Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-22, 8:46pm
Pyro Tyro

Default Dremel vs Black & Decker cordless

I hear a lot of talk about using Dremels to clean out bead holes - is there a reason people use cordless Dremels rather than a cordless Black & Decker? Are there diamond bits that fit a Black & Decker? I was at Walmart today - you can get a B&D cordless for like $20.

Enquiring minds need to know.

Thanks. Jill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-22, 9:36pm

I use a dremel brand dremel, with a cord. I love it. Sturdy little bugger. I've seen dremel brand dremels that have been absolutely ANCIENT & still running--in fact, one woman regularly brings hers into my sis's hardware store to have me change the bits on it--she gets the thing so rusted together she isn't strong enough to get the bits out--I use pliers to break it free for her --it's still running like a dream as far as the motor goes & with just a drop of oil & a good grip on the pliers we fix it every time!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-10-23, 3:37am

I can't comment on the cordless dremel, but the rechargeable batteries for my cordless B&D have to be switched out every time I use it. I haven't been very impressed with it and in retrospect I wish I would have sprung for the dremel.
Old 2008-10-23, 3:40am
BeadsonCypress

I use the corded one and love it. I get my bits for 10/$1.00 in a variety of sizes and change them about once a month (about 200 beads or so)....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-10-23, 3:55am

Default I don't know about Black and Decker..........

but I purchased a cordless Chicago for around that price. It worked well for me for the first eight months. Yes I had to recharge the battery every time, but I could get through a session - mind you I lampwork only on weekend so we are not talking about a ton of beads. Then the battery life became extremely short. It reached the point where I had less than 10 minutes on a fully charged battery. I couldn't find a new battery. So I broke down and bought a cordless dremel - LOVE IT!!!!

Vicki

SRA #C88

Old 2008-10-23, 4:50am

I love my cordless Dremel Mighty Mite. It was only $20 at Walmart. I have also used my Black and Decker cordless screw driver, but the Mighty Mite has more power for cleaning beads.
Old 2008-10-23, 6:00am
Mary Lockwood

Be careful with the corded dremels you guys, you could electrocute yourself because you are running water over what you are cleaning.

I have both the cordless dremel AND the black and decker cordless. I have the bead cleaning bit in the dremel and the silver polishing tip in the black and decker, but used to use it to clean beads until I got the dremel. I like the dremel better. It is balanced better so I can clean beads for a good long time before my hands get tired. I didn't have any trouble at all with the black and decker battery though, it didn't need to seem charged every single time.

I don't remember how much the dremel cost, but I know it was worth the price difference. However, I do still use the black and decker and it's fine. If you need to save money, it does the job and I've had it over 6 years.

~~Mary

Old 2008-10-23, 6:28am

I love my dremel (so sturdy, I have it for quite a while now) and my absolute favourite bits are from Dave http://www.artintheround.com/page5.html. They cost a bit more than many other bits but they are worth every penny...

I bet with the right collet, it could fit on a B&D as well.

Old 2008-10-23, 7:13am
Pyro Tyro

Hey thanks everyone for weighing in!! I really appreciate it.

There's a nice cordless dremel that comes w/ 50 or so attachments and a nice carrying bag for about $43. So I'll probably get that one when I receive the check I'm waiting for! OR... if I have fantastic good fortune and everyone buys my vessels at the little market I'm doing on Saturday... then I can just toddle off to Lowes after that!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

- Jill

Old 2008-10-23, 7:20am
Borovangelist

I use a shaft with my corded dremel to reduce the electrocution hazard.

With mine, my wife bought it for me as a christmas gift years ago. She didn't get me the cordless one though because at the time they showed a master lock being cut off in the commercials and she didn't want me getting into portable mischief

I like the corded vs cordless version though since I don't have to worry about the batteries going bad over time.

Sears makes their own brand too.

|
|
Old 2008-10-23, 7:25am
Who me?

I use a cordless Dremel - the pistol grip one - cost about $70 - I use artintheround bits - GOOD thing about Dremel is it's guatanteed - They sent me a new one at just about the two year mark because mine pooped out.
Old 2008-10-23, 11:39am

I just had to put my imput on this one my first was a dremel now I use the craftsman I have 3.Cordless rechargable one that I have the flexshaft attachment on the other just the regular type.These I have found seems to run more smoothly than the reg.dremel the torque(speed) seems to me to be alot more powerful.All have the variable speeds and on the last one my hubby got the extended warranty so if breaks or dosen't work like it should I just take it to sears and get a new one.In price it is about the same as the dremel with attachments and comes with the case.They are all compatable with the dremel bits I usually just go to the wholesale place and buy the diamond bits.Also one more thing this should also be done even on dremel change out the little carbon motor brushes this will also save the life of the tool.hope this helps

Last edited by char; 2008-10-23 at 11:46am.
Old 2008-10-23, 11:52am
Pyro Tyro

Talking Check's in the mailbox!

Thanks again everyone. I'm very appreciative of all the input!

I got the check I was expecting!!! I'll go visit my local Lowes this afternoon. If they don't have it in stock, I can order at lowes.com and then pick it up at the store when it comes in - coooool beans.

- Jill
soon to have beautifully
clean bead holes!

