Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-14, 5:55pm
Melody of Glass

Question What do you use your ISGB membership for?

I'm looking into the Individual ISGB membership and am trying to determine whether it is worthwhile for me. I don't see myself taking advantage of the insurance, car rental or reduced-rate subscriptions but there are forums and the newsletter that might be interesting. Also the tag of belonging to an organization might be helpful in terms of selling or getting work into local shops.

Wondering what all of you use your membership for and if you think it's worthwhile?

I wasn't sure quite where to place this thread so if it's in the wrong place, apologies!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-14, 8:04pm
Gentleman of Leisure

After years of looking at ISG I have found its not important to me.... Their forum is dead, and if you don't need the insurance, and most of the things they offer, and are not going to any gatherings, its pretty much a bust...

The are many that are believers and are faithful and it works for them... That is good and wonderful.... But it offers me nothing....

Now watch how much flack I get for giving my honest opinion...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-09-14, 8:49pm
Flame Dames Rule!

*** FLACK! ***

ISGB is the organization that made Glass Beadmaking in the US a recognizable artform, worthy of collecting, galleries and museums, and they continue to vigorously promote our work as an artform.

They put on a conference that's an amazing learning and networking experience with the best bead bazaar in the world and a technical vendor area that's exceptional.

They provide opportunities for members to participate in juried and non-juried exhibitions which travel to galleries and museums nationally and internationally, they produce books of these exhibitions, and arrange to highlight the work in Lammaga, the journal of the Japan Lampwork Society. They love us in Japan!

The ISGB produces a good quarterly magazine with profiles, demos, safety and teaching info, etc. If the ISGB didn't exist we wouldn't have nearly as many classes, techniques, collectors, creators of tools and equipment, networks of artists who TALK to each other and share.

All of this is ISGB fallout, and whether you agree with it or not, the truth is that all of us would not be where we are today without them. This isn't a 'what have they done for me lately' thing - this is a 'look what they've already done for me, and will continue to do into the future'.

So join already!
It's a good organization and it would be great if you all joined. The Gatherings are simply amazing!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2012-09-17 at 2:46pm.
Old 2012-09-14, 9:00pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Well said Sharon! If nothing else...the Gathering is well worth your membership, it's a gas!!
Besides...I like being able to say I'm a proud member of the ISGB.

Old 2012-09-14, 10:39pm
Professional Troublemaker

Well said, Sharon and Sheila!

Another proud member here - for ten or eleven years now. A lot has changed since I first joined, but I believe many of the changes in our beadmaking world having to do with accessibility of information, development of products and standards of instruction have been directly or indirectly influenced by the ISGB and it's members.

I do understand why membership in the ISGB might not be for everyone. It really depends what your goals are, and what you want to get out of beadmaking. If you are a happy hobbiest, say, and you're content to just putter along, simply enjoying melting glass and being able to impress your friends and family with what you made, then you may not benefit from a membership, other than getting a really nice bead making magazine in the mail every so often. (That was not meant to in any way demean those who make beads for the sheer joy of it; simply that their need won't be as great for a professional organization to belong to.)

I think the ISGB has the most to offer bead makers who want to:
1. Sell their work
2. Develop themselves both as a business and a bead maker
3. Have opportunities to take classes and seminars for their professional development.
4. Be able to interact, meet, and share resources with others real time, at Gatherings, in local & regional chapter meetings (not every state has a chapter, but we have quite a few wonderful active chapters in many places) and through connections made through the organization.
5. Enter juried competitions to get your name out there and build a portfolio of your work and your progression as a bead maker.

There's many other ways the ISGB provides value to those who join, but it's late, and my mind stopped working a few sentences back, I think, so I'll quit while I'm ahead. Let me say tho, that I absolutely value and have learned and made friends through other resources as well, ESPECIALLY LE. However there are many things the ISGB provides that other websites / venues / organizations can not, and who I am (as a beadmaker - my parents have to take responsibility for the rest!) and how far I've come and many of the close friendships I've developed have been because of my membership and participation in the ISGB. And participation is the key; so many networking, friendships and educational opportunities depend on an active, not passive role as an ISGB member.

So, hey, yeah.... Give it a try and see what you think! Particularly if you're anywhere near upstate NY - next year's Gathering will be in Rochester. (Is it July yet?)

