LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-09-12, 7:27pm

Default Anybody have Quilting/Torching/Jewelry Making Studio?

Hi
I quilt, torch and make jewelry - is it possible to do all of this in one studio? I don't want to give up my quilting ...we used to live on a farm...one spare bedroom I used to make quilts and make jewelry...I did my torch work in a small building on the propery - and by january I could not go out there because it was too cold...even with a fire in the wood stove...Last Oct we purchased a cottage on Lake Erie...In Dec we sold the farm and by February moved into the cottage - in April we started our reno's...a 3 room addition and extended the kitchen and raised the roof...we are now getting ready to start the other end of the cottage - which will be a 2 car garage with a studio at one end (on the lake side) seperated with my own entrance and heated...my DH said that my studio will be 12X12but I don't think that is is going to be big enough...
I took out the measuring tape and marked out the measurements and it seems too small...
I need space for:
3 large tables
cutting fabric
sewing machine setup for sewing
storing fabric (I have about 8 xtra lrg bins of fabric)
storage for all of my quilting tools,gadgets,threads
ironing board

2 kilns one for annealing and one for fusing
torch space
glass grinder
beadliner
glass storage - rods, sheets, frit, etc
sink with running water
all of my silversmithing tools

jewelry making area
storage for beads, findings, wire
tools

and a lot of counter workspace

I know I am asking for a lot - that is why I want to find somebody that does it all and has it all setup in one space...so I can get some ideas...
I think that 12 X 16 would probably be pretty good...or if somebody is doing it all in a smaller space that I can get ideas from...

any ideas would be appreciated...
thank you
Paulette
Old 2009-09-12, 9:00pm
Unmedicated since '62

i think there's a few people who do all three, for some reason they go together

when i move into my new house i'm going to try to combine them all, the only problem is space and cleanliness (for the quilting)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-09-12, 9:19pm

I would want to torch in a separate space from the other activities. I admit I am a little paranoid about cotton lint and flammability and all the cotton dust on the rods (meaning a little dusting while you are torching). In reality, it could probably be done easiliy in a 12 x 16 space with the torch at one end and the sewing machine at the other. It may also be possible to segregate the 'torching' section of a 12 x12 room effectively, but I suspect that would really cut into your 'quilting' space.

But what the heck do I know? I don't have a dedicated sewing space, I use the dining room table to cut fabric (and to make jewelry - my supplies are in cabinet behind me and in a large portable set of 3" plastic drawers to my left) and the spare bedroom to sew in. My quilt stash and quilting supplies have completely overwhelmed the spare bedroom.

I guess my point is the I think of torching and some jewelry making (if you solder or do any metalwork) as 'dirty' occupations and quilting and bead stringing as 'clean'. All applications involve an incredibly large amount of space for storage and ease of use.
Old 2009-09-13, 2:52am
The Brighter the Better!

If you are going to combine all three, I think that you are going to have to keep it all really clean!!! Best to store your glass in a cupboard away from the dust and perhaps cover your clean areas with protective cloths to keep the glass and bead release dust away.At least quilting is family friendly and can be done in the house without fuss, so a bed room or spare room can easily be used. Glass work alas is not all that friendly, so best done in a dedicated space or garage. Keep up all you loving creative work and I look forward to seeing what you come up with

Jenny

Old 2009-09-13, 6:49am

I have a 12x16 building. My glass stuff is in there only. I tried sewing on one end( I make 18" doll clothes for American Girl Doll type dolls) but the glass stuff was to messy for all my beautiful fabric. So I had to turn an extra bedroom into my sewing space. My 12x16 is perfect for glass cause I now use it for silverwork too.No matter how clean the 12x16 was , there was always dust from the bead release.I just didn't want it to ruin my fabric and thread, and all the accessories for the dolls that I have to go with the outfits I make.
Janet
Old 2009-09-13, 1:05pm
~ toes in the sand.

Here is a visual reference for explaining why 12x12ft is truly not large enough for the space you need. I do lampwork, jewelry, ceramics and fusing. The ceramics and sheet glass are still in the house in a guest room with one of the kilns. Along with my collection of frit for mixing blends which I'd much rather have in the studio.

This only houses lampwork and jewelry supplies with every nook full in a
10X12 space. If I had it to do over? I'd go 12x20 without hesitation.

