Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-08-23, 9:42pm
*Desa Elliott*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyJo1969 View Post
Hey, isn't Artful Dodger a cartoon character?

Well, that tears it! I"m off to Harbor Freight to order a welders apron!
The apron doesn't cover ears, and the Artful Dodger was in the musical "Oliver", I think.

That just proves that not only am I a smart-arse, I am an OLD smart-arse. Oliver come out in 1967, and I was in 7th grade. Gawd time flies!!!

So do Lausha rods when they escape from the hemos!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
G-88
Creideamh, Sùil, Dìlseachd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2009-08-24, 3:31am
BeadsonCypress

In summer I wear as little as possible! I would feel confined with a leather apron (even in winter).....yep, I've been known to torch in a tube top!!! A couple of small chips have landed on my arm. but an apron won't help that. I do use a rolling chair though, just in case I do drop something....In 3 years, maybe 3 times...

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-08-24, 3:56am

I guess I just need to get burned more before I take that many precautions.

MDM
Old 2009-08-24, 6:34am
Just at the begining

I usually wear one, but my wife made a video of me making beads in my shorts, it was just too hot to wear one, and yes some hot glass got me, but nothing serious, just enough to make me put it on.
Old 2009-08-24, 7:05am
ManBearPig

I don't wear leather for any reason, whether on the torch or not. I do wear kevlar sleeves sometimes, but usually only when I'm working on something really big.

Old 2009-08-25, 2:34pm

Not leather, but I have a kevlar apron I try to remember to use when I make marbles.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:28am

I found little kevlar gloves that I use for putting stuff in my front loading kiln-no bead door.

Opening it and throwing things in wasn't working well, lol, and I couldn't take the heat, even using pliers to place them in. I put on the glove while I'm moving from the torch to the kiln, and I'm amazed at how big a difference it made.

As soon as I found the things in a small, I knew I had to try 'em! and they're cheap, too!
Old 2009-09-18, 11:19am

Question Welding Apron

Hey All,

I just started lampworking this week. I bought aleather welding apron, and wear it everytime I torch. The problem is hta tit is very stiff, adn VERY SMELLY! Can I use leather conditioner onit to soften it, make it smell better, adn keep it ftom getting brittle? Just wondering. P.S. Ever noticed how bad weldin dtuff smells. I have a weelding blanke under my work station, adn it smells like old tobacco. Yuck!
Thanks!
Old 2009-09-18, 12:14pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannydotson View Post
Hey All,

I just started lampworking this week. I bought aleather welding apron, and wear it everytime I torch. The problem is hta tit is very stiff, adn VERY SMELLY! Can I use leather conditioner onit to soften it, make it smell better, adn keep it ftom getting brittle? Just wondering. P.S. Ever noticed how bad weldin dtuff smells. I have a weelding blanke under my work station, adn it smells like old tobacco. Yuck!
Thanks!
i'd take it back and get another brand. mine is very soft and flexible and smells fine. paid $35 for it at the welding store even though i saw it other places for much cheaper for just that reason.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-09-18, 12:41pm

I got mine from another LE member (thanks!) and I love it. I typically torch at night so the heat isnt as much of an issue. I wear a kevlar sleeve on my left arm, because for some reason it gets hot more easily than my right. go figure.

handmade with my headphones on...
Old 2009-10-11, 10:23pm

I've got one similar to this without the pockets~ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AKIRIA

I would probably wear it inside out so the pockets don't collect any fallen fragments. It's a great price and better to be safe than sorry. Leather is actually pretty cool compared to Kevlar and after a freak 3rd degree burn from a molten rod cracking I wear my leather everytime I torch. I don't need another scar. Did you know molten glass likes to stick to your skin? Yeah. Best 20 bucks you could spend!

Listen to your inner voice. It knows what's it's talking about.
Old 2009-10-18, 10:01pm

I had boro pop off the ponty and hit the sweater I was wear. The sweater melting gave me a second degree burn on my chest. My son who works with metal says I should be covered in denim. So I went to a thrift shop and bought a XXL denim jacket. It works as a large smock, keeps me covered from neck to knee and I have plenty of room to maneuver.
Old 2009-10-20, 7:33pm
Unmedicated since '62

i'll probably wear on after the first time i burn my hooha

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-10-25, 6:41am
Ambivitreous

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
A welder's apron will cost you $7 at Harbor Freight. If it prevents even 1 burn you've made your money back. Hot glass can fly into some pretty uncomfortable places. I always wear mine, regardless.

Robert
Robert,

Thanks for mentioning the HF aprons. That's a great deal. DW and I got a pair of them and we're using them every time we torch now.

I've been fortunate (and careful) and haven't had any serious burns since I started glass working. There's bound to be a first time, but I'm not going to hurry it along. I'm not too fond of burns, and anything I can do to prevent them is good by me.

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2009-10-25, 6:44am

I got my apron from HF. It is smelly, like I said before, but every time I pass by it and smell that smelly smell, I think about torching. It's like chocolate to me now!!!
Old 2009-10-25, 6:52am
Ambivitreous

Ours are a bit funky too, but not so bad. I'm sure it will pass in time...or we'll just get used to it.

