Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2008-02-20, 10:18pm
Enjoying Life!

Default Need help with Mega Minor Set Up

I somehow lost the thread I was typing, so if this is a duplicate, I'm sorry.

I'm planning on upgrading to a Mega Minor from a HH. I've always found this forum to be very helpful and knowledgeble and I would appreciate any advice based on your experiences.

If I tap into our NG, the line would be very long, at least 40 feet with a couple of 90 degree turns. Is this too long? Or would it be better to just use bottled propane? I know the psi is higher with propane, but I've read that this torch will work on NG at the lower pressures. And then there's the oxygen... Someone on a Mega Minor and a 5LPM oxycon & NG told me she wished she had more oxy. So, should I go with an 8LPM/15PSI machine (the M15 from Oxygen Unlimited), or two Invacare Mobilaire V's which are 5LPM/6psi?

What would be the best way to set up the Mega Minor to get the best out of it?
Thanks for any help you can give me!
Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-02-20, 10:30pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLou View Post
I somehow lost the thread I was typing, so if this is a duplicate, I'm sorry.

I'm planning on upgrading to a Mega Minor from a HH. I've always found this forum to be very helpful and knowledgeble and I would appreciate any advice based on your experiences.

If I tap into our NG, the line would be very long, at least 40 feet with a couple of 90 degree turns. Is this too long? Or would it be better to just use bottled propane? I know the psi is higher with propane, but I've read that this torch will work on NG at the lower pressures. And then there's the oxygen... Someone on a Mega Minor and a 5LPM oxycon & NG told me she wished she had more oxy. So, should I go with an 8LPM/15PSI machine (the M15 from Oxygen Unlimited), or two Invacare Mobilaire V's which are 5LPM/6psi?

What would be the best way to set up the Mega Minor to get the best out of it?
Thanks for any help you can give me!
Laura
For the natural gas part, if you use metallic piping and if its at least 1/2 inch inside diameter (to get close to torch-then welding type hose) it should not be a problem. Be sure to put gas approved shut off valve at end of metallic piping.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-02-21, 8:27am
Button Queen

I use NG for mine. I love it. No tanks to deal with. And since I'm in the house, that's a BIG plus. I didn't want to have to pipe in the propane. We're on a small city lot, so there's really no good spot for a propane tank anyway.

I have probably a 20' run at least for mine, with many 90's. The only drawback is that when I start up it can take a few seconds to pull the NG through the line initially. Once it's going though - no problem.