LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-09-27, 5:46am

Default Leaf tutorial wanted

I'd like to make some round beads with leaves on them...Does any one have any suggestions about how make some pretty autum leaves? I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Old 2006-09-29, 1:55am

O.k....maybe I don't really need a tutorial but could someone just give me a tip on how to get started? I'm making a real mess out of the whole thing...I know there is an off mandrel leaf tut but I want the leaf on the bead.

Help!!! Anybody???

Old 2006-10-03, 12:57pm
Mama said

Hi Delana!

If you search the threads in this link you will find some excellent tutorials for leaves.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/se...earchid=468518

Sorry to not be more specific with links, but I'm at work and only have a minute to respond.

Take care!

~Michelle
Old 2006-10-03, 1:02pm
Mama said

Oops! I responded too quickly without reading your post well!

Okay, I don't know of any tutorials for making round beads with leaves on them. They could be out there though.

Here's what I do. I mix opaque & transparent colors that I want to be in the leaves. I don't mix well because I want to be able to see a distinction in the colors on the leaf. I pull the glass into really thick stringers. I put a big blob of the stringer where I want the leaf to be on my round bead. I mash that on the surface and pull the edges out with a tungsten rake until it looks like a leaf. I cut a line in the middle to look like the stem. I usually keep the leaf raised on the surface, but they can be melted flat.

I'll post pics when I get home from work.

~Michelle

Last edited by Michelle Walsh; 2006-10-03 at 1:10pm.
Old 2006-10-03, 1:28pm
Shine your bright side!

For a simple round bead with a leaf hanging from it I do this:
Marver, needle nose tweezer and a plain masher.

Make a round bead and then add a glob of glass on one part of the bead.
It should look like a big dot. You can decorate this big glob dot by dipping it in frit, etc...remember to keep the whole bead and glob hot in the flame but not drippy.
Next, heat the glob up then remove from flame and mash it to make a flat pancake shape. Be careful the masher doesn't mash too close to the bead part. Reheat to keep it all hot.
Now pick up the needle nose tweezers. Get the pancake glob hot but not drippy. It should be plyable. Out of the flame, quickly cneter the tweezers and make a squeeze, not to hard, just enough to make a dent. Then heat the whole bead and pancake up again.
Next, heat to one side of the center dent until plyable and quickly tweeze in horizontal dents...3 for a small to med leaf, more for a larger. This take practice. Heat the whole thing up and then repeat on the other side of the center dent. Always remember you must keep the whole thing hot without distorting the shapes. Next, heat the lower half of the leaf part just enough where it is soft but doesn't melt the dents out. Remove from flame and quickly take your tweezer and pinch the center bottom and pull slightly...this will create the leaf point. You can flame polish everything and make sure the place where the leaf connects to the bead and the bead holes all are heated well before annealing. If you batch anneal, once the bead is warmed evenly place it immediately into a fiber blanket. Anneal when the bead is cool enough to remove from the mandrel.

It takes practice and coordination....good luck and have fun.
I have a bunch of my double round leaf beads on my website if you want to take a look but what I just described is for the single round with a leaf.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2006-10-03, 3:31pm
Embracing My Wonkiness

Do you mean something like this, Delana?

There was a book being discussed in this thread ...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=35006
I can't tell you what the text says but you can get some idea from the picture.

Lil
Old 2006-10-03, 3:43pm
Mama said

Here are a couple of pics of what I was talking about. Hope this helps.

~Michelle