Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-01, 11:31pm
Naysayer

Have you asked Kathy at CIM? She will want to know and will maybe make it better.

I never ever anneal my CIM blues any higher, I think maybe you're confused? Their moonstones yes, which Halong is. I always mix CIM with other glass, I love love CIM and use it more than Italian if there is a replacement (ie. freeman for sky blue). There are issues sure, but it's mostly like I say so often, you can't mix their opals with other glass sometimes (like all opalinos).

People always post Kandice's blog, she's forever mixing CIM with other glasses. http://coloraddictionblog.blogspot.c...421-green.html - Mediterranean
..which, now I want some seeing as it was a lighter Leaky pen.
Old 2014-04-02, 12:48am
Artistically Absorbed

I also found mixing CIM to work in the case of Gellys Sty, which would not let me encase the batch I have. I mixed it with clear (It really didn't change the color much), and then I didn't have the problem anymore. It is a real bummer about your beads, they are beautiful!! I really wish 104 was a bit more consistent with compatibility. It seems like the other COEs seem to do a bit better job at it. It could be that there are less manufacturers, or the standard is higher because of fusing in some lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-04-02, 4:51pm
offically down under

Such a pity as they are stunning beads. I've had cracking problems with Atlantis over white.

Old 2014-04-03, 6:32am

I use CiM a lot, and I am one of their testers. In my experience, the only CiM colors that might need a different annealing schedule/temp are the translucent colors - their opals and moonstones.

I've never had to anneal any of their transparents or opaques any differently than any other 104 COE glass I use.

That being said, I have had issues with some of the stiffer glasses (in any brand) and Effetre white together, especially when encasing. White is really soft, and occasionally I will get one or two beads what will crack when I am encasing a stiff transparent over white. This happens less with smaller beads, and even less if there is a layer of clear on top.

My personal solution to this is to stay away from white as a base and instead use a light opaque - in the case of Mediterranean, I would use Effetre Light Sky Blue or one of the lighter CiM opaque blues.

The darker CiM transparents are sometimes stiffer than a lot of other transparent glass. Such was the case with Mediterranean. Here's my blog post about testing this color: http://coloraddictionblog.blogspot.c...421-green.html

Old 2014-04-03, 8:28am

Thanks everyone, and Kandice I do read your blog. It's great. I guess I should have thought of the using a pale color under the mediterranean. The beads weren't all that great, I chucked them but it was the first time I had so much cracking. I will keep this all in mind the next time.
Old 2014-04-03, 8:40am
Evil Glass Enabler

SOME of us thought they were beautiful! Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Thanks everyone, and Kandice I do read your blog. It's great. I guess I should have thought of the using a pale color under the mediterranean. The beads weren't all that great, I chucked them but it was the first time I had so much cracking. I will keep this all in mind the next time.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2014-04-03, 9:20am

I thought they were really pretty, too. The cracking was definitely sad - I would have been frustrated as well.

Old 2014-04-03, 3:09pm

Thank you for the kind words ladies.Maybe I'll try them again with sky blue.
Old 2014-05-20, 9:41am
Practicing perfect

Unsure if I wanted to start a new thread or continue on this one. btw...Pat those are beautiful beads, sorry they cracked.

I am having problems with Luscha Gold Melon cracking over white, most likely the same issue. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Old 2014-05-20, 9:57am

I had the same problem with leaky pen over effetre white and had to switch to cim peace as the white. In testing the marine, I put it over cim dirty martini and it looks fine.
Laurie
Attached Images

Old 2014-05-20, 10:22am
Practicing perfect

Is CIM Peace stiffer than Effetre white?

I ordered CIM Peace yesterday and Lauscha white today. I will also try putting down a layer of clear then sandwich the white see what happens.

Old 2014-05-20, 2:04pm

I have not tried Lauscha white, but CIM peace is stiffer than effetre white.

Mimi
Old 2014-05-20, 6:31pm

For sure let us know how the Cim white works for you.
Old 2014-05-21, 1:18am
one day at a time

Many of you are not going to agree with what I have to say, but....

To be on the safe side, never mix Effetre or Vetrofond with CiM. Pat, you should try encasing this same transparent over CiM Peace and see what happens. If it cracks again, then the COE of the Mediterranean must be way off.

Example: in the past, long before CiM was available, remember how many problems there were with using certain Lauscha colors with Effete/Vetrofond?? And I don't mean just the clear. I am talking about some of Lauscha's colors too.

My latest discovery, and thank God I didn't have the beads up for sale. Lauscha's opaque turquoise with Effetre turquoise pastel = Crack City.
Old 2014-05-21, 6:39am

Most Lauscha cracking problems are solved by reheating the entire bead before it goes into the annealer and using their annealing schedule. It is on my website and on Lauscha Lady's website and maybe a few others. My site is down right now but if you need it please email me. Carol Anne Beckman gave this to us when she was working at the factory. They anneal a lot differently there. She was able to recreate a lot of mixes that were cracking for other people and get them to work with this schedule. YMMV. I myself tend to keep colors grouped by manufacturer and try to use them that way.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-05-23, 12:12am
Naysayer

Do you know CIM is new, but not that new. They came out with 104 what, 2007ish? I think if it were that much of an issue to mix it with other glass there would be more threads. Just throwing an opposing opinion out there.

Never had an issue yet other than cranberry. By issue I mean consistent.
Old 2014-05-23, 5:23am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Do you know CIM is new, but not that new. They came out with 104 what, 2007ish? I think if it were that much of an issue to mix it with other glass there would be more threads. Just throwing an opposing opinion out there.

Never had an issue yet other than cranberry. By issue I mean consistent.
I have read more than enough threads to convince me there is a problem. But the real problem is that all of these threads/comments should be in one place. I think I will start a thread for that purpose.
Old 2014-05-28, 1:12pm

I tried CIM Tuscan over CIM Sprout and it cracked also.
Old 2014-05-31, 7:55am
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Queen View Post
Is CIM Peace stiffer than Effetre white?

I ordered CIM Peace yesterday and Lauscha white today. I will also try putting down a layer of clear then sandwich the white see what happens.
I posted about it on the other thread here:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=223499&page=2

Good luck! I think the gold melon pink is less compatible than most, though!

-Patti
Old 2014-05-31, 11:05pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I have read more than enough threads to convince me there is a problem. But the real problem is that all of these threads/comments should be in one place. I think I will start a thread for that purpose.
To me the difference is, one person posting about cracks vs. a few. Example, seems most of the threads I see are using opals *wrong, vs. more issues like encasing cranberry... or encasing anything with Lauscha like in the 'old days' haha. You'll see a lot of replies of, 'never an issue here', or misinfo like 'you have to anneal their blues higher'.

I just think some should be more than one instance before putting into a list, I have probably more CIM than effetre at this point (except for the ones Pat mentions lol).