LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-11, 6:17am

I do like CiM twilight quite a bit. The CiM clear, I have to agree, although I have used the clear stringer successfully for some itty-bitty implosions.

I hate Effetre sunset, but the one bead I have made with it always gets a ton of attention ( though no purchasers yet). If I hadn't received it free, I wouldn't have it. Also hate vetrofond swamp moss, cosmic storm, apricot jam, and candy corn, dh terra 2, and Effetre ivory alabastro.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2012-12-11 at 6:32am.
Old 2012-12-11, 7:10am
Jacqueline Parkes

My attitude to the supposed fugly colors has changed. I now view them as an opportunity for growth. I ask myself this question "how can I bring out the hidden beauty?" Then I begin to go through different techniques. Then I try layering and mixing colors. Then if everything is still full of ugliness, I give up.

I do admit some colors just need to go away. Effetre purples and CIM poi, umm yukk. I do remember seeing Kevan's goddess with Poi and it was beautiful but other than that, I can easily live without that color and do not save a space on my shelf for it.

Btw, vetro cosmic storm is absolutely gorgeous if you work it properly. It likes to have ridges and works beautifully in sculptured work.

Old 2012-12-11, 9:30am
I'm a lilac!

I love Effetre purples! All of them. The violet is a fantastic base for frit, and the transparent amethysts are absolutely gorgeous squeezed with silver foil and twistie on them, or as a base for fine Raku frit, or with other silver glass on them.

Old 2012-12-11, 9:36am

All I ever get from cosmic storm is grey/tan with no sparkles.

From a pink rod with lots of sparkles, that's pretty disappointing to me.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-12-11, 9:44am
Queen of the milo field

A while back I decided to try wasabi - just because, well I had some. So Something had to be done. I combined it in various ways and it just absolutely loves corals. Which I also have a pile of in its many variations. As combo stringer on copper green it's wonderful. It melts like butter and is fairly forgiving. I actually came to really like it. To the point of buying some more.

I've come to dislike a lot of pinks. But do like most of CiM ones.

dj
Old 2012-12-11, 10:06am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I love Effetre purples! All of them. The violet is a fantastic base for frit, and the transparent amethysts are absolutely gorgeous squeezed with silver foil and twistie on them, or as a base for fine Raku frit, or with other silver glass on them.
I like the transparents. Is your addy in RAOK? If not pm me and I'll send you a butt load of pastel purples.

~

Old 2012-12-11, 10:11am

There really aren't that many colors I dislike.
Vetro Yellow Ice is one of them. Everyone says it's such a great base for silver colors...the boat sailed without me on that one. To me it's bland and yucky, maybe it's just how I work it.
If there is a color I don't like I slap some silver foil and some frit on it. Most everything will look good dressed up. ELO is a good example. IMO that's a weird butt ugly glass by itself.

I also like many of the colors you guys seem to hate. Effetre New Violet, Sage, Avocado, Cosmic Storm, Green ocher (aka wasabi)...I have so much of that it's embarrassing. lol

Old 2012-12-11, 10:37am
Jacqueline Parkes

I think you have just overworked it is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlilly1 View Post
All I ever get from cosmic storm is grey/tan with no sparkles.

From a pink rod with lots of sparkles, that's pretty disappointing to me.

Old 2012-12-11, 2:28pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I like the transparents. Is your addy in RAOK? If not pm me and I'll send you a butt load of pastel purples.
It is... OMG seriously? I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER (as if I don't already). I go through rafts of that stuff!

Old 2012-12-11, 4:32pm
sunscreen me baby

I'll send it tomorrow. I pulled out a bunch and I'm afraid some is mixed together. I bought a few people out over the years and I don't always get it as organized one would like.

~

Old 2012-12-11, 4:49pm

If you're into animal print beads you have to have avocado or sage to make "alligator" beads.
I too can't get Vanilla Ice to do a thing and in fact it usually boils into oblivion. Not liking Twilight too much either.
Most of the others mentioned I haven't played with.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2012-12-12, 5:32am

There are not many Vetro odds that I like. If I wanted to swirl a couple colors together, I could just do that myself, couldn't I? Same with Effetre cool colors, but I do like some of them, ie; Fossil. =)

Old 2012-12-12, 12:49pm

If anyone has any Vanilla Ice they want to get rid of and is happy to ship to Europe, can you pm me and let me know? I LOVE that stuff and will happily pay the going rate x

Old 2012-12-12, 2:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Moss Agate. Yuck. A muddy black, if that is at all possible. I'm giving mine to Eileen LOL maybe it will speak to her, cause it just mumbles to me.

Alli
I like moss agate, it's one of those colours you have to swirl it up in the rod to get the 'agate' effect to come through, before you make your bead with it.

