Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2014-03-26, 6:24am

Default How to handle a HOT HEAD?

I have a hot head that I want to take to occasional shows, I use MAP gas with it, but I can barely melt soft glass with it. Also, it makes light colored glass dirty looking. What am I doing wrong, or is this all I can get it to do? I knopwthat some of you have used this torch successfully. HELP!! Please!
Old 2014-03-26, 7:49am
Gentleman of Leisure

If it makes glass dirty and you have not enough heat with HH its probably where you are working in flame and how you have flame adjusted...

Ideally HH should be able to adjust so you have a sharp pencil point of light blue flame in main flame cone, but most new HH 's have poor fuel control so do best you can with flame adjustment... Big bushy out of control flame is not your friend...

Next thing is where you are working glass in flame, if you are to close into flame you are getting a lot of unburned carbons in your flame and they are sticking to your glass... Try moving out in flame a bit more, best zone is usually 2 to 3 inches from metal tip of burner right where you should have the bright blue pencil point flame.... There is where combustion is most complete (cleanest) and flame as at it hottest...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-03-27, 10:39am
addicted to dichro

Generally you want to work with the torch turned down nearly as far as it will go without going out.

Old 2014-03-27, 11:10am

For safety sake, are you sure you want to take a torch to a show? I am telling you that people are almost as stupid as they are curious. Look into Insurance before you decide to do this, as well as planning to block off a safe area so folks don't singe their eyebrows- or worse.

Additionally, if you're torching outside, the sun is going to make the flame difficult to see. If you're indoors, you have tank issues.... are you on canisters or are you planning to use a larger bbq type tank? Again, check on insurance before you do this.

Don't forget to get clearance from the Fire Dept., as well.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-03-29, 6:09am

I plan to work outside under a canopy, and I will make sure that I have the area blocked to keep people a safe distance. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 2014-03-31, 9:58am

I saw someone do a demo with a hot head at a show and they used plexiglass on 3 sides so viewers could not get burned. Worked great!

and also ......
Old 2014-04-23, 5:01am

So one response said turn down as far as you can....another response says not enough fuel....am I reading this right?
Old 2014-04-23, 7:58am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittyditty View Post
So one response said turn down as far as you can....another response says not enough fuel....am I reading this right?
Actually neither.... You have to adjust flame for its optimum shape and heat, and then find best working positions....

Turning down flame as low as it will go just makes a cooler flame.... Not enough fuel makes a oxidizing (or neutral) flame as HH always seem to be fuel rich.....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...c.php?f=12&t=7

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal