No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-16, 6:10pm
Lover of all things color

Default Anise White Test

I couldn't remember why Anise white was so special so I did a test bead with some of the reactive colors. Below are the results.

The colors from the top down:
EDP-some reaction
Copper Green - nothing
Dark Turquoise - nothing
Light Turquoise - hardly visible
New Violet - nothing
Rubino - I like the way the rubino spread into the new violet
Petroleum green - some reaction
Intense Black - some webbing

Here is another one I did with all of my favorite "reactors" and "spreaders", lt and dark turquoise, new violet, rubino and copper green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Last edited by simvet02; 2008-09-16 at 6:16pm. Reason: forgot another photo
Old 2008-09-17, 5:06pm

Very interesting! Thanks, Jan!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-09-19, 3:33am

Yes, thanks! I'm glad I have some anise white now. I am actually terrified of anise white. It's so shocky and really hurts when some of it pops off in the flame and flies up in your face. But those color reactions on a base bead of anise white are really cool!
Old 2008-09-19, 5:53am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I bought bunches of Anise White when everyone was getting rid of it because it *is* so shocky. I love the color!! If you introduce it into the flame slowly you won't have to worry about glass spitting at you and yes, you are correct, it hurts like nothing else!
Old 2008-09-19, 12:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance_1 View Post
I bought bunches of Anise White when everyone was getting rid of it because it *is* so shocky. I love the color!! If you introduce it into the flame slowly you won't have to worry about glass spitting at you and yes, you are correct, it hurts like nothing else!
You know, I have tried that but I think my stash may be just shockier than most because I'll think I have run it through the flame long enough (I have actually waved it in and out for about a full minute and a half maybe longer!), then introduce it fully into the flame and STILL.........a big 2 inch chunk of it will pop off, then another chunk, and another....... THEN maybe it will melt properly after I'm left with only a small stump of rod and my fingers are maybe an inch away from the flame lol!
Old 2008-09-19, 12:20pm

Can you preheat your rods in the open face of your kiln? That usually helps for me. But only if I am using the part that's pre-heated, lol! If I go past that, chip, chip, chip. That said, tho, the only rods that were SO shocky I had to anneal them first were aventurine filigranas.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-09-19, 12:34pm

Jenny, thanks. When I finally get nerve enough to actually turn my kiln on and LEAVE it on. So far I've only turned it on twice. Just to test it and see if I can adjust the settings because I don't have a digital controller. Thats next on my list. I have a whole pile of beads (practice beads, but they are still pretty) that I have yet to anneal. I like to make small beads, flame anneal them then set them aside and then anneal them later.
Wow, I'm getting off topic sorry! I just ramble on an on........
About the aventurine it's funny. Because I have some goldstone chunks which were given to me as a bonus with my first glass order. I had no idea what these chunks were when I picked them up and looked at them. So I decided to pick a piece up with tweezers and melt it. Surprisingly, it wasn't shocky at all. I decided to make a stringer out of it, but found out quickly THAT doesn't work unless you encase it with clear first. LOL! Plus, I burned all the sparkle out of it. I still have about 4 or 5 big chunks of it thankfully so that when I learn how to use it properly I'll have it.
Old 2008-09-19, 2:31pm

Jammy, I got a cheap hot plate at Walmart and preheat all my shocky rods with it. Works like a charm. I keep an anise rod on there all the time just in case. Painted Desert Odd is another one that is just a killer.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-09-19, 4:27pm
Glass-aholic

the reactions SHOULD intensify if the white is worked to death before hand. It always does odd things to me when I have worked it for SOOOO long.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-09-19, 4:32pm

Jaci, do you mean just to heat the crap out of it prior to adding other colors to it? If so, that's really interesting. I wonder why it's does that. Wonder what is added to it to make it different.

Anyone know?

