Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-02-19, 9:08pm

Question Will this work?

I've been doing quite a bit of boro figurines lately. Now I want to assemble a sculpture piece. My question is in attaching to the base. Everything is clear boro, at least to start with. The base completed the annealing phase of a kilnform process this morning. It is approx 3" x 6" x 3/4" with a domed top. I need to attach 3 each 1/4 to 3/8" tubular stems to the base. I don't have a hand held torch and know a "little torch" should do the job. But that takes $. I have a press-to-lite torch I can get hold of. If I run it on propane or mapp will it give me enough heat to bond my pieces. I intend to have the base on a hot plate to prevent any breakage from the torch. Has anyone attempted anything like this and what are chances of it working?

Help Please!

Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bob Torbett; 2008-02-20 at 11:28am.
Old 2008-02-20, 5:52pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Prest-o-lite torch is going to be equal to a undernourished hot head... If its a true Prest-o-lite torch it is a acetylene/air torch....

You would probably be better to consider something like a "Little Torch" (or work alike) and get some "Y" connectors and connect into your regular fuel/oxy lines...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-02-20, 6:27pm
No Problem!

A "Little Torch" isn't really all that when it comes to glass, more of a jewelers tool if you ask me. I would recommend a National 3A hand torch is cheap and versatile, and can be used as a bench torch also with the cheap stand and huge range of available tips that are available. I have one and that's exactly what I would use for the application you're talking about. I know you want to finish the project but I wouldn't try it with a prest-o-lite. I would use UV glue if possible before I would choose any sort of fuel/air torch. It wouldn't put out the heat you need for nice neat full-seals.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-02-20, 8:01pm

Thanks Dale and Beau. I have thought of the National 3A as a back up. The cost is'nt all that great and I could still use it for other projects. I can't remember what fitting the prest-o-lite torch uses. If it is a standard acetylene fitting it would work with propane. But as you said, propane doesn't get that hot and mapp is only about 200 degrees hotter. My other alternative is to get an used or even a new oxy acetylene set and run on propane. The main thing there would to be sure the fuel gas line is grade T hose. Any other suggestions??

Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!