The pictures scan the room with me standing just inside the door. Be sure to note storage under the 5' long tables. My space is PACKED. It works for me, but it sounds as though you need more room for your fabric arts. The tables in the first and last photos touch the front wall.
(so much for fitting a sink in one corner)

Hope this helps. Its much easier and more cost efficient to do it right the first time if possible.

ETA: there is about a 4x4 open floor space area in the center.

Last edited by Juls; 2009-09-13 at 1:12pm.
Old 2009-09-14, 10:43am

I want to thank everybody that shared with me their ideas and pics...this helped me put things into proper perspective...
oh I think that I will have to do something about the dirt and dust for sure! especially with the silversmithing and all the filing and other dirty tasks...uhm well I guess I need 2 studios - one for clean work - quilting and jewelry making and torching (my new one) and one for my dirty work (share hubbies) for my silversmithing...
Old 2009-09-14, 11:32am
Who me?

I have my computer, DH desk, a sofa, a recliner, a huge drawing board for jewelry, my torch , kiln and all my glass (including stained glass) and other crafts in one room that is 14 x 21.

In a spare bedroom I have my sewing machine, a serger and a soon to be industrial sewing machine with a 6 foot table for work space.

I shudder at the thought of combining them for me. I'd be overwhelmed and wouldn't get anything done.
Old 2009-09-15, 8:06am

Tami - you are right! a jewler's bench - duh! i can't believe I did not think of that! though I am not a wood worker the plan that you attached seems quite simple...and the plexy glass is a great idea too...yes i do alot of sawing-grinding and buffing...so that would help keep the debris in a contained area...for my glass storage I will be using shelves with dividers...also the non dedicated table is a good idea...i usually spread out my stuff when I am working on several things at a time...i hate the thought of splitting up my work space into 2 different locations...I am use to having a large space for quilting but hey I just end up spread out my stuff all the time -now I think I will have to be a bit more conservative with the space...i am just thankful that I am getting a "studio" I will also be creative when it comes to storage...
thank you
Old 2009-09-15, 8:12am

Wow Swamper - 14 X 21 - that would be heaven for me! that is a lot of space! lucky you...
I know what you mean about having it all in one room - but I like to keep all of my stuff together...and if i have some designated areas of certain tasks then that sorta keeps things organized...but it can get overwhelming especially if I don't keep things "clean" and leave everything out - but I will try to keep things in order...plus I will have a nice view - my space will be facing Lake Erie (my backyard)...
thank you for the input...
Old 2009-10-04, 10:18am

I do quilting/sewing and lampwork(been doing these for about 30 years) but when I set up my lampworking.....I wanted to keep them separate. I have my sewing setup in my spare bedroom and my torch and glass are on our enclosed porch until my studio is finished. My husband was firechief of manufacturing plant before he was caught up in a layoff and he would not even let me think of combining the two. He said it would be too dangerous and that keeping them separate was better.
In a way, it is good this way. Because when I am sewing......I concentrate on my sewing and when I am working on my beads.......well I am not worrying about sewing, I am in bead heaven.
Hope this helps a little. It's has worked great this way.

maryc
Old 2009-10-08, 9:39am
Glass junkie

Absolutely should not put quilting in same room as torches! Fire hazard, not to mention they get soot and stuff on em
Old 2009-10-16, 6:30pm

Yep, can definately be done. I do stained glass, fused glass, lampwork, jewelry, silversmithing, sewing, knitting.

BUT ... gotta be organized ... fabrics, threads, ribbons, yarn, etc. labelled and stored in rubbermaid containers in the closet (so flying glass etc. won't catch the flamibles on fire).

Workbenches with shelves above and below. Raw glass has old sheets covering the front so when it's time to work with other things it's not getting dirty and dusty. Everything else (including tools) labelled and in plastic storage containers under and/or above the appropriate work bench.

Basically, I have workbenches on 3 walls, pegboard above 1 workbench and shelves above the others. Ok, books are another story ... they don't fit in my studio. I am a glass, books, tool, fabric and wool junkie.

OOOPS ... almost forgot the paints - they are kept in a drawer (ok, maybe it's 2 drawers - 1 for glass paints and 1 for acrylic paints) and the scrapbooking supplies are in the other drawers. I use old bedroom dressers inside the closet to store these things.