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-09-19, 6:55pm
Glass-aholic

not really, i think I worked it hot initially, but in the process of sculpting (a long time, cool heat... lots of working hot cool, etc.. ) it just became more susceptible to reactions. if that makes any sense.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-09-19, 8:54pm

http://www.smircich.com/html/anise_white.html
Old 2008-09-20, 1:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Jammy, I got a cheap hot plate at Walmart and preheat all my shocky rods with it. Works like a charm. I keep an anise rod on there all the time just in case. Painted Desert Odd is another one that is just a killer.
Jan, is that like a candle warmer you can get at Walmart? Because I have one of those and I wonder if it will work for rods?
Old 2008-09-20, 4:48am

I have some Anise white mixed with other Moretti white, it is about 4 years old. How can I tell them apart?
Thanks
Sabrina
Old 2008-09-20, 9:21am
Lampworkaholic!

Sabrina - the Anise white has a bit of a translucent look and the rods (at least all the ones I have) have a slightly rough or textured feel, whereas the regular white is opaque and more glossy smooth. Just my experience, your mileage may vary ...
Old 2008-09-20, 6:04pm

Thank you erose!
Old 2008-09-23, 7:47am
Glass-aholic

if you hold them up to a bright light the anise looks like rice, and is translucent. you can see the light through the rod.

Old 2008-09-23, 11:37am

So, show us your beads with anise white, please. I do have some, but donīt know what to do with it. I did try the webbing thing with intense black, but what else do you lovely people do with it?

R#115
Old 2008-09-24, 2:33pm
Lover of Life

Here is anise white with EDP. Just those two. Got some nice reaction from it. I worked it really quite hot.

Have a good one!
Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."

Last edited by bexrox; 2008-09-25 at 7:20pm.
Old 2008-09-26, 9:41pm
Lover of Life

Boo hoo! I killed a thread!!

Old 2008-09-27, 1:40am
offically down under

I prefer the vetrofond Anise white as it's much less shocky. Warm it high in the flame and it behaves quite nicely. It curdles and blends nicely with the earthy colors.

Old 2008-09-27, 3:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
Jan, is that like a candle warmer you can get at Walmart? Because I have one of those and I wonder if it will work for rods?
Jammy, I'm not sure. What does a candle warmer do? I would sure try it. The thing I got is for cooking on. I don't even have it up all the way. I got it for my larger rods of clear and it works wonderfully for them too.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-09-27, 3:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexrox View Post
Here is anise white with EDP. Just those two. Got some nice reaction from it. I worked it really quite hot.

Have a good one!
Becky
Becky, this is wonderful. I'll have to try it today. So, when you work the EDP really hot do you get a lot of the devit? I know you are suppose to then clean it off in a high oxygen flame but don't seem to have much luck with that.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-09-27, 6:18am

That's pretty, Becky!
With intense black, it blends and blends if you heat it long enough. Sometimes I can't even tell there was white there to begin with.

Old 2008-09-27, 4:27pm
Lover of Life

Jan, I wish I could be more clear on what I did. Sometimes I get in the flame and go crazy, trying this and that, and can't really remember what action had what effect ... sorry! I know I did try a reduction flame, and got a very silvery coating on the bead. Don't know if that was the EDP, the AW, or a combination. Also did get some devit, but I'm sure it was a high oxy flame that cooked it off, and eliminated the reduced effect as well. Now, whether I got the devit while I used high propane, or not, that's where I'm a little lost. I guess the best thing I can say is: Reactions can happen between these two glasses... if you have 'em, get in there and try everything!

Tammy, those are fabulous beads, esp. the first one. I think I might have seen it elsewhere, because the imagery of an aerial view of a shoreline came instantly, and I know that happened in the last few days too. I think I must have Vetrofond AW too (see how lame I am? How am I supposed to know what to get next time?!?) because mine barely shocks. Regular moretti white is way worse for me.

Becky

Old 2018-10-19, 1:02pm

What is EDP!??!!?!
Its beautiful!
Old 2018-10-19, 2:30pm

EDP is Effetre #254 .. it can be troublesome to work with so it got the nickname Evil Devitrifying Purple (EDP). Sadly it's currently out of production.