Isn't it funny how we can develop such good feelings about weird odors?

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2009-10-25, 6:54am

I think it is something like Pavlov's thinking with me. You know, I torch with that smell on me now, and I love torching. So now, ever time I walk by it, I think I need to torch. It's like chocolate. I love chocolate. Ever time I see it, I think I MUST eat it!
Old 2009-10-25, 7:01am
Blue Diamond Glassworks

I love my leather apron. When I first started torching and saw a huge burn hole in my chair, that I hadn't known happened. I realized I needed protection and went to a welding store near me. I even take the apron to any classes I take or demos I do.

I now feel the same way about my apron that I feel about seat belts -- WEAR IT.

Phyllis
Old 2009-10-25, 7:06am
Ambivitreous

MMMM...Chocolate!....No!....Must resist....

<<< Please Pardon Hijack.....
I have another really odd association like that. We spent just about all of our time (and money) last spring taking classes at the Studio at Corning. We had a blast, and it seems kind of like a second home. The soap they were using in the restroom dispensers has a very unique smell. There are areas of the University Medical Center where I work that use the same kind of soap. Every time I scrub my hands, it's kind of a happy glass flashback. On less than stellar days, I've actually gone out of my way to use those dispensers! Maybe this is fodder for a different thread? Glass-odor associations? .... Hijack done. More apologies. Back to apron thread. >>>>

Old 2009-10-25, 7:08am

He, he, he!
Old 2009-10-25, 7:08am
Ambivitreous

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerp View Post

I even take the apron to any classes I take or demos I do.

I now feel the same way about my apron that I feel about seat belts -- WEAR IT.

Phyllis
Absolutely.

We're taking a couple of classes at Corning in November. Our aprons will be going along.

Old 2012-08-11, 7:08pm
shirts

Glad that I searched and found this thread... I got a little burn on my bicep last week, from a piece of shocky glass and started to wonder if I should be wearing specific things for torching... I picked up a leather welding apron (it is really big on little me!). Should I be fine with long sleeved cotton shirts, to protect my arms? (I am making little soft glass beads - nothing fancy! No marbles or sculptural stuff...).
Stay safe, everyone!
Annie.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:58am
I'm meeeeelting

Long sleeved cotton shirts will probably give you enough protection. If you find they don't, I'd suggest a pair of kevlar sleeves.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-08-12, 7:53am

Ditto on wearing the apron. Ditto on buying the bright orange suede one from Harbor Freight. Ditto on protecting our frontal twins.

My shocky glass has been known to land in the pockets of the apron!

Remember, too, that glass can fall off the work surface and into your lap.

Each blackened out hole in the welder's apron is a Hail Mary because it missed our skin and clothes!

Most of my burns are on my arms when a rod shocks - Get some Burt's Bees Res-Q ointment. Fastest stuff I have ever seen to reduce the pain and start healing. Rarely ever get a blister if I get that stuff on quickly enough!

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2012-08-12, 8:09am
Melody of Glass

This is a good one from Rockler. It's a wood-turner's apron so it is designed not to catch things in pockets or to allow things down your shirt! It's huge on me, though.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17200

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-12, 12:10pm
I like fire....

If its too hot - maybe try wearing a BBQ apron. they are like a heavy canvas. Not as much protection but I would bet it would be better than nothing.
Old 2012-08-12, 1:37pm
"Sinners have soul too"

The leather apron is overkill for me... I hate to be hot... and the bit of hot glass poppin' off are not enough deterrent for me to stop wearing shorts, tank tops and flip flops when I torch. The worst burns I've ever had would not have been prevented by a leather apron. I'm gettin' use to the tiny pin hole burns in all of my shirts... I just make sure I don't wear my favorite things here.

Last edited by zen-mom; 2012-08-12 at 8:14pm. Reason: damn you auto correct!
Old 2012-08-12, 5:22pm

I got tired of the burns and started wearing a leather apron.

Then I got tired of being hot and have the stiffnes of the leather cut into my neck.

So, I gave in, spent a few more $$$ and got a welders bib apron made with Carbon-X. It's soft, comfortable and protects you like leather. Highly recommended if you can afford to spend a bit more.
Old 2012-08-12, 7:06pm
Melody of Glass

I have the advantages (?) of living in Canada and torching in the basement so the heat is not a factor. Perfectly comfortable in jeans, tshirt, leather apron and flame on.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-13, 5:26pm
shirts

Is it wrong to have leather apron envy, Melody?? While that apron you posted is much more than the leather welder apron I picked up, it looks like it provides MUCH better coverage around the upper chest...
As for the heat, I have just decided to be zen about it... I will TOTALLY appreciate it in winter when the cold air is being sucked in (and out?) of my studio. For the summer, I have just reminded myself that I enjoy saunas and the heat while torching can be thought of as a sauna...
Thanks for the kevlar sleeve suggestion Felicia. I shall see how it goes with a long-sleeved cotton shirt!
Annie.