Old 2009-11-08, 3:22pm
Ad astra per aspera

I don't quilt but I do sewing for regular clothes and costuming. Most of it is all in the same room. I don't do much fusing, but I do PMC, and I use one kiln for both (plus occasional fusing). I have a digital controller with programs for each set up.

My studio is a 2nd floor open room (the typical "bonus room"). There are pix in the 'show your studio' thread, but I've changed things since then. I moved the sofabed (yes, this is also our guest room) to the wall perpendicular to where it is in the photos, and set up my sewing table where the sofa was (the wall opposite my torch). The sewing table is actually a flat interior door. We put several coats of urethane on it to seal it and make it nice and smooth. There's plenty of space for the sewing machine and the sometimes-several-yards of fabric I wrestle around for medieval costumes.

My torching bench is an adjustable computer desk that sits partway inside a niche, and my kiln sits on a heavy duty metal shop cart that sits perpendicular to the bench. I wanted it to be mobile so I can twist is around if the sofa bed is opened.

In the second niche is a wonderful piece of furniture I found in a Mexican import store. It's intended to be a fold away computer desk. It has several cubbies and shelves in it, which is where I store my glass and my beads. I work at the folding desk when I'm assembling jewelry.

The only things I don't do in this room are my silversmithing (that stuff is down in the garage) and the bead cleaning. I do that in my laundry room where the utility sink is.

Old 2009-11-08, 3:44pm
Pyromaniac in training

Default Keeping busy

I have two spaces.
Daughters old bedroom for jewelry,scrapbooking, weaving( floor loom), knitting and all the yarn, sewing, needle punch and books for all.
Then in the basement I have the glass works area, torch kiln GLASS.
I did think about putting it all in one room but there is just to much stuff.
I usually have three projects (more) under way at one time.

Leslie
Old 2009-11-18, 10:07pm

I have a 10 by 20 outbuilding for jewelry, photography, fusing and lampworking (plus this computer is in it too). Fiber arts I keep in the house (small) and find I rarely touch these days although my background was as a fashion designer.

I would have double the space if I could!

Old 2009-11-19, 4:40am

I have an enclosed verandah as my studio.

I have the lampwork and jewellery benches up one end under the windows and the other end is my fabric storage and bookshelves.

I tend to sew on the dining table as I can watch my daughter at the same time that way. She doesn't come into the studio due to small beads and glass splinters.
Old 2009-11-19, 5:19am
GlassDocNC

There's crafting/art stuff all over my house. But like attracts like, and each area has a predominance of one type of interest; lampworking, fusing, stained glass, jewelry, painting/pastels, knitting/crocheting, quilting, cross stitch, photography... and scattered througout are books. I don't recommend my model.
Old 2011-02-17, 1:53pm

Default Update

Well it has been one year and two months - since I first posted my question about a Quilting and Lampworking combined studio space.....and......finally the structure is built and I have moved in....I will post pictures this week end - but I ended up with a 12 X 22 foot space - I have a 12 foot workbench at one end - with large storage space under it - which is where I have my fabrics in plastic bins on one side and stuff on the other side....I have glass storage - a small table with my photo cube for photographing my pieces - we had a large work table built 3 X 5 with gate legs which I can swing up and extend that table to be 5 X 5 I have my pfaff on it on one side, my computer is also in there - my kiln - I ordered a jewelers bench - which won't arrive for another month (backordered) - my DH built me shelves all over the place for magazines and storage - the only thing I do not have done yet is the ventilation system - so I have not torched yet - but I have done silversmithing and just a wee bit of soldering....I am not sure how to tackle the ventilation - it has to accommodate both the lampwork and soldering - space. I WILL NOT torch until I have that done - I am too scared. Anyway there are plenty of other projects that I can work on - about 5 quilts to finish and jewelry to put together...I have also been commissioned to design a website for a state of the art recycling plant that is opening in April - but I am anxious to get the vent stuff in - So - my point of all of this blabbery is to say that we have created a space for both the lampworking, fusing, silversmithing and the quilting....again I will post pics this weekend - I have already taken the pictures - just need to message them and post them...
Thanks for listening/reading to me.
Best to all,
Paulette
Old 2011-02-17, 4:21pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollie View Post
I have a 12x16 building. My glass stuff is in there only. I tried sewing on one end( I make 18" doll clothes for American Girl Doll type dolls) but the glass stuff was to messy for all my beautiful fabric. So I had to turn an extra bedroom into my sewing space. My 12x16 is perfect for glass cause I now use it for silverwork too.No matter how clean the 12x16 was , there was always dust from the bead release.I just didn't want it to ruin my fabric and thread, and all the accessories for the dolls that I have to go with the outfits I make.
Janet
This is me! I quilt and do doll clothes (16" to 18" fashion dolls) and do the torching/jewelry/metalsmithing thang. I have a 12' x 16' with everything non-fabric but all my sewing/quilting still goes on in the house. I'm also a bit paranoid about flammable cottons/batting/etc being around the flame, plus there's all the cotton lint that gets on the glass and in the frit.

