Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-14, 7:12pm

Default Who ships the fastest

Hi,

I have real problems buying lampworking supplies, and getting them to ship and arrive in a decent amount of time. Glass blowing supplies, on the other hand, I can get shipped out to me same day or next day . Why is this ? And can anyone recommend someone who ships the day of ( or day after ) the day I place my order??

Thank you!
Old 2008-04-14, 7:14pm

Well, it is hard to pack a box and do the shipping label when you are holding a bong in your other hand......just kidding.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-14, 7:24pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-04-14, 8:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Well, it is hard to pack a box and do the shipping label when you are holding a bong in your other hand......just kidding.

There might be a lot of truth to that one!!

This is a strange question. I haven't had any of them take very long to ship.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-14, 8:59pm
Hummel factory reject

Why do you need glass instantaneously?

Old 2008-04-14, 9:04pm

Maybe he/she just thought he ordered since he had the pipe in the other hand!

Just kidding by the way. Why does it take so long to get to you?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-14, 10:53pm
Corgi Cult Member

Mountain Glass Arts: If you order by 1:30 pm EST, they will ship the same day. I'd call that pretty fast. Great customer service too.

Erik at Vapor Glass is another vendor I've had great luck with. Not sure what his shipping policy is, but if you give him a call and tell him you are hell bent on having it yesterday, who knows, he's a pretty helpful guy.

Old 2008-04-14, 10:59pm

Vapor Glass, Generations Glass, Frantz Art Glass, and ABR (I called him in person to place the order) are all fast shippers (order left within 24 hours from ordering). Winship not so bad (shipped within 48 hours from ordering). I bought my torch from Flamedame, and it went out within a few hours of ordering. My kiln came from Clay King and it shipped within 1 hour of ordering.

I've had pretty good experiences with most of the vendors I've dealt with actually, and I'd be willing to order from all the above again.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-15, 10:28am

OMG you got your kiln shipped in 1 hour? He/she's a God!!! lolol It took me 6 or so months for my first one!
Not telling the vendor since I love them!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-15, 11:31am

Heidi, I called in the order and told them I wasn't placing it if it couldn't be shipped that day... there were 4 other suppliers that had them in stock. They said 1 hour, and that's what they did.

There have been a few items I had to wait a long time for... I think the easiest is to make sure something is IN STOCK before buying it, there's nothing I have to have anymore, so if it's not in stock, I don't need it.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Last edited by Hels; 2008-04-15 at 11:33am.
Old 2008-04-15, 11:49am

I usually ship the same day. So, depending on the time of day when a customer places an order, I've had orders that have shipped within an hour of the order being placed.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-04-15, 12:42pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

You don't list WHERE you are located. That can make a huge difference
in the time it takes to get stuff.

And I'm loving my Malcolm. He got me a book that I desperately needed in no time flat .

Honestly - except for when little things like hurricanes and major snowstorms
hit my suppliers, I get pretty good service from practically all the dealers.
Even the ones who keep bongs in the back rooms...(you know who you are...).

To tell the truth - I DON'T know if it IS the bong factor - but I get better service
any say of the week from my boro suppliers than I do from my soft glass suppliers.
Go figure. Guess you have more energy when you're living on pizza...

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-04-15, 1:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
You don't list WHERE you are located. That can make a huge difference
in the time it takes to get stuff.

And I'm loving my Malcolm. He got me a book that I desperately needed in no time flat .

Honestly - except for when little things like hurricanes and major snowstorms
hit my suppliers, I get pretty good service from practically all the dealers.
Even the ones who keep bongs in the back rooms...(you know who you are...).

To tell the truth - I DON'T know if it IS the bong factor - but I get better service
any say of the week from my boro suppliers than I do from my soft glass suppliers.
Go figure. Guess you have more energy when you're living on pizza...
Pizza and Bongs? Wher're they at?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-15, 1:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
you're killin' me. haven't they come out with a hands-free wireless bong yet? everything else seems to be hands-free nowadays
Old 2008-04-15, 1:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Mountain Glass Arts: If you order by 1:30 pm EST, they will ship the same day. I'd call that pretty fast. Great customer service too.

Erik at Vapor Glass is another vendor I've had great luck with. Not sure what his shipping policy is, but if you give him a call and tell him you are hell bent on having it yesterday, who knows, he's a pretty helpful guy.
ok that is what I am talking about. All my glass blowing suppliers have the same policy. ty so much for posting.

and fyi: I have always ordered in-state so that the shipping would be faster, but when that didn't work I tried out of state and that was worse.
Old 2008-04-15, 2:37pm

Try calling in person and telling them how BADLY you need the item... most vendors are very very receptive to desperate customers.

