Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-03-22, 11:56pm
Recovering Enabler

Default A Word On Sarakay's Blue Bead Tutorial

I have to say, Sarakay was right! "You must be sitting right in your chair, the stars in the right alignment, and holding your mouth right."
I tried to make a 'few' (haha) the other night, and out of 7........one was just okay.........I did everything the same each time! Has anyone had consistent luck?????
Here's my trial and errors!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-03-23, 1:54pm
Ecclectic & Eccentric

Nope - not always the same at all - but, occasionally get this - which I like alot! It is better in person.....

Have gotten the Robins egg blue a few times - but only in small patches on two different beads - so, I give it a go once every now and then - hoping for the big one! LOL

Cheers, Lavender

~~~
~~~

"If its glass, its fair game." ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Resplendent in Divergence.
Old 2006-03-23, 4:32pm
Recovering Enabler

Hi Lavender,
I like that bead alot too! It's amazing how many different reactions the same 'ingredients' can produce!

Old 2006-03-23, 5:42pm
I'm a lilac!

The secret to Sarakay's bead is getting the right flame chemistry to actually cause the silver on the bead to fume... try turning your flame down small, making it slightly reducing, then bringing the bead into the lower edge of the flame just until the silver starts to "sizzle" a little. Roll the bead slowly in the lower edge of the flame until the whole bead is fumed, then encase without reintroducing the fumed, unencased part of the cobalt directly into the flame again. Hopefully that will give you more consistent results once you get the hang of it!

Old 2006-03-24, 9:49am
Floral Obsessed

Just wanted to say that I think the beads look great even without the effect you were going for! Mmmm... cobalt. -H.
Old 2006-03-25, 11:19am
Recovering Enabler

Thanks Kalera! I 'get' it and will try again!
Thanks Heather! You must love cobalt.......

Old 2006-03-25, 4:55pm
Boheme Flamework Designs

Here's my try at it. Some of them have the light blue in it but you can't really see it.

Deb Cline
Old 2006-03-26, 7:53pm

I'd forgotten about the tutorial for it until I saw this thread - I think it was starting to work here, but not enough clear yet... I will be trying again.

I love seeing all these, and ye gads, you people making sets! I can make frogs, sheep, and lizards like mad, but sets - real live meant to match sets - drive me batty.
Attached Images

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-03-26, 10:51pm
Recovering Enabler

Hey Deb and Nikki....great beads! I haven't tried it again yet, but when I do I'm going to use Kalera's bit of advice.
Nikki, I made a sheep a few months ago, came out pretty nice and then cracked.......I'll stick with sets!

Old 2006-09-09, 11:37am
Crazy Snake Lady

Wwwwaaaahhhh! I was finally getting the robin's egg blue reaction when my bead broke.
Old 2006-09-10, 7:21pm
Life is change. Love it

Just a bit too cool Laurie! Beautiful colours, you'll succeed next time!

Old 2006-09-10, 11:37pm
He can do the origami

I started getting more consistant reslults by using a bit more silver than I normally do on other beads. I use a technique close to what Kalera described.