No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-04-13, 1:14am
Mummy to 3 Little Elves

Default AUR-92 Shield

I just got one and I am very pleased to not have to wear didys over my prescription glasses anymore! Yay! But, I have read through here and can't find the answer to my question. After having used didynium glasses I noticed an immediate difference when using the shield. With didys I do not see the glare of the orange flame when I put the glass in the flame but with the shield I do (but, obviously, not as bright as if I was looking directly at it). Is this supposed to happen with AUR-92?

I was also wondering if anyone has used a longer vertical rod with the AUR-92 shield. I have it clamped to my work table and have it as far off to the left as possible. I am thinking that a taller vertical rod would get it out the way even more. Anyone tried a longer rod?

Thanks for any help/advice on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-13, 6:08am
Safety ALWAYS

Allie -- you are still going to see "some" yellow with the AUR-92 shield. This is normal, and not harmful at all to your eyes. This was a choice we made with our last batch, we had gotten some complaints that people could not see the flame at all, so we thinned down the filter plate a bit.

Any machine shop should be able to make a new rod for you -- it is 3/8" cold rolled steel, with a NC 3/8-16 thread.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-04-15, 12:06am
Mummy to 3 Little Elves

Machine shop? Remember I am English. I suppose I could ask DH but he's asleep right now LOL You mean a welder place? I don't even know where the nearest one is.

I think I am going to need that Boro shield conversion, Mike. I took the plunge and ordered some Boro to try! Should I just order it through the store? The store has two prices. On the main shields page it has $45 but if you go to 'buy' it has $50. You ought to change it so it's the same on both pages whether it's the former or the latter. Anyway, I need to order one!!!

Old 2007-04-16, 6:18am
Safety ALWAYS

$50 is the correct price. I know about the problem, and am trying to get it resolved.

Look in the yellow pages for "Machine Shop".

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-04-24, 8:10am
Mummy to 3 Little Elves

Mike, I received the Boro upgrade and it did not come as described on your website. I received just the shield and screws and some hand written instructions on how to drill holes in it and attack to the AUR-92. I am concerned about the AUR-92 splitting or breaking. I thought that the AUR-92 would arrive with the Boro upgrade attached (as described on your website) and that I would return the original (2 week old) AUR-92 to you in the box that the upgrade came in. I have written to your associate, Holly, and she told me I could return all and that it could be done back at your establishment and did not see why I should have to be without my shield for a week or so at this point (and not be able to torch). So, I asked her if I could just do as the website described - receive the AUR-92 shield WITH Boro upgrade and return the parts that I have and have received no response on this issue or the refund. Please advice. Thanks.

Old 2007-04-24, 8:17am
Safety ALWAYS

Please read the PM answer I just sent you in response to your PM which duplicates this message above.