Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-02-19, 3:27pm
Noobie

Default Torch set up

I am trying to get my torch all set up..so far I have had no problems w/ connecting the concentrtor and the propane hoses..but the hoses will not fit onto my torch..I have an 8M national...are these supposed to be really tight? or do I need to get different hoses? The hoses came w/ the concetrator and the person who sold it to me had a betta and was told the hoses are universal and should fit any torch..the hoses are cut at the end that would go into the torch and I have little metal rings to tighten (c-clamps?) the hoses onto the torch, but the hoses are too small to fit over the torch fittings.
Old 2008-02-19, 5:43pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Odd...... National 8M should have threaded fittings on torch body unless somebody has changed them out to barbed fittings.......

Hose should have fittings on ends like pictured below that screw on to torch...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-02-19, 6:03pm
Noobie

The hose ends doesnt have the fittings on it..it appears that they are just cut off...would I be able to go to a welding store and get the fittings to fit on the hose ends or just look inot a new hose system alltogether?

When I was sent the concentrator I did not know that I would be getting the hoses..I had ordered hoses from abg imagary...but they said that the hose ends were cut and I would need clamps to clamp them on..

National gave me a quote of 170 dollars for the hoses to get set up..which seemed really unreasonable to me.
Old 2008-02-19, 6:09pm
Safety ALWAYS

You will need the following items from your welding shop:

Assuming you have 1/4" T grade hose, you will need two (2) Western Part # 17 (hose barb) (if you have 5/16 hose (not likely), it is part # 216) (if you have 3/8 hose, it is part # 20)

You will need one (1) Western #7 Oxygen Nut and one (1) Western # 8 Fuel Gas Nut.

You will also need hose clamps, I prefer seeing people not use the rotary clamp type, instead, see if they have the Oetiker twin ear hose clamps. These can be tightened to the hose using a pair of end nippers or a large diagonal cutter.

The information can be found here: http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/20...ding-fittings/

That being said...National torches are notorious oxygen hogs, and I'm not sure a concentrator is going to work with that particular torch.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2008-02-19, 6:21pm
Noobie

I hope the concentrator works..I bought an M15 and was told that this conc. will make the torch sing...I guess I will find out soon enough huh...thanks very much...im printing this all out to bring in to the welding place.
Thank You!
Old 2008-02-19, 8:32pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You can just go by local welding supply and have them just install new threaded ends on your hoses and you don't have to chase down all the parts...

You oxy concentrator should be fine if you are using a a SM7 or SM 5 tip.... It will not have enough capacity to use with the SM21 tip...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-02-19 at 8:34pm.