Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2013-05-09, 4:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Nikki, oooh, that's interesting! I'd say on the first tut-style one, the silver didn't have breathing room before melting - you're actually very close on the second one! I do like the last two also! The purple turning green on the middle ones is weird. LOL
Tell me more on not enough breathing room - did I burnish it down too much? Should it be burnished just on the bead, not on the frit?

And yeah, the middle results are shown just because they were SO far from where it was supposed to be.

Thanks, Amy - I like those, too. A bit less frit would have let it spread out more - and it looked like I barely put any on!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2013-05-09, 5:06pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Tell me more on not enough breathing room - did I burnish it down too much? Should it be burnished just on the bead, not on the frit?
The silver should have some air between the frit and the base glass down the middle. On the sides, it should be more clingy to the side of the bead. In the tut, on page 7, you can see the marvering isn't too tight - or smooth. The silver should burn off in some areas and not in others - as seen on page 8. It should stick to some of the frit but not all. Clear as mud right?

Old 2013-05-09, 5:07pm

Quote:
The silver should have some air between the frit and the base glass down the middle. On the sides, it should be more clingy to the side of the bead. In the tut, on page 7, you can see the marvering isn't too tight - or smooth. The silver should burn off in some areas and not in others - as seen on page 8. It should stick to some of the frit but not all. Clear as mud right?
Yeah, actually! I burnished it within an inch of its life - too much. Thanks!

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2013-05-10, 6:16am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Tool Sale Alert!

The brass shaper I use in my tutorial is on sale at Frantz Art Glass for 50% off! That's a great deal!

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=5274

Old 2013-05-10, 8:03am

Quote:
Tool Sale Alert!

The brass shaper I use in my tutorial is on sale at Frantz Art Glass for 50% off! That's a great deal!

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=5274
Thanks.. got one.. and a bunch more UGH! LOL
Old 2013-05-10, 8:10am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherri View Post
Thanks.. got one.. and a bunch more UGH! LOL
Well sorry about that but the brass shaper can be used for so many things - you're going to love experimenting with it!

Old 2013-05-10, 11:07am

Default No worries

Actually was perfect timing and thanks for letting me know. I was gong to order more glass and it worked out great. I was teasing of course.

Also, I found some z-99 and It is more powder than frit, the vendor told me but decided to give it a try. I got it yesterday, YIPPIE, so I took off work early just so I could come home and play a little bit. My first try at the tutorial is going to have to be batched annealed, but crossing my fingers so far so good.

I can't do photographs till I get back to work, but I am patiently waiting for the beadies to cool.. My kind of tutorial!

Will let you know.

Cherri

Last edited by Cherri; 2013-05-10 at 11:09am.
Old 2013-05-10, 11:13am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Oh, I'd love to see what the powder does...have never tried it... probably a whole different look. I'm glad the tut is inspiring people to play!

Old 2013-05-10, 11:15am

Quote:
Oh, I'd love to see what the powder does...have never tried it... probably a whole different look. I'm glad the tut is inspiring people to play!

It does have a bit of tiny chunks in it.. I went for it anyway!.. LOL

Ok, took a look at them and wellllll..They are certainly different.
Cherri

Last edited by Cherri; 2013-05-10 at 3:43pm.
Old 2013-05-12, 8:42am
what's a senior moment ?

I just tried out the z99 powder and from what I could tell, it didn't work. It was just powder, no chips. Will take pics in the morning of what I did make today. Tried a few things so hopefully some will turn out.

Old 2013-05-12, 9:06am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I would imagine you'd have to put on a lot of powder and no, it probably wouldn't look like the Gardens beads...but try a thick coating of powder...might get something reminiscent of stone with that. I often put on a thick coat of enamel over a bead to get a different visual texture with silver.

Old 2013-05-12, 4:35pm
Storm Queen

I have pictures! Of course I veered off course a little and put my own spin on it. Also, these are so much cooler in person....especially this first one.

This is basically the tutorial recipe but minus the first ingredient and reversing the order of the other ingredients. Plus I encased it.

<I LOVE it>

These are super cool too. Same as above but I used dark ivory as a base. At first when the ivory turned black I thought "big mistake" then I just went with it and it's super cool! I think the second one got heated twice before encasing so some of the frit got sucked into the ivory.

Not only did I get those beads made (and more of them) but the tutorial inspired me to get out some other frit and play.

Oh....I did make a really pretty one like the last two except I didn't encase it. I broke it to pieces coring it so I'll try again.

Old 2013-05-12, 4:48pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Amy - WOW I had no idea you could even encase it! That's so wonderful! I LOVE the new designs...the last two remind me of nebulae and the first one is soothing... it reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it.

Old 2013-05-12, 4:56pm
Storm Queen

If you want to keep the frit lavender, you have to encase it really cool. In other words, let your gather of clear cool so it's not glowing anymore but is still soft. Touch it on the bead and pull to make a tube of clear and then just lay that on top of your bead as you turn it. Then you can push it to the sides. That first one I think I encased with the clear hot but I do like it with that combo because the frit edges turned peach.