Schermo

Old 2012-09-15, 12:09am
sorcerer

I must chip in here, this is just too much, the "I" must be removed from this organisations name as it is not international, it has never had a gathering outside the united states, and quite honestly has no relevance to anyone outside the US.
B
(thinks, I bet they remove this)

Old 2012-09-15, 12:52am
FireBeads

I've been a proud member of the SGB/ISGB for 12 years. I went to my first - and only - Gathering in 2000. It was the first time I'd seen someone make beads since my beginner class. What an awesome learning experience! Back then, the SGB was the only game in town. If you had a question, it was the place to go, the only place to go. The ISGB has given so much to the lampwork community. Without the ISGB most people here would not be making beads. I think if you're melting glass you've got them to thank and what a better way to thank them than to join and support the ISGB!

Castaway? I think the ISGB would welcome you to research and investigate the possibility of a Gathering in Australia. If you don't like it, change it!
Old 2012-09-15, 7:33am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I was a member for a while, but quit due to the high price of membership.
I really wanted to join and support them, but the price of individual
membership for someone who does not take advantage of any of their
services is astronomical. I don't pay more than $20 per year to any of
the other professional organizations I belong to, and there are many.
Even the guilds are $20 or below. $55 for a personal membership is
outrageous. Especially in these hard times.

FYI: This came up as a discussion group at a retreat I attended recently, and the
consensus all around was the same. Everyone wants to join, no one can afford to.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2012-09-15, 8:50am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
I'm looking into the Individual ISGB membership and am trying to determine whether it is worthwhile for me. I don't see myself taking advantage of the insurance, car rental or reduced-rate subscriptions but there are forums and the newsletter that might be interesting. Also the tag of belonging to an organization might be helpful in terms of selling or getting work into local shops.

Wondering what all of you use your membership for and if you think it's worthwhile?

I wasn't sure quite where to place this thread so if it's in the wrong place, apologies!
I'm not a member. Shockingly enough I'm very successful with my lampwork business without the ISGB.

Old 2012-09-15, 11:39am
Mary Lockwood

I enter juried exhibitions, get my name out there, sell my work, interact with others, publish things, teach classes and feel generally quite happy with my glass walk. I'm not an ISGB member, but that's not saying I never will be. I would like to attend a Gathering.

I do respect the trails that were blazed in part by the ISGB and its individual members, but I built my own business. I do have to agree though, I may not have come to glass as early as I did if it weren't for the ISGB's presence. Members brought glass to the forefront enough that even someone who didn't know they wanted it, noticed.

My only regret about the ISGB is the interaction on their forums when I was first starting out. It felt unfriendly, and that is probably why I'm not a member. The organization itself has only ever reached out to me in a positive manner...it was the forum activities when I was new that kept me away. I joined early on to gain full access to the site areas and then I never renewed.

Now that I'm not so green, my needs and ability to contribute have changed and ISGB may be a better fit for me now than it was 10 years ago. I honestly don't know what has changed over the last 10 years as far as forum activity goes, maybe it is gentler now. I hope so.

Rochester is pretty pretty close. That is tempting!
~~Mary

Old 2012-09-15, 12:13pm

I agree, totally, with Sharon and Schermo. The Gathering, the magazine (which is great), the chance to meet people from all over the world, and the fact that lampwork would not be what it is today without the ISGB are all things that keep me renewing my membership. It may be more expensive than some other organizations but it it well worth it for the effort put in by the volunteers and the opportunities offered.

And I think the "I" should definitely be included in ISGB. I have met and am able to see many friends from many countries. No, we probably can't afford to have a Gathering in another country. If you had any idea what it takes to put on a Gathering, you'd understand. I wish it was more affordable and convenient for those outside the USA to attend. But many do and say it is the experience of a lifetime. And many return.

I am grateful the ISGB is there for us and proud to be a member.

Old 2012-09-15, 2:41pm
Mary Lockwood

I agree that the 'I' for International should stay. There are more benefits for international members than just hosting a Gathering. I visited the ISGB site after my last post and hung around for a while catching up with the site. I can see where international members can still be active contributors and gain too. I don't think it matters where you live.

Old 2012-09-16, 12:12pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I was an ISGB member for several years when I got into glass. Then I dropped it for awhile. I rejoined to take advantage of the Gatehring being in this area this year and will probably not rejoin. I have to agree a lot with Dale. I am in and support my local ISGB chapter, Fire and Rain, all I can. I love those people and admire their work and other endevors tremendously. I don't, however, make beads so that aspect of it is errelevant to me. I gain no benefit from the ISGB but do from the Fire and Rain local group. I have to admit they have a nice quarterly magazine. Very high class and slick but again to me not very useful.

