Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-10, 6:05pm

Question Problems with encasing sculpted items

Hi everyone!
I am trying to incorporate a number of previously sculpted items into a single encased pendant but, I am running into the same problems regardless of what I try.
Problems:
1) When I encase each sculpted item, I end up with a thin visible boundary line at the interface between the sculpted item and the encasing clear (Most likely I am trapping a thin layer of air at the interfaces). I have found that the amount of heat required to remove the line ( make the line coalesce into an air bubble?) is excessive, leading to distortion and movement of the sculpted item.
2) I often have difficulties in blending layers of encasing clear, especially when I am trying to fill crevices between the sculped items. What I see is a line between the layers of clear (trapped air?). Again, in order to get rid of these lines, I need to apply too much heat and I end up with distorsion and movement of the sculpted items.
3) I would like the sculpted items to stay where I place them. Currently, they move as I melt-in the encasing clear.

Any advice as to how I may be able to solve these problems?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 2008-04-13, 7:24am

did you try a stump sucker, works much better in soft glass than boro, hard to not have air but possible, its a matter of preheating the pieces, raging heat on the blob you add to encase. what kind of sculptures are you trying to encase? and into what final shape?
good luck!
ro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-04-13, 4:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post
did you try a stump sucker, works much better in soft glass than boro, hard to not have air but possible, its a matter of preheating the pieces, raging heat on the blob you add to encase. what kind of sculptures are you trying to encase? and into what final shape?
good luck!
ro
In one case, I am trying to encase small implosions.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 2008-04-14, 7:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginol View Post
In one case, I am trying to encase small implosions.

Thank you for your reply.
Also, make sure your implosions are squeaky clean. You can't have touched them with your bare hands even once or it will show.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.