Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-10, 11:42am

Default colormax

I was wondering if their(colormax)white or conac is any good? any infomation would be helpful.ThanksJohn
Old 2008-04-10, 2:48pm

The colormax has a bad reputation for being very cracky... both thermally and after annealing. I don't have cognac, I have the white, and it's a very pretty translucent white. Unfortunately, because colormax are notorious for making incompatible COE glass, you cannot use this with any other boro, or each other, without risking cracks long after annealing.

I have been using the white for single color spacers... but it's very slow to melt and takes a long time to shape. I do like the color white, which reminds me of milk glass, but because of the incompatibility potential, it's best use is alone. In marbles, the colormax white will become translucent, so not a good marble color either.

But as I have a need for a lot of white spacers, I'm happy with it for that purpose.

A really nice white that's very compatible and buttery to work with (but worthless in marbles) is borostix white. It's less expensive than the colormax too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Non-Glass Sites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-10, 4:12pm

Hels....Thanks for the info.I'd hate to waste money on glass that will not work for what I want it. John
Old 2008-04-11, 2:37pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I've got several pounds of colormax that I've been playing with for
quite a while. I'd heard about all the problems, so I'm watching the
beads very carefully. I actually told the people that are buying it that
these beads are sort of experimental - and I'm giving them a 1 year
warranty against any cracking and breakage.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-04-12, 1:52pm

The purple swiped into beads didn't crack yet! How long has that been Karen? A year??

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-12, 6:14pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn! View Post
The purple swiped into beads didn't crack yet! How long has that been Karen? A year??
Are you kidding me?
I don't know what I had for breakfast, and you want me to remember a
bead made a year ago .

My huge focals made with a base of colormax and stringers
of other stuff have held up for about 5 months so far. No cracks
chips, nicks or anything. They look great.

Old 2008-04-12, 7:30pm

I got several of the colors, white, rasberry, rose, green and a cobalt sample. The green is gorgeous, but shattered by itself for no reason when I made leaves with it and put a ladybug (not colormax) on top. The blue is so cracky its' not like boro at all.

Because of the rep, I haven't tried them with other colors... oh, blue and green... boom, didn't even make it to the kiln before they shattered. I tried the rasberry with dots on white... they are holding so far. The problem with colormax is that they aren't even compatible with each other in some cases, and you can't tell which is which til you buy them. But they are neat colors, so I bought them anyway, and I'll find a use for them, if only for spacers.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-12, 8:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Are you kidding me?
I don't know what I had for breakfast, and you want me to remember a
bead made a year ago .

My huge focals made with a base of colormax and stringers
of other stuff have held up for about 5 months so far. No cracks
chips, nicks or anything. They look great.
Hmm so it was made a year ago then!!

That is a bummer Helen! The raspberry color is real pretty too!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-12, 10:42pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I have made a shitload of spacers from them.
Pretty colors - the ivory color is just like a buttercream.
I really like them because the opaques are non-reactive
and non-striking, but don't boil like a crayon would.

I've made several roses out of the transparents, and
they've held up pretty well (except the one that had
a Science Text Book tossed on top of it - that one
didn't fare so well).

Old 2008-04-15, 4:20pm
ManBearPig

I use a lot of the colormax and have never had a problem with cracking.

Old 2008-04-16, 11:34am

Is color max the little short rods?? I bought a pile of them a few years ago and got really pretty colors out of them. I thinned them a lot with clear cause that is what I thought you were supposed to do and got great color! I used them in 5 inch beads and none ever cracked...I've got more in my garage and will put them on my website one of these days. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-16, 1:39pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Is color max the little short rods?? I bought a pile of them a few years ago and got really pretty colors out of them. I thinned them a lot with clear cause that is what I thought you were supposed to do and got great color! I used them in 5 inch beads and none ever cracked...I've got more in my garage and will put them on my website one of these days. Paula
No. Those are borostix or borobars. They work very well too. I use their white almost exclusively. Their purple is very good too.

Colormax is 12" rods. They are not really round. They are more octagonal shaped. The only place I know to get them any more is Winship.