No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-17, 7:37am
Learning...

Question Brass Rods/Mandrel 5mm

There may be mention of this question I have in here somewhere...but I'm not able to find anything. My question is this: I went to the welders the other day and bought a 5mm brass rod. That's all they had in that size and I actually can't remember what that comes to in inches. But anyway, they were clueless as to whether heat would transfer through this rod when being placed into a flame. Soooo...I actually have 2 questions for you "experienced" glass/flame/rod users out there. Is a 5mm rod/mandrel large enough for the Pandora/Troll etc. bead holes? And...will a copper rod burn the *&% out of my hand or will it be okay? If neither are in my favor, can anyone tell me exactly what I need to make a bead to fit these bracelets and where to get it? Thanks so much in advance! Teresa
Old 2007-11-17, 9:42am
Gay rights R human rights

it will burn the crap out of your hand....brass conducts heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2007-11-17, 10:28am
crabby...who me?

Teresa,copper or brass will conduct heat and burn your hand.Ive tried them both.
Jeff
Old 2007-11-17, 10:53am
Learning...

Talking well alrighty then...

Thanks for the replies! I WON'T be using this rod today or EVER! Think I'll call around to hardware stores before venturing out there and buring gas! Thanks again everyone!
Old 2007-11-17, 11:26am
Learning...

Wow...that is an excellent tip! I'm sure my husband could figure out a way to grind it into a few tools for me. I actually ended up having to buy 2 rods because it was sold by the pound.
Old 2007-11-17, 1:06pm

I had a hard time with hardware stores, but scored at aircraft parts houses. They carry stainless steel hollow tubing in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 in. They usually sell it by the foot, and you can have it cut to whatever length you like. The cuts weren't clean so I had to do a bit of grinding/polishing when I got them home (didn't take much). They are perfect for blowpipes and BHBs.
Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-17, 3:16pm
I need more boro stuff

Are you going to use pre-made rivet? If you are then you need 1/4" size mandrels.

If no pre-made rivets, then 5mm mandrels will do fine.

If you are going to make your own lining, you need the silver tube for lining minimum 4.3mm ID, because the screw bit on Pandora/Biagi is about 4.2mm. I'm not sure if you can find silver tube in US with 4.3mm ID and 5mm OD or not, but for us in Australia they discontinued this size of tube so we have to get 4.3mm ID and 6mm OD (which is too thick for my liking).

Old 2007-11-17, 7:24pm
Learning...

I'm not going to use rivits...not ready for that. Not even sure if I'll be able to handle a mandrel that thick! But I very much appreciate all the information you all have given to me regarding this venture. I want to visit Tin City tomorrow...hopefully I'll be able to find what I'm look for there? We shall see. Why did they discontinue that size tube? That's not fair!
Old 2007-11-17, 9:11pm

If you're not going to silver line the beads, you can use a 5/32" or 3/16" mandrel for the large hole beads--I got nice ones from Arrow Springs. They're not hollow, so they don't get hot when you make the beads (and I work boro!).
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2007-11-18, 3:23pm
Learning...

Anita...You are outstanding! Thanks so much for this information. I'm placing an order now! I'll get one of each and see which works better for me. And I took a peek at your beads...B E A U T I F U L!!!!! I want to be like you when I grow up! Teehee! Thank you Thank you! Teresa
Old 2007-11-18, 4:53pm
Pyromaniac in training

My husband has all the RC airplane supplies I need for my torching.
We both have expensive hobbies
But, at least we can share some tools.
Old 2007-11-18, 5:36pm

Teresa, you are too sweet!
Newlondon, my hubby also is a radio control airplane nut. I've never shared his tools, do tell!! (I'm not sure what things would be good to "borrow," hehehe...)
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2007-11-18, 8:07pm
Spoiled

I bought some larger size stainless steel tubing from the autoparts store. It's used for brake lines and comes in 36" lengths.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2007-11-19, 1:57pm
Pyromaniac in training

Default TOOLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotflashwanda View Post
Teresa, you are too sweet!
Newlondon, my hubby also is a radio control airplane nut. I've never shared his tools, do tell!! (I'm not sure what things would be good to "borrow," hehehe...)
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Lets see.....
My husband has a large supply of stainless steel operating room tools that he got at an RC show many years ago. I have found these wonderful. He thinks he has missplaced them.

Don't tell him but I have taken some of the steel that he uses for the axels on his smaller planes, they make great mandrels.

Some of the hollow pipe, He had a stand for his small screw drivers works great for the mandrels

Plus he has some sheet steel that he has made some rod racks for me.

If I find any others I will let you know
Old 2007-11-19, 2:16pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

online sorce of welding (tig) rod best for mandrels would be 316L or 308L

http://www.welding-direct.com

follow the links for tig rod

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Last edited by Mark Parkinson; 2007-11-19 at 2:19pm.
Old 2007-11-19, 4:39pm

Thanks for the tips, Newlondon, I will take a quick look-see around my hubby's workroom and maybe find some of those tools to borrow!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2007-11-19, 5:20pm
birdergirl ~o~

Meadowsky is selling some 5/32 mandrels in the garage sale!~I've bought her mandrels before and they are nicely ground at the tips.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-11-21, 4:40pm
Learning...

Do you know where one would buy rivets to fit inside the 3/16" hole for these type of beads? Also, how do you get them in there? The 5mm (3/16) mandrel works perfect for making these large hole beads btw! Thanks for all the tips!
Old 2007-11-29, 7:53pm

Just to back up the conversation a bit....I have bought stainless steel rods and tubing from Metals Supermarket in Marietta, Georgia. There are other metal shops that will cut and grind (sometimes) what you need. Welding stores had TIG rod for smaller sized mandrels, but not for larger.

They did not have a minimum order, and I bought 2 twelve foot long 3/8 inch steel pipes and cut them at home for various items (mandrels, large glass support, etc.). I used a metal blades in my saw to cut them to size and used my grinding wheel to smooth out. I've also bought 1/2 hollow pipe too.

Just another resource!
Kristy N,
Old 2007-11-29, 9:46pm

I got brake line tubing and cut it myself. Big ol' long pieces, 6 feet ish, probably. The guy at the auto parts store said it came in different diameters, and that he could find me some in quite a few of them, in stock. He thought it was cool

I found out about the brake line thing here, reading.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-11-29, 10:07pm

the nice thing about brass is its so easy to shape. it does heat up fast, but you can make a handle or find a pin vise to hold the tool. I love brass, because its easy to cold hammer out in to any shape I want or shape on a grinder.
Murf

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2007-12-02, 11:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotty dots View Post
I don't think brass is a metal I'd be introducing to the flame as it has lead in it.

Might keep it in some cold water and use to assist with shaping though.
Brass is an alloy consisting mainly of Copper and Zinc. Other materials may be added to effect the qualities of the alloy, but I have never heard of Lead being used in Brass.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978