Old 2011-02-19, 10:18am

Default pictures of my studio

As promised here are some pics...now take note the torch/oxy con is NOT hooked up yet - as I do not have my ventilation system setup yet - so no torching until I do...I am going to find someone that is creative to make up something that it customized - as it need to fit on the right hand side of my work bench - also...DH is going to cover my workbench with Stainless steal - right now I have a couple of tiles I solder on....anyway - here are the pics...
Attached Images

Last edited by precious baubles; 2011-02-19 at 10:19am. Reason: add more pics
Old 2011-02-19, 10:35am

Default couple of more pics

some are of the view I have - looking out onto Lake Erie...
there is one picture where you see some tools hanging from a peg board with a small wicker table under it...that is the future site for my jewelers bench - I ordered it and will be here in March...this space is warm and cozy - and is not attached to our house - It is an addition to my husband's shop - his side is not heated yet - but will be soon - he is working on it as I am typing this...In the future we will be adding a sink (hopefully this spring)...so we do need to do more but in the meantime - it is extremely workable...
My husband - did not spare anything for my studio space...he truly put his heart and soul into this...what a guy!
Attached Images

Old 2011-02-19, 10:56am
I'm kinda biz-EE

THAT is a gorgeous studio!

Old 2011-02-19, 11:34am

Default Hi Alb6094

Thank you...hey i noticed in your profile that your birthday is aug 16...mine is the 17th! I am an avid reader as well - but I cheat - I download audio books from the library - to my ipod touch and I have the books read to me...I am currently reading the book about Walt Disney -
What are you currently working on? I just wanted to say hi...
Paulette
Old 2011-02-20, 11:08am
Salt Box Beads

I have three studios. Sort of. I wish had one building to house it all together in but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Juls, your place is really REALLY nice, and I am just a little jealous..LOL

In a spare bedroom in the house I have the computer, all of my jewelry supplies, the jewelry workbench area, the 'store', the files, most of the books and the photo set up.

Studio two is set up in the garage where I have the metalsmithing bench, the workbench for the acid etching area, my power saws/ tools for metal, my upright air compressor which is 220 and that is only in the garage, and my sandblasting cabinet with the vacuum exhaust. I also do most of the lapidary out in the garage because most of that equipment is there and the sinks are there near the washer and dryer.

All of my glass storage shelves are in the garage right now.

The third studio will be for the lampworking. A tuff shed from Home Depot. I hope to have it purchased and built by summer. My lampworking Bench is set up in the kitchen temporarily for now and the exhaust system is also up and running out a kitchen window.

So three separate areas. It may be condensed a little more depending on how much I can fit into the 10x12 shed. I would like to keep it cute with fun decorating but I think it will more than likely be a real workshop and look more like a woodshop than a cute studio..

We do what we gotta do......
Old 2011-02-20, 2:07pm

Sometimes it is not bad to have seperate work areas - I tend to be more focused that way...in my studio - I am bouncing around a little bit - but perhaps it is because it is so new...hopefully the ants in my pants will settle down...since I am quilting as well - I need to be very cautious of the dirt - thank you for your input Lorrain
Old 2011-02-20, 3:21pm
Salt Box Beads

"hopefully the ants in my pants will settle down" Thank-you for giving a positive outlook on my three spread out areas.