It's nice to make little 'pebbles' to sit a sculptural frog on. Same with all those vetrofond odds, jungle twilight, moss agate, avocado marble etc.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2012-12-12, 4:11pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

I love Wasabi! I use a lot of Sage green (but I call it tan...) I also go through many pounds of New Violet every year - Sandstone too, but everybody likes that one, right? But I digress.

The color I which give me the "most opportunity for growth" is CiM Mink. I haven't been able to make myself use it other than once. It looks like something dead and slimy, kind of like the long-dead snake my dog rolled in recently. That's just not the inspiration that is helpful; just looking at it reminds me of The Incident.

--
--
--

Old 2012-12-12, 7:11pm
Melody of Glass

Effetre tiger eye. I was excited about this colour until I used it. Made a tornado bead and mashed it which quite exaggerated the baby poop colour. Ugh.

I think we should have a secret santa ugly exchange. The goal is to out-ugly everyone else with the glass you send off.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-12, 7:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
The ugliest color ever made was Bullseye Superman.
Word.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-12-12, 7:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
The ugliest color ever made was Bullseye Superman.
Amen. I am SO glad I didn't get any. I read the description and said "huh?" "No way"
Old 2012-12-12, 8:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I bought <gag> pounds of it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-12-12, 8:26pm
Formerly FishBulb

I have a few rods of Superman. I don't mind that one. I've never made anything decent with it, mind you, but I still don't mind it!

I'm not up on any of the new colours so I can't complain about any of them. I did mention in the last "fugly glass" thread that I couldn't stand the Vetrofond colour that had translucent yellow encasing a core of black, Swamp Vomit or some such name.

I agree with Rose about CIM Mink. What is that? I grew up in an area populated by more slugs per square mile than people, and translucent brown things remind me of that. Yech. They have so many great colours, but that one's a miss, at least for me.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-12-12, 8:31pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I agree on the mink. Also, naming it mink just made it worse. It should have been named slug.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-12-12, 9:11pm

Moss agate's nice, avocado marble reacts beautifully with SIS. I have a pound of it for that very reason. Nice curdles.

Mink's good as an encasing colour when making shades of brown.

Ghee is awful. It always turns yucky brown, no matter how much or how little I work it. I really wanted it to be yellow... Ironically, I did use that one for the body of a snail in the last you pick exchange.

Facebook:

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2012-12-12 at 9:13pm.
Old 2012-12-12, 9:38pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I cannot describe all the ways in which I loathe Calico. I bought a pound of the stuff when it first came out and stubbornly went through the entire pound trying to do something with it. Nope.

I think this glass was largely responsible for my almost total defection to 96. It's the only positive out of the whole mess.

Old 2012-12-12, 10:07pm
I like to melt things

Omg, I can't imagine switching to another COE for almost any reason, Calico notwithstanding. I am too in love with 104 colours, reactions and working properties.

I like Mink, but I had trouble with it being brittle because either I didn't anneal it hot enough or something happened with the kiln at the studio I was working at at the time. That sort of killed it for me in spite of how cool the reactions were. I remember being sort of sad about it, so I may give it another shot.

I can find something to love about just about every vetrofond colour, with only a very few exceptions.

I am about to test Ghee and was all set to like it. I hope it's not as bad as all that!

-
-
Old 2012-12-12, 10:10pm
Lampworkaholic!

I love Ghee. I love that it can be so reactive and turn all golden caramel. I think you will like it Melanie.

I have to agree on Mink, and Gooseberry was quite disappointing, so pretty in the rod but it went all muddy on me.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-12-13, 7:04am
sunscreen me baby

I like gooseberry, it's gorgeous etched.

Superman..... yah, it's way up there in the ugly list. I got a pound and the only saving grace is about half of the rods worked up into a deep streaky red. I got lucky with either the front and back of that batch, lol.

Mink is great in hair cane. I sell made to order flower discs and mink is one of the colors. I have sold one set in the last 3 years, lol and she asked for them to be etched. It helps, kind of.

~

Old 2012-12-13, 7:13am
Jacqueline Parkes

I discovered the beauty of Ghee this year! I just love it but only when I work it long to bring out the beautiful colors.

Old 2012-12-13, 11:10am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Mink does reactions?

perhaps I should rethink, er, take the growth opportunity...

ETA
Dang, Melanie... I just looked at your blog and the Mink beads are beautiful.

--
--
--

Last edited by rosemarie23; 2012-12-13 at 11:13am.
Old 2012-12-13, 1:54pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie23 View Post
ETA
Dang, Melanie... I just looked at your blog and the Mink beads are beautiful.
Thanks, Rosemarie! I made those beads three years ago -- holy crap, where does time go? I hate having all my newbie beads up on my blog, and yet I like being able to look back at them

My favourite reaction from Mink has to be what it does with silver. The blue/green is so very pretty.

-
-
Old 2012-12-14, 8:44am

Right up there with Superman is a color by Effetere. I don't have the # at the moment.
But its black center with yellow outside like a bumblebee. When mixed and put on a bead it's pretty disgusting.