No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-07-19, 8:40pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Default Twisting without the cramp's?

Hi
I would like to make moore twisties and other canes, but my thumb wrist and finger locks up on me due to tennis elbow.
I finally got some armrest's but still i can't twist off my blob of glass.
Any electrical or battery devices other than the (beadspinner?)
A little too much money for me.

Thanks
Katja
Old 2006-07-19, 11:43pm

Talking

Hi,
this is gonna be a really random first post BUT..........
I have the very same problem due to Rheumatoid arthritis in both hands wrists shoulders etc (Damn it, I have it everwhere).
Now what helped me is firstly I make cane on the end of an uncoated mandrel as shown in a tutorial by the brilliant lady who's name escapes me but who makes amazing Seahorses, Hang on I think its Kimberley?
Anyway I digress, so on an uncoated mandrel, cone shaped blob of glass etc etc.......
Now here's the helpful bit, I wrap a few elastic bands around the mandrel at the holding end rather than the buisness end, which creates a sort of grippy thicker handle bit! Works a treat!

BTW Looks like its actually my 2nd post, not my first, now when did I do that then? Baffled!
Old 2006-07-25, 6:08pm

Thank's Bubble, i guess that's what I call you lol...
I'll try it as soon as it get's cooler over here.
TaTa
Katja
Old 2006-07-25, 7:27pm

Cold water? Have to try it!
Old 2006-07-26, 9:34am
I fart diamonds

http://cgi.ebay.com/27-STAINLESS-SKE...mZ150000746023

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-26, 10:51am
Sheryll

I'm on the same wavelength as shawnette, hiya

anyway I haven't tried it but the first thing I thought of when I read this post was a lollipop twister thingy's for little kids. I've seen them at Walgreen's or Long's. It's supposed to make a lollipo more fun.

Hope you find something!
Old 2006-07-26, 8:15pm

Thanks for your support.
Katja
Old 2006-07-28, 2:47pm

There's a device called 'Pull My Stringer' which was invented by Victoria Gail. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I cannot find the link to her studio. If I am correct, she is also the creator of the Creation Station. I will continue to look for it, but if someone else can post her website, this product may be the best solution for your problem. Sorry, I am not too helpful. Sachiko L.
Old 2006-07-28, 6:55pm
Carpe beadum

The first thing I thought of was "don't eat before you twist", but then I realized you're not talking about the dance.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2006-07-28, 7:47pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Beads
There's a device called 'Pull My Stringer' which was invented by Victoria Gail. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I cannot find the link to her studio. If I am correct, she is also the creator of the Creation Station. I will continue to look for it, but if someone else can post her website, this product may be the best solution for your problem. Sorry, I am not too helpful. Sachiko L.
Yep the Pull-It (aka pull-my-stringer) it is made by Victoria, the designer of the Creation~Station. BlueMoonGlassworks, a LE advertiser, sells them.

me
Old 2006-07-29, 1:01am

No I can't do the twist never could......
But thanks for the tip.
Katja
Old 2006-07-30, 1:53pm

Hi me, thanks for posting the link to the Pull-It. I felt kinda guilty for even mentioning without where-to-get-it info. Now I can sleep well. Sachiko L.
Old 2006-07-30, 3:45pm
Knob Creek Glass

Try Bearfootart.com. The Electric mandrel spinner, and other tools are great!!
Old 2006-07-30, 5:58pm
Detail G-Mama!

Ha ha!!! That marshmellow spinner was Vicki's bribe for the Creativity Unleashed contest at the Gathering! For the Pull My Stringer you can contact Jim at Blue Moon.

Old 2006-07-31, 7:06am
Gabby's Nest Lampwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Wylder
I'm on the same wavelength as shawnette, hiya

anyway I haven't tried it but the first thing I thought of when I read this post was a lollipop twister thingy's for little kids. I've seen them at Walgreen's or Long's. It's supposed to make a lollipo more fun.

Hope you find something!
Hi,
I've been using this make-shift tool for a while and it works for me.
I used one of those handheld fan (got it for free) and removed the part with wing(?) and extended the stick-out-in-the-center from the motor part( have no idea how to explain this, see the pics below if it makes sense) using one of my ugly bead and a piece of 1/16" mandrel. Also attached the pic of twistie and bead made from one of the twisties.

