Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-03-22, 7:16am

OK newbies where are you?? we need some more newbie pictures!! What are people trying out?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-22, 8:27am
Bliss Junkie

been working on marbles for the marble exchange, gotta send some out now, i guess.....

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-03-22, 8:15pm

Shawn those look great!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-22, 8:32pm
Bliss Junkie

the implosion i boiled the color... dont like the bubbles....

but three of them are off to new homes, headed out for the marble exchange, so i hope the new owners like em, 'cause i sure do... i'll miss them

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-03-23, 8:42am

A couple of marbles from me:

Old 2008-03-23, 8:51am

Jodi...WOW...you no longer qualify as a newbie marble maker

Old 2008-03-23, 9:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare TX View Post
Jodi...WOW...you no longer qualify as a newbie marble maker
Kare I was thinking that about all you guys!

Heidi - I love your arrowheads and the ruffled beads are so fun!

Michelle - your frogs are so darned cute!

Jodi - wow!

Crazycat - yummy pendant!

Old 2008-03-23, 5:54pm
Spoiled

I've had some boro sitting around forever but just finally took my first boro class last weekend. It was with Brent, Mr. Smiley, and wow was it an amazing class. Here's a pendant I made a few days ago using some of what I learned.
Attached Images

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-03-23, 5:59pm

Maggie is hosting a beads of courage challenge over on Wet Canvas, it is open to soft and hard glass.
Here is the link
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485453

It is a great cause. Don't forget we have a butterfly tut in the tut thread. Hope you'll stop in and see what they are up to.

Old 2008-03-23, 6:00pm

Aimee-beautiful!!! wow!!

Old 2008-03-23, 6:12pm

Gorgeous Aimee!

Old 2008-03-23, 8:50pm

here is my first batch for BOC.
Attached Images

Old 2008-03-24, 10:06am

So many people have posted incredible pix that I'm just going to say that they are all awsome! The colors you guys are getting blow my mind, and I'd love more tips on how to get them. Keeping it hot isn't always possible... especially in a marble, which is what's boggling me atm.

I took John Kobuki's class Sat, and here are some of my marbles using what I learned (and I was getting flat mush before I took the class). He is incredible. Just incredible. I think everyone who likes glass will save thousands of dollars in wasted time, glass and headache, just by taking his class. I did, and it was the best money I have EVER spent so far in glassmaking. Grant you, my marbles aren't perfect, but boy did I come a long long way.
Attached Images

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-03-24, 3:51pm

Kare that blue butterfly is gorgeous!

Helen - your marbles are really pretty! I would love to take a class with John Kobuki!

Old 2008-03-24, 5:32pm

Helen, Great job, you are so lucky to be able to take a class with him!!

Thanks..had fun with the butterflies

Old 2008-03-27, 12:48am
See my quote!!

Aimee, that flower is gorgeous.
Helen, ooh you're so lucky. My dream one day is to take a class with him. Love the marbles.
Kare, woohoo. As always your colours are beautiful and those butterflies are precious.
Jodi, WOW!!
Shawn, love the effects you got going there.

I had some fun playing with starfish yesterday.

till later

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-03-27, 7:27pm

love the starfish Michelle!!!

Old 2008-03-29, 10:15pm

just a few things I played with today
Attached Images

Old 2008-03-30, 8:27am

Well I can't post on WC right now so you guys are stuck with me posting here

leaves in blues and blown pitcher from NS plum kush and GA extreme passion
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-02, 1:55pm

Wow... beautiful starfish! And I still love how you get those colors Kare!! Just beautiful!

I'm working on sculptures too, but as of yet, they're still pretty rough. Getting better tho!

This is my 2nd lizard on a 'rock'. I added some leaves (colormax green, which cracks like crazy, but is the color of fine jadeite jade) and a bug for him to look at, because once again, eyes were wonky. The other one with the ladybug is me getting rid of my terrible eye murrini, they aren't very good, but look neat in the marble.

Also, I just made my favorite marble to date... a hybrid daylily! I did get a lot of bubbles in it, but that's because of the white I used as a 'background'. It really does look fabulous in person tho!

The cabochon is a reworked ugly marble. It came out... insanely cool looking! The bubbles look like eyeballs. I can't explain that.

The last is an organic focal I tried... it's probably not very practical, as it weighs as much as a ROCK, like 2 or 3 oz, but it came out neat.
Attached Images

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-02, 2:04pm

More pix!! I tried a bunch of different things last nite.

I did a boro 'cage'... ugh... tried 3 of them, and this was the best effort... these are tough.

My first totally wired bracelet! Earrings from random beads.

The jug had a dicro 'scarf'... but I cracked it getting it off the mandrel . The jug looks nice anyway tho.
Attached Images

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-02, 5:35pm

Helen, wow you have been busy!!! I LOVE the big focal! Your sculpture work and implosions are really comming along great.

Here is a sunflower and ring set
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-02, 6:44pm

Well, I finally got it in gear and started playing with boro again when a traveling boro box I'd forgotten about showed up on my door. I've got a long way to go but at least I'm finally getting a little bit of color out of the boro.
My first attempt at sculpting a flower

A bunch of Pandora/Biagi bracelet beads

Old 2008-04-02, 7:22pm

Carol, glad you're joining us in the newbie thread. Good job on your first flower, Love the beads!!
Hope we see some more postings

Old 2008-04-02, 11:11pm

Pretty beads carol! Sculpting is a pain, but it's fun to do!!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-03, 5:37pm

Future wine stopper.

Old 2008-04-04, 2:34am
glass-a-delic

might be a silly question but how are you going to turn it into a wine stopper? Im just a newbie...

Old 2008-04-04, 12:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by voic View Post
might be a silly question but how are you going to turn it into a wine stopper? Im just a newbie...
No worries, I'm just a newbie as well

My current method of making wine stoppers is to make a marble, flatten one side and then glue it to a stopper that looks like this:

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the two actually combined. Guess I should try and take pictures of the finished product before it goes out the door to a new owner.
Old 2008-04-04, 3:14pm
glass-a-delic

well, i heard that this kind of stooper tends to leave some kind of deposits on the bottle if it stays there for a while.. But then again, a lot of people are using this kind of stopper... I also found a great tutorial by hotglass about winestoppers. U should check it out. here's the link:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UsmpIWiXlVo

I like it because there's no metal involved so it shouldnt leave no deposits.

Old 2008-04-04, 3:19pm

Hey Jodi - is that the TAG Blizzard in the future wine-stopper? Or the Talc?