TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Which should I get, press or roller?
Press 9 3.20%
Roller 158 56.23%
Eyeball it, baby. 114 40.57%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-05-11, 2:14pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
I've always said, a cavity marver (any cavity marver, even a marble mold) is nothing more than a flat marver with a curve built in. It's not like just pouring hot glass into them and it forms to the shape, you need to have basic skills to use them.

-D
This I agree with 100%. That is what I've been trying to say.
Old 2013-05-11, 2:22pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsyEmporium View Post
I can eyeball it and make a round bead but I have a marble mold, if I used it I suppose the sizes of beads would be more consistent but how do I know when I have enough glass on the mandrel?
The rollers and molds can help you get consistent shapes, but getting the right amount of glass on the mandrel each time takes some practice. When you repeat the same thing over and over enough, you will "get it".

For example: when I make the traditional "donut" rounds I add one wrap at a time to the mandrel. I don't keep winding and winding all the way around until I have to burn it off. You really don't know how much glass that is going to be. One molten "drip" at a time until I get enough. To make a 12mm spacer, I use 4-5 wraps of the molten tip of an Effetre 5 or 6mm rod. If these rods are fatter, like the Uroboros rods are, it might only take 3 wraps.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-05-11 at 2:25pm.
Old 2013-05-12, 7:32am

That being said, tools can enhance your lampwork experience. I'm not just saying that because I sell the tools, but I sell the tools because that's what they did for me. I started selling when friends encouraged me to share my prototypes.

I was lampworking for many years before I 'repurposed' a marble mold, and it took the time sucking frustration of shaping away, and gave me the time and freedom to 'create, so don't discount tools, even for beginners.

I've always said, cavity marvers (and I use that term because I'd love to see a beginner marble maker make a round marble freehand) are nothing more than a flat marver with a curve built in. If you use a flat marver, why not use one with the predeterminer curve. (/soapbox)

Yes you need skills and knowledge of heat control to marver, but you also learn skill 'while using' tools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna Felkner -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-25, 7:25am

My favorite tool is the infinite rim marble mold, which I use as a roller.
Old 2013-08-25, 3:57pm
Ready to hit the road

This thread got resurrected at the perfect time! I've been getting back into making earrings with my beads, and have been frustrated that I can't use bead caps with them because of the way I make the beads (donut shape). I have been trying to make rounds, but they always end back up into donut shape by the time I get done with them. Thanks to this thread and Lisi's tut, tomorrow morning I'm heading back to the torch to try some new techniques.

Old 2013-08-25, 10:24pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Betsy, you might look at using bead aligners from Tierracast as bead caps, I love them and use them all the time. Here is how they look on some of my earrings:

You can get them from Lytha studios here:

http://www.lythastudios.com/123bead/pewter61.html

they are great with any shape bead that has a 2-3mm hole (3/32 mandrels).

They will not work with beads made on 1/16 mandrels. I have used them on beads made with 1/8 mandrels from time to time.

I use them on spacer shape, round, disk, pretty much anything.

I'm doing Heather Trimlett's challenge in the patio right now that uses Lisi's method of gravity and heat only just to see if I can do decent beads without my rollers but my go to is always Donna's rollers. I do lots of production work and really can't do without them.

Anyway, HTH!

Old 2013-08-26, 6:45am
Ready to hit the road

Thanks, Astrid! I'm going to try those.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to make those earring beads without Donna's roller and the mandrel spinner. My hand would cramp up with all the turning.

Old 2014-07-26, 5:27am
one day at a time

Pretty earrings, Astrid!

I love Tierracast. High quality findings and they stand behind their products.
Old 2014-07-27, 1:58am
Mango Beads

Not only are rollers fab for shaping but great for melting down layers too

]

Manda x
Old 2014-07-28, 10:39am
Slogan Challenged...

Hey Donna, someone promised me they would ask you at the Gathering about making beads and shaping with a roller quickly. We couldn't figure out how you made 40-45? barrel drop beads in less than an hour. I know it was single color, but still!....Any tips?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-07-28, 5:04pm

That would be this set, they aren't round so I won't say much more in this 'round' thread than they are one color and I liked the unpolished texture (ASK Silver Cinnamon) so they were a quick bead to make. When I finished the 43 beads I looked at the clock an it was less than an hour.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-08-08, 5:19am
hyperT

There is not choice for all of the above?