Using "spin pop" is great idea too. But I will need to hide it from my kids... or myself
Kyung
Attached Images

Old 2006-07-31, 9:02am

I have the electric mandrel spinner from Bearfoot Art and it has improved my twisties from "having to buy them from someone else" to absolutely gorgeous. Because the spinner does all the work you just hold both ends you get consistent twists. It was well worth the money as I use it for making beads too.
Old 2006-07-31, 3:13pm
Spinning sand

Larryboy, that is a great idea! I have several of those little fans at home, but I don't know if they will lend themselves to making a tool like that or not. How do you use it? I mean, do you heat the end of the mandrel and stick it into your twistie blob of glass or what? I guess I mean how do you grab your bit of glass to begin your twistie?

Way to go!
Old 2006-08-01, 1:32pm
JOAT, Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passing Glass
Larryboy, that is a great idea! I have several of those little fans at home, but I don't know if they will lend themselves to making a tool like that or not. How do you use it? I mean, do you heat the end of the mandrel and stick it into your twistie blob of glass or what? I guess I mean how do you grab your bit of glass to begin your twistie?

Way to go!

Yeah,, they Passing Glass said.... How do you grab your bit of glass to begin? GREAT idea! I'm terrible at twisties!
Old 2006-08-02, 5:59am
Gabby's Nest Lampwork

I start out with Kimberly's Seahorse twisty tutorial (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3450 - such a great tutorial, by the way. Thanks Kimberly.) At #5, she uses a tweezer to pull the stringer. I simply heat up the tip of my fan-thingy red and attach that to the other end of gather. And push the button to start the fan and pull away at the same time. Takes only a second or two to pull twisty and it's so even and straight.
Kyung
Old 2006-08-02, 6:11am
Detail G-Mama!

Ok I just tried the Spin Pop with an 1/8 mandrel, it's spins but it spins kinda slow. How fast does the fan spin?

Old 2006-08-02, 6:40am
Gabby's Nest Lampwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts
Ok I just tried the Spin Pop with an 1/8 mandrel, it's spins but it spins kinda slow. How fast does the fan spin?
Too fast , forgot to mention, I kinda had to put my finger on the mandrel to slow it down and to stabilize that too.

Kyung
Old 2006-08-02, 7:03am
JOAT, Master of None

Quote:
How did the twisty turn out?
Old 2006-08-02, 7:31am
Detail G-Mama!

Opps! I didn't try the twisty yet, I just stuck a mandrel in it to see if it would spin it! I can already tell though that it will be too slow, you'll lose all your heat out of it before you get a long enough twisty!

Old 2006-08-03, 6:44pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Opps! I didn't try the twisty yet, I just stuck a mandrel in it to see if it would spin it! I can already tell though that it will be too slow, you'll lose all your heat out of it before you get a long enough twisty!
You want speed? Try a modified battery toothbrush!
Bill
Old 2006-08-10, 5:57am

I know the bead spinner is around $200 and that is a lot of money. BUT if you are having trouble with your wrist, arm etc. why don't you consider it?
I have used it and it really takes away the strain, especially when you do twistys. It might make lampworking more managable for you. I have heard of many happy people who use it.
I use it sometimes also. I recomend it to anyone who has any arm, wrist, or finger pain. It works great.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-09-20, 4:19pm
Oh No You Didn't!

I bet a foredom flex shaft or battery operated hand held dremel would work great for making twisties!
Old 2006-09-22, 3:20am
Viking Flame Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio
I bet a foredom flex shaft or battery operated hand held dremel would work great for making twisties!
I have a vague memory of seeing pictures on WC! using that technique. If I only could remember who it was. Val Cox?

Anyone?

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2006-09-22, 5:58am
The Andrea Half

My sister uses her mandrel spinner to make twisties, and it works beautifully!

Old 2006-09-30, 12:42pm

After all this time I came across my thread again and went on the ebay site that Shawnette told us about, and bought my spinner. Can't wait. I did hold the beadspinner in my hand from the creator, but 200.+ is way too much for me.

Katja
Old 2006-10-13, 1:08pm
Following my Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutti-frutti
After all this time I came across my thread again and went on the ebay site that Shawnette told us about, and bought my spinner. Can't wait. I did hold the beadspinner in my hand from the creator, but 200.+ is way too much for me.

Katja
Did it work???? Fingers are crossed ready to buy....lol

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...