PJ
Old 2012-09-16, 7:19pm

I agree with Sharon and Schermo, and will add one othe thought. I don't belong to the ISGB for what I get out of it (and between Gatherings and exhibition opportunities, I get a fair amount), any more than I belong to the Newark Museum or the Corning Museum of Glass for what I get in return. I belong because I want the resource to exist and because by supporting it with my dollars I am helping sustain an arts organization that has little or no support outside its members. I don't want to live in a world where an arts organizations' merit is judged on the payback to its supporters. That being said, we each can't afford to support ALL worthy groups at one time, and I certainly believe in the right of each individual to make these decisions for themselves. BTW our international members probably want to keep the "I"! Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2012-09-16, 7:57pm
Ex-lurker

Ditto what everyone positive has said.

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2012-09-16, 11:29pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
I must chip in here, this is just too much, the "I" must be removed from this organisations name as it is not international, it has never had a gathering outside the united states, and quite honestly has no relevance to anyone outside the US.
B
(thinks, I bet they remove this)
well yes, they dont have them outside of the US but thats not stopping us, Australia is the biggest group outside of the US/Canada, and all up there are about 50 Australian members of a total of 107 international members, the international group is growing steadily, you gotta realise that beadmakers are pretty thin on the ground everywhere else and as such groups like the ISGB really dont exist anywhere else - dont suggest Ausglass because they pretty much treated me like the red haired cousin when i joined, pretty much not interested in beadmaking, it was all about fusing and hot shop stuff

i find it very relevant, pretty much all the things that everybody has said apply to me too, there is a ton of info and services available you just need to take advantage of them

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2012-09-16 at 11:32pm.
Old 2012-09-17, 1:22am
Mad about Glass

Even though I'm a member I have to agree with Bernie about the I for International - it should be the American Glass Bead Society. However, I joined for the The Glass Bead and I love receiving it and reading it.

[url]

Old 2012-09-17, 5:52am
Ready to hit the road

I've been a member for some years now, and I've never been to a Gathering or taken advantage of anything else ISGB offers. But I'll continue being a member as long as I make beads and can afford the dues, because 1) of being able to put the logo on my listings and 2) supporting an organization that in one way or another supports lampworking and lampworkers.

Old 2012-09-17, 6:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
I agree with Sharon and Schermo, and will add one othe thought. I don't belong to the ISGB for what I get out of it (and between Gatherings and exhibition opportunities, I get a fair amount), any more than I belong to the Newark Museum or the Corning Museum of Glass for what I get in return. I belong because I want the resource to exist and because by supporting it with my dollars I am helping sustain an arts organization that has little or no support outside its members. I don't want to live in a world where an arts organizations' merit is judged on the payback to its supporters. That being said, we each can't afford to support ALL worthy groups at one time, and I certainly believe in the right of each individual to make these decisions for themselves. BTW our international members probably want to keep the "I"! Jeri
I agree but I would like to see ISGB have a support level of membership that is $20-25 a year that only includes the newsletter. This level would not cover a gathering discount, etc. I would hope that many lampworkers would contribute so that ISGB could go on doing the promotion of lampwork beads and the many other benefits that indirectly help all of us.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2012-09-17, 10:16am
Queen Tut ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
I've been a member for some years now, and I've never been to a Gathering or taken advantage of anything else ISGB offers. But I'll continue being a member as long as I make beads and can afford the dues, because 1) of being able to put the logo on my listings and 2) supporting an organization that in one way or another supports lampworking and lampworkers.
I've been a member for 2 years and this is true for me as well. I also look forward to the quarterly magazine, very much. The forums do have some tutorials from past issues as well.

I do plan on going to a Gathering next year, so the membership is handy for that.

I would like to see the ISGB website optimized in search engines, so that it's at the top when folks search "lampworking classes". It would be much more beneficial for new or curious bead makers, and would benefit the professionals who have a higher paid membership for the listing through the ISGB. And perhaps more teaching studios would be members, because of the better exposure. Just a thought (*nudge nudge*).

Overall, I'm happy with my membership.

Old 2012-09-17, 2:07pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
I would like to see the ISGB website optimized in search engines, so that it's at the top when folks search "lampworking classes".
The issue of "lampworking classes" not showing up in a Google search is that ISGB has elected to not promote that set of words on their website. i.e. they use "education".

