Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-16, 4:35pm

Default Cutting hot glass with scissors?

I just tried this, with miserable results. I had the gather really hot, and it seemed like the scissors chilled it too much to cut it. I wound up a trench in both sides of the gather, but almost none cut through. When I reheated and tried again, I did the same thing.

I'm sure it's user error, but I can't figure out a different way. Help?
Old 2009-02-16, 4:52pm
yukue fumei

how large is your gather? You may want to try diamond shears if the gather is thick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-16, 4:54pm
McAfee Art Glass

I found cheap dollar store type scissors with thin blades work the best for small cutting jobs. Be decisssive and do not let the blades get too hot, glass sticks to hot steel.

Old 2009-02-16, 5:03pm
crabby...who me?

I use regular scissors all the time with no problem,some gathers may take a reheating and a second try to finish the cut all the way through.
Jeff
Old 2009-02-16, 5:08pm
boro color bender

I used $1 office scissors for a long time too. Make sure you open the scissors all the way up and cut down in the guts of the blades. The tips won't cut squat.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-02-16, 5:13pm

Nagi- about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick? maybe? I flattened it out first. How thick is too thick?

Keltik- I didn't stick the glass to the scissors, though I was concerned about it.

Mr. Smiley- That might have been it. I'll have to try again next session. I thought I was in the deep part of the blades, but I may have been nervous and not gone as deep into the scissors as I think I did.
Old 2009-02-16, 5:27pm
boro color bender

Are you cutting soft glass or boro?

If you're cutting soft glass, you may be getting it too soupy and then you feel like you've got to rush and I get flustered when I try to rush. Soft glass will cut when it's soft and not soupy.

Boro stiffens up quicker when you remove it from the flame, so you have to be a bit faster... but it's not soupy, so you still have control.

Give it another go and try not to get flustered... relax and reheat if you need to. Slow and deliberate movements are best when you're getting a hot gather than close to the digits.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-02-16, 6:33pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
Nagi- about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick? maybe? I flattened it out first. How thick is too thick?

Keltik- I didn't stick the glass to the scissors, though I was concerned about it.

Mr. Smiley- That might have been it. I'll have to try again next session. I thought I was in the deep part of the blades, but I may have been nervous and not gone as deep into the scissors as I think I did.
ooh--that's thick.... but if you made it flat, you can use regular scissors or shears. (If it was a thick rod size, I'd say go with diamond shears just because it's easier and doesn't deform as much.) Even though it's thick, you should be able to cut it in one go. If you can't and make a dent the first time, heat that dent over and cut again. It should have made the glass thin enough to cut through as Jeff has said. As soon as you feel it giving resistance, stop and reheat the area and cut again.
Good luck!!

nagi

Old 2009-02-16, 6:54pm
Yeah me!

I cut blobs that are really thick when I do hearts, 1/2" to 3/4". I notice that at first that when the glass hardens a bit just give a nice firm squeeze of the scissors. It will make a sound like the glass is breaking, but it's not, just cutting.

Old 2009-02-16, 8:18pm
It's all about the color.

The one and only time i tried it, one of the scissor blades broke off and went sailing across the room.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-02-16, 9:21pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Try making it much, much thinner and cutting it.
If it works then, try incrementally thicker amounts.

I usually squish mine when it's about 1/4" thick with no problems.
I can do thicker, but I like the control I get when its thinner.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-02-16, 9:54pm
He can do the origami

I routinely cut soft glass that is up to about one inch thick or even a bit thicker. I use anything from little kindergarten safety scissors to a cheap pair of shears, nothing fancy at all. The thinner scissors do work best.

Karen has a good point about starting with thinner glass and working your way up so you can figure out control of your cut and also the heat you will need to put in your glass first.

Heat your gather well... and then probably heat it a little more than you think you may need. Decide where you are going to cut before you heat your gather so you can make your cut when the gather is fully heated and you do not have to stop and let your piece cool while you are deciding where to cut. Make ONE forceful cut.

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Otter