Old 2008-10-23, 4:07pm

I have the Craftsman cordless tool that is identical to the Dremel Mini Mite. I only use it for cleaning beads since I have a flexshaft for other uses; as Mary said I didn't want to risk electrocution when I'm using power tools and water. It was $29 at Orchard Supply Hardware, plus I had a $10 off $50 coupon. I had other things to buy, so it worked out well.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-10-23, 4:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
I use a cordless Dremel - the pistol grip one - cost about $70 - I use artintheround bits - GOOD thing about Dremel is it's guatanteed - They sent me a new one at just about the two year mark because mine pooped out.
I get pain in my hands when I have to grip something a certain way and the regular corded dremel made my hands ache. My fiance got me the that pistol grip one for my birthday last year and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it - it has made all the difference in the world. I can clean over a hundred beads in one sitting EASILY and not even tell that the battery has lost any power. Did I mention how much I love it?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-23, 5:01pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I get pain in my hands when I have to grip something a certain way and the regular corded dremel made my hands ache. My fiance got me the that pistol grip one for my birthday last year and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it - it has made all the difference in the world. I can clean over a hundred beads in one sitting EASILY and not even tell that the battery has lost any power. Did I mention how much I love it?
Yep, me too, squid. I don't get cramps in my hands any more and since I clean the beads under a running faucet I don't get splashed with the over spray like I did with the other style - well the Beadreamer helps some with the splashing water.
Old 2008-10-23, 6:37pm

The pistol grip Dremel with the lithium battery is the best!
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-10-23, 9:02pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie D. View Post
I love my dremel (so sturdy, I have it for quite a while now) and my absolute favourite bits are from Dave http://www.artintheround.com/page5.html. They cost a bit more than many other bits but they are worth every penny...
These bits + Dremel MiniMite (cordless, of course) = the perfect marriage. I've had my Dremel for 3 1/2 years and this battery shows no signs of wearing out. It's still powering up a full and long lasting charge which is important to me because sometimes I clean near 100 beads at one sitting!
Old 2008-10-23, 9:39pm
Pyro Tyro

Default Got it!

Helllloooooo....

Went to the bank, cashed my check and headed over to Lowes (after stopping for a cheezeburger first!). They had one left of the model I wanted. It's the 7.2V cordless 7700-02. $43 with tax It comes with the cutest little tool bag!!!! (I can hear all the guys groaning. )

I would've loved the pistol grip one - but it was $30+ more than the one I bought.

I couldn't find the diamond reamer bits, but it came w/ something that worked to clean out bead poop. Tested it on a few non essential vessels. Works like a charm!!!!! I also managed to buff 80% of the scratches off my Swatch watch face.

Thanks for all the info. Happy reaming!

- Jill

Old 2008-10-29, 6:54pm
The Andrea Half

I have an ancient corded Sears Craftsman rotary tool (bought for me when I was into miniature furniture when I was fourteen years old) that I use with a flex shaft. Works wonderfully! It's a pain to take it out, set it up, and put it away again (space is tight in my kitchen so everything has to be put away), so what I *really* use are rod saw bits, cut in half (for 3/32" beads) and Paula's Bead Cleaner for 1/16" beads.

Old 2008-10-30, 1:29am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I have an electrical one with a flex shaft - bought at a jewellry supply store. My best investment ever - use it daily for both glass and silver work. the best bit about it, is the fact that it is foot controlled, which means that I can stop the bit moving without changing my grip on the glass or the tool. It had cost me about $70. And because of the sharft - no danger about water/electocution! I also have a baby one without the foot control, but that is now just my back-up.

Diana

Old 2008-10-30, 10:06am

I don't clean my beads under running water
I use a bowl--throw all the beads in the bowl--soak--pull out wet bead--dremel, dip, dremel, dip, toss in another bowl. Repeat.
Rinse.
blow out, see if I missed anything & do touch ups if necessary & rinse again.

No running water (no drain covers in my sinks--I got sick of having to vacuum beads out of the drains )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-10-30, 6:16pm
Puddy Cat Lover

I have a vario speed dremmel (plug in) that I bought years and years ago. The best thing I could have done for it was buy the drill press attachment. I'm able to leave it installed in the attachment all the time. I have a small diamond bit attached. I use a clean bowl of water under the bit. I usually don't dip the bit in the water, I just bring the bead (after soaking for a bit) up to the bit and ream, dip the bead, ream, dip the bead, ream, flip the bead, ream, yada yada till its clean and then I rinse and dry and QA etc.

Old 2008-10-31, 8:42am

Jeanette--I think you had posted that somewhere--& that's pretty much how I figured out I could use my corded dremel safely--by using a bowl!! (someday maybe I'll get the press attachment for it )
I only dip my bit right before the first bead & right after the last bead to rinse it off before I repack it in the box...unless I notice it's getting really muddy. & I turn it OFF before I dip (don't want a bath!)

Old 2008-12-09, 5:05pm

So are the bits from Art in the Round the same thing as the BeaDreamer?
I couldn't find any other bits on their webpage except the BeaDreamer.
Guess what I'm asking is: Does the BeaDreamer fit into the Dremel MiniMite?
Thanks!