and the turns to get the ducting to the window (once all factored in) will give me about 400 CFM. I think that's pretty good for what I need. There's already a good flow through the garage when I open the garage door and the back door, so I think I'll be pretty safe.

What do you guys think?

<><
Old 2006-01-11, 7:31am
Safety ALWAYS

No, flex ducting is a very BAD idea. Don't try to overcome the friction loss with a bigger fan, it still won't work.

Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it over when the fan burns out, which it will.

Putting 50% back pressure on a fan motor is a Very Bad Idea. Especially on kitchen fans which are not designed for high static pressures!!!!!!!

Please, do it right the first time. Don't use flexible ducting!

Old 2006-01-11, 9:37am
I'm a lilac!

Are the deck stairs enclosed? I'm wondering why the deck stairs prevent you from venting straight out... a low-profile vent shouldn't interfere with the stairs at all,a nd that would save you a lot of hassle.

Old 2006-01-11, 11:38am
Formerly SirWatson

Mike - Sorry if I seem to be going in circles with the types of ducting. Dale suggested the rectangular metal ducting, and you suggested round ducting. The only round ducting I'm familiar with is the flexible ducting. Are you referring to PVC ducting or something like that? This whole thing is confusing.

Kalera - The stairs to the deck are open but they run against the wall right where I'd need to vent the air. Plus, punching a hole through the wall is a last resort since I don't have the money nor expertise to take on such a challenge. However...you mentioned a low profile vent. Would that be something like an exhaust fan...similar to what you'd find in a bathroom? If so...I may be able to get something like that to work around the stairs. I would just need to figure out how to install it through the wall.

<><
Old 2006-01-11, 11:59am
Safety ALWAYS

Round smooth sided galvanized metal ducting is available at all home improvement stores. It usually comes in 4 foot sections. It comes in 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", 10", and 12" diameters.

It is usually found in the heating/cooling aisle of most home improvement stores such as Lowes or Home Depot.

Old 2006-01-11, 1:24pm
Formerly SirWatson

Quote:
Round smooth sided galvanized metal ducting is available at all home improvement stores. It usually comes in 4 foot sections. It comes in 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", 10", and 12" diameters.

It is usually found in the heating/cooling aisle of most home improvement stores such as Lowes or Home Depot.
Ohhhhhhhh......

Thanks Mike!

<><
Old 2006-01-11, 9:57pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Mike - Sorry if I seem to be going in circles with the types of ducting. Dale suggested the rectangular metal ducting, and you suggested round ducting. The only round ducting I'm familiar with is the flexible ducting. Are you referring to PVC ducting or something like that? This whole thing is confusing.

Kalera - The stairs to the deck are open but they run against the wall right where I'd need to vent the air. Plus, punching a hole through the wall is a last resort since I don't have the money nor expertise to take on such a challenge. However...you mentioned a low profile vent. Would that be something like an exhaust fan...similar to what you'd find in a bathroom? If so...I may be able to get something like that to work around the stairs. I would just need to figure out how to install it through the wall.
My ideas of using rectangular duct to go from bench area to window was to keep profile of duct from extending too far down from ceiling into garage "space". Yes there is more complications in "plumbing" duct around corners and bends but with your self imposed restrictions everything you are trying to do going to complicate your installation because of your unwillingness to make certain compromises... Like moving bench to under window, it would sweep away most issues we have been discussing here if you were willing to move it.

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-01-11 at 9:59pm.