Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-10-31, 11:26am
...as in.. acoustic

Default P.O.O.P. or what???

Hi everyone!

I recently got a minor torch, and this whole set up/ ignite the torch process terrifies me. Mostly only because I've heard about three different ways of doing it.

My main question is this. I've always read in books and such, to use the POOP acronym.

propane on first
oxygen on last
oxygen off first
propane off last

Does this change because I'm using an oxycon instead??

It's not that I don't trust the people who have told me how to do it- It's just that I've been told completely opposite ways to do it. Which REALLY confuses/scares me.

The main thing I've heard differences on is the propane regulator.

I was first told to adjust that to where I want it *every time I torch/every session*

But then, I was told that, once I get that where I want it- I should never have to touch it again. Ever.

The other question is the initial start up. I thought I was suppose to first turn on the oxycon to build up pressure, and open the oxygen valve at the torch. Then, turn the propane tank valve all the way open, then back 1/4 of a turn. Then, open the red valve at the torch, light it, turn back on the oxygen at the torch, adjust the flame to neutral, start melting.

Then for turn off: turn off both knobs at the torch, at pretty much the same time. Then turn off the oxycon. Then turn off the propane tank valve (leaving the regulator right where it was... not touching it at all). Then go back and bleed the lines, propane first, then oxygen.

I just want your opinions on your process. Just to make sure I learned it the right/common way.

So, A) Do I ever touch the regulator after I get it where I want it?
B) Do I use the POOP acronym? Or is it more like O.P.P.O?
and C) When bleeding the lines, do I need to do anything with the regulator first?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-31, 11:45am
honorary bead lady

There are whole threads on POOP or POPO

For welding I was taught POPO (Fuel first off and on)

SO
A) no not unless you are not torching for a long time
B) Most use POOP but for an oxy con is more like OPOOP
C) No just shut off the main valve

OH and AMANDA why are you not in the newbie gallery? OR Challenges?
Old 2009-10-31, 11:59am
...as in.. acoustic

Oh ya, one more...

Do I ever mess with the knob on the actual oxycon? Or just with the oxygen knob on the torch?

Old 2009-10-31, 12:51pm

I haven't had to adjust my oxycon once I got it where it belongs.

I would like to chime in on the opening of the propane tank. I was taught just to open mine about a quarter to half turn, so you could shut it down with one quick motion if necessary. I watch the pressure and find I have to adjust it from time to time, but mostly just leave it set.

O2 tanks much different because of the type of valve they use, but that isn't relevant for you.
Old 2009-10-31, 1:28pm
...as in.. acoustic

Ya- I wondered about that "open it ALL the way, then back 1/4 turn..." thing, because I thought- what if I DO need to shut it all down immediately? So I'll do it your way -makes me feel better about it.
Thanks so much for your help!

Old 2009-10-31, 4:21pm
uncouthful cats

One thing about oxycons - I've heard you should never shut the O2 at the torch off unless you are 1)about to turn on & light the propane 2)when you relight the propane to bleed the line after having turned it off. I've read that you don't ever need to (some say should never) shut off the O2 at the torch, but since I still go to a studio where they use tanked O2, I want to stay in the habit of turning that O2 valve off when lighting propane. BUT even after you have turned off the oxycon, you should leave the O2 valve at the torch open in case oxygen trickles out for a while. I leave the O2 on my torch open all the time unless I'm lighting propane. Oh, the O2 valve should be all the way open when you turn on the oxycon. You're not letting it (the oxycon) run to build up pressure, but to build up purity of oxygen.

I've never heard that about the propane - turn all the way on then back off 1/4 turn. I'll be interested to see what other replies you might get regarding that. I've never opened my propane all the way (eek?)

The thing I've read about adjusting the propane regulator every time is that the regulator will last longer if you do that, I forget exactly why (valve or gasket?). Most people, being basically lazy, don't. Guilty.

Congratulations on your Minor! Hot stuff!

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!