If interested, they could create a menu link to a section that would be updated frequently that covers lampworking classes perhaps titled "lampworking classes". And then use necessary key words to get Google's attention.

The other issue with SEO is that a website designer has no control over the search algorithms that are used and often changed. It is costly to keep a site on top of a listing - as everyone wants to be on TOP!!
Old 2012-09-18, 4:27pm
Unmedicated since '62

As a regional rep I urge all of you to go post your suggestions for improvements on the ISGB forums, changes are being made (rolling membership is an example) so you should make your voice heard

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-09-19, 7:38am
Professional Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
The issue of "lampworking classes" not showing up in a Google search is that ISGB has elected to not promote that set of words on their website. i.e. they use "education".
Choice of words may have to do with the 501C-3 designation as a not-for-profit educational arts organization. I don't know all the ins and outs of the regulations, but I know that in the past that has dictated some of the decisions the board has had to make regarding what is on our website.

Schermo

Old 2012-09-19, 7:53am

I am not a member of ISGB for what I can get out of it. I am a member for what I hope to give to it. Granted, it has not been much other than my Gathering fees and annual dues, but any day now I may break the time/space continuum and find some more time to volunteer somehow.

[And I hope that doesn't come off all sanctimonious - it is just how I feel. I learned so much from the members and the publications and the forums, etc.]
Old 2012-09-19, 10:15am
burnin' glass just becuz

As a Canadian, I can honestly say the only direct financial benefit to the ISGB membership is the discount to the Gathering since we don't get any of the other benefits available to the US members.

That said, i've been a member for three years now and attended two Gatherings (Rochester/Seattle) and for that alone, i feel it's worth maintaining the membership ongoing. Once I developed a certain level of skill and confidence in my beadmaking, it was great to get out of my own tiny local community and see what other beadmakers from around the world were doing - frankly it was a HUGE eyeopener, really helped with my own creative progression plus i've made some fabulous freinds who i now chat with regularly through Facebook.

It's definitely not cheap and definitely for everyone - but imo if you're serious about building your reputation as a professional glass beadmaker on an international (as opposed to local/hobbyist) scale, it makes sense to be part of the ISGB and to participate in the ongoing international competitions and exhibitions they run to slowly build that level of exposure and credibility as a glass bead artist. Plus this is the only international organization i know of dedicated solely to the support of our craft so for that alone i'll likely continue to support it.

In terms of int'l members not having access to the main ISGB benefits - i would agree - but there are volunteer regional coordinators for most areas of the world and if the int'l region volumes were to grow that probably would lead to the possibility of us organizing similar benefits of our own. But without the membership volumes that would make those discounts profitable for third-party suppliers though - it's hard to negotiate the incentives that would make an int'l ISGB membership more attractive - kind of a catch 22, no?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-09-21, 7:31pm

Default Membership? Maybe they don't want me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
As a regional rep I urge all of you to go post your suggestions for improvements on the ISGB forums, changes are being made (rolling membership is an example) so you should make your voice heard
What does rolling membership mean? Also, is their website having problems with the online membership registration section? I was trying to rejoin as I was hoping to attend the gathering next year, and after I sign in, it tells me I don't have access to that page. (not exactly making it easy for people to join)

Darrell
Old 2012-09-21, 7:39pm
Gentleman of Leisure

That is super secret that only VALID DUES PAYING MEMBERS CAN ACCESS......

Given time you will get access to the super secret page....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-09-21, 7:53pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgrant View Post
What does rolling membership mean? Also, is their website having problems with the online membership registration section? I was trying to rejoin as I was hoping to attend the gathering next year, and after I sign in, it tells me I don't have access to that page. (not exactly making it easy for people to join)

Darrell
Hi Darrell, rolling membership means your membership lasts one full year from the day you join instead of the old way when a membership was one calendar year from January 1 to December 31.

I believe that since ISGB started using a third party service for membership renewal (thus having the capability to offer rolling membership), you are required to have a different username and password. Perhaps your sign in information is not up to date? I can help you find that information if you PM me your last name, your old member number if you have it.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-09-21, 8:25pm
Nikki Haverstock

Since we are on the subject of log in, how do I get log in info for the ISGB forum?

Old 2012-09-21, 8:56pm
da General

Nikki - the FAQ on the website has lots of information (I volunteered to put that together a couple of years ago). I think the third Q down has the answer you seek?

http://www.isgb.org/faq.html

Hope that helps!

|
|
|
|