Old 2013-05-12, 11:33pm

Amy, your variation is lovely! I have to wait a bit to try the tutorial for myself but I've ordered the supplies I need, and I'm moving my studio to where I'm living so it won't be long. I hope to be able to come up with my own spin on Amber's beads.

Old 2013-05-13, 1:24pm
what's a senior moment ?

Those are great Amy !

Here's mine and they might appeal to some but I'm not quite sure what to think. lol ! Lots of mud. These are etched. No matter how slow or cool I worked anything, I got these results. At least with the bigger lentil I didn't get the mud. Because of the larger size frit, the silver stuck to the top of the frit on the lentil. And the Gaffer frit, not a bit of luck with that one. lol ! Oh well, I'll keep trying.

Left to right:
pressed round: opal yellow with z99 powder
Small Barrel: opal yellow with z99 size 1 frit
Large round: copper green with Gaffer Royal purple size 1 or ) depending on whom you talk to.
Tube: copper green with z850 - size 0 frit
Donut: copper green with z99 size 1 frit
large barrel: copper green with z99 frit size 1

This big lentil bead is opal yellow with z99 size 1 frit
Not etched. I rather like how this one turned out. Both sides.
14x31mm !

Old 2013-05-13, 1:31pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Debbie, you did manage to get quite a bit of purple though, which is good!! There's always going to be some rusty tones as the silver interacts with the frit. One thing I did notice was lots of enamel on these. I use the enamel quite sparingly... like with these Opal Gardens beads:

It's really just a light dusting down the middle of the bead, as seen on page 3 of the tut, last photo. It never goes to the edge of the bead as I like to see the base color come through. Try less enamel and see what happens with the frit. With the silver, it looks like you're getting good coverage on some but not on others. Are they shaped before adding the silver?

Old 2013-05-13, 1:42pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Here's a few more pics so you all can see that I do get the orangey/rust tones in my beads also...

Opal Yellow pair in the front here:

Old 2013-05-13, 2:16pm

Just want to say that you Amber are a class act!!!
Old 2013-05-13, 3:23pm
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks for the help Amber. The picture you mention on page 3 looks to me like the bead is covered entirely with the enamel but that's how my mind works. lol ! Will try it the way it should be next time.
I don't mind some of the browns and tans. More purple needs to show though.
Yes, I shaped them first then the silver is added and as needed a final shaping.
Maybe I should let the glass droop a little bit before the final shaping. Will try that next time.
Thanks again Amber.

Old 2013-05-13, 3:50pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Re: page 3 pic, maybe it's your monitor It's hard to take pics at the right exact moment but yeah, no enamel on the bead holes and just a light dusting. I really do like the color you got with the thicker enamel. I'd buy the beads in a heartbeat if I was a designer!

Old 2013-05-13, 3:50pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoelker View Post
Just want to say that you Amber are a class act!!!
Well I don't know about that but thank you!

Old 2013-05-13, 4:41pm
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Re: page 3 pic, maybe it's your monitor It's hard to take pics at the right exact moment but yeah, no enamel on the bead holes and just a light dusting. I really do like the color you got with the thicker enamel. I'd buy the beads in a heartbeat if I was a designer!
Thanks Amber, you're very kind to say that.

Last edited by dla; 2013-05-13 at 7:41pm.
Old 2013-05-13, 8:19pm

I was cleaning up my Deviant Art page and found this set. Different colors, no enamel. I made it back in 2011. I just thought it be cool to show a different color combo. I don't know why I didn't keep making these!

Old 2013-05-13, 8:20pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

They're beautiful, Cheryl! On a HotHead?

Old 2013-05-13, 10:30pm

Yes Amber. I'm one of the HH family! I had forgotten about these. I made some that weren't etched as well and they are the ones I keep remembering and wanting to make more of. Now I'll do both! This is Val Cox Pink Lipstick over Moretti white with silver foil.

Last edited by cherylsart; 2013-05-13 at 10:31pm. Reason: added content
Old 2013-05-14, 12:34pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Thanks for sharing, Cheryl! Don't you love the different looks you can get with etching vs. glossy?

Old 2013-05-14, 3:36pm

I do! Here is the set that I didn't etch. I called it Pink Leopard.

Old 2013-05-14, 3:38pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Ooooh, gorgeous, Cheryl!!!! I never thought of using white as base...

Old 2013-05-16, 7:11am

Sorry for the awful picture ...group shot

Second image close up the ones in the middle have been etched the ones on the outer ring are left un-etched.

Seems the ones that look fairly rusty are the ones I used the z-99 powder, I did get some purple from some of the larger bits in it. Still cool looking though.

The others I played with.. Used opal yellow base, petroleum green, copper green, trans med blue, trans med green and some unknown reds and trans amber. I also used different frits. My fav is the purple base which I believe is in the upper left outer ring.

Thanks Amber these are fun, fun to do. Can't wait till you come up with some more fun stuff for us HH users.
Cherri

Tags
hot head tut, hothead friendly, hothead tutorial, lampwork tutorial, lily pad gardens, naos glass, success!