And I just broke down and ordered some tools from Malcolm since he reminded me... that sound you hear is the sucking vaccume leaving my credit card on a near daily basis because despite all my best efforts, I keep buying MORE and MORE and MORE glass stuff... sigh.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-15, 11:10pm
Corgi Cult Member

Dang Helen, I wanna come play at your house with all your new toys!

Old 2008-04-16, 12:22am

I've had good luck with both Winship and generations glass. both seem to ship my orders out the same day I call them in.

Rob.
Old 2008-04-16, 2:15am
a pox upon an idiot :..

[quote=artwhim;1794409]Mountain Glass Arts: If you order by 1:30 pm EST, they will ship the same day. I'd call that pretty fast. Great customer service too.

I have to say that I was beyond impressed with the service at Mountain Art Glass.

I placed my first order with them two weeks ago when everyone was scurrying to by all the last of the ASK glass. I ordered with them online at about 4am, easy checkout, and they take AMEX, a must for me if shopping online. I get a call the very next morning, uhmm, 7 hours later that they are short 9oz on one color but everything else is ready to ship. I call back and they shipped the same day, that was a Thursday, my order arrived on Monday!
Packing was great and I received a 25% discount! ASK 104 glass in 4 days at less than 20.00 a pound, 11.00 shipping, a catalog, a pen and stickers!

They are the first place I will check to purchase anything from again, I'd even pay more for the type of customer service I received on my first order.

I spend many thousands of dollars a year on supplies and this is the best I've ever been treated by a vendor yet.

Edie
Old 2008-04-17, 9:29am

Well... I just received the tools from Malcolm at Artco. Malcolm... do you bribe the people at the PO or something? How did you do that? You are in California, I'm in Florida, and I got it in 2 days... you MUST live near near the Shipping Hub of the US or something!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-17, 10:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post
Well... I just received the tools from Malcolm at Artco. Malcolm... do you bribe the people at the PO or something? How did you do that? You are in California, I'm in Florida, and I got it in 2 days... you MUST live near near the Shipping Hub of the US or something!
And to think, I shipped it on the 15th, when the Post Office was busy with people's tax returns

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-04-17, 10:33am
Borovangelist

I can vouch for Malcolm being suspiciously fast and in cahoots with the post office

Generations and Vapor Glass are pretty good shippers, ABR's pretty good too. Often it depends on what you're ordering and such. Tools and dvd's can just be tucked in with a little bubble wrap and tossed into a box and away it goes.

Glass, however, needs to be weighed, in some cases cut, wrapped and then shipped. That slows things down and given that many of the vendors aren't conglomerates, there's only so many people working the glass stations and they get backed up.

The others are right though, if there's a reason you need it fast, call and ask. Many of the vendors can help speed things along if there's a good enough reason. "I'm impatient" doesn't cut it. But, "I'm filling in teaching a class next week and only just found out about it" might very well get you a little more traction.

Try ordering close too. There's a place in NH that I sometimes order BE and Uroboros from but if I need it super fast it may very well warrant the 2.5 hours each way to get it. Plus they're nice enough folks to go visit in person from time to time.

|
|
Old 2008-04-17, 12:16pm

TAG tries to ship the same day, if we have your billing info... but you'd have to order before noon! UPS comes between 1 & 2pm. (www.taglass.com) However, we are on the Upper Left Coast, so if any of those distribs listed above are near you, go for it! I think they all carry our glass.
Old 2008-04-17, 12:31pm

Another vote for www.mountainglassarts.com
and they carry alot of both boro and soft glass. I order mine on Monday and it is here Wed. Cant beat that.

Another vote for Vapor glass too

Arrow springs is slow. in my experience. Slow to email back if there is a problem too.

Old 2008-04-17, 1:10pm

Kathy, come on over. My husband says if I keep buying new toys, he's going to store them under my pillow if he steps on another one :O .

My Non-Glass Sites:

Last edited by Hels; 2008-04-18 at 6:58am.
Old 2008-04-18, 12:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
And to think, I shipped it on the 15th, when the Post Office was busy with people's tax returns

Malcolm
what is your secret Malcom!????
Old 2008-04-18, 12:06am

actually if it isn't a PG rated answer, I don't need to know
Old 2008-04-18, 2:11am
Don't be a zombie...

Yes I put my money on Malcolm...www.artcoinc.com.... I have been doing glass for 10 years and never ever had anyone close to his speed. Seriously...the best guy possible.
Old 2008-04-18, 2:17am

I ship same day if the order arrives by 2pm pst.
But I'm on the West coast. Don't know where you are yet.
Just a shameless plug

Old 2008-04-19, 9:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post

I second both, I have placed orders with Steve? at Mountain Glass and his follow up on my order has been right on.
Eric at Vapor is great, I think I have caught him several times on the road, yet he is really knowledgeable of whats going on with his clients and his responding to my emails have been blistering fast.
too thumbs ups on these guys.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.