No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-22, 9:23am
Lampworkaholic!

Default So what's up with CiM Poi?

I bought a half lb. of this glass, thinking it looked interesting, but so far it doesn't seem to be any different from generic Effetre or Vetrofond Violet.

Has anyone gotten anything interesting out of it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-01-23, 9:55pm

Well I agree, I have CIM Poi and it's just effetre violet to me. I can't get any other colors out of it. I tried every type of flame, and every position in the flame too. I tried flashing it. Several times, nothing! I do like the darker striations though.
So...since I got a bunch of free Raku frit from Cattwalk I decided to make some Raku stringers and apply raku decorations to a base bead of Poi, all encased in Diamond Clear. Gorgeous! And the raku decoration underneath the encasing literally looks like it's glowing, like the whole bead is lit up from within. I'll post a pic of it soon.
Of course, you could probably get the same effect from using a base bead of just plain violet, but I haven't tried that yet. Anybody else have luck getting any other colors out of Poi besides violet?

Last edited by Jammy; 2009-01-23 at 9:58pm.
Old 2009-01-23, 11:23pm
Lampworkaholic!

Great idea! I'll try Raku or Magic on it. Thanks for responding! Liz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-01-24, 1:51am
Entropy increasing....

It's an odd color, isn't it? I made a goddess out of it and the parts I did last were sort of brownish. I reduced it an it got a bit of luster finish, very shiny.

Here she is.

Old 2009-01-24, 2:43am

What is Magic??
Old 2009-01-24, 3:38am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
What is Magic??
a reichenbach 104 color, available at olympic color.

Old 2009-01-24, 4:47am

Thanks
Old 2009-01-24, 6:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Great idea! I'll try Raku or Magic on it. Thanks for responding! Liz
Liz, post a pic of it!
Old 2009-01-24, 6:49pm
Established Thinker I Am

Do you know what Poi is? I didn't til I googled.

Poi is a Hawaiian word for the primary Polynesian staple food made from the corm of the kalo plant (known widely as taro). Poi is produced by mashing the cooked corm (baked or steamed) to a highly viscous fluid. Water is added during mashing and again just before eating, to achieve a desired consistency, which can range from liquid to dough-like (poi can be known as two-finger or three-finger, alluding to how many fingers you would have to use to eat it, depending on its consistency).

The color in the picture on wikipedia looks just like the beads I have made. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poi_(food)

l
l
l

Last edited by taneres; 2009-01-24 at 9:09pm.
Old 2009-01-24, 7:10pm
The Brighter the Better!

Serena,

How did you make the bead that you have as your avatar? It is so beautiful and almost matches what Jammy was describing,

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2009-01-24, 7:12pm
It's all about the color.

You might want to edit your link - doesn't quite work. Here is one that does:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poi_(food)

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Last edited by Listenup; 2009-01-24 at 7:14pm.
Old 2009-01-24, 8:17pm

Raku on Vetro violet does noice things, (the violet all curdles and separates away from the raku) so I'd like to see what poi does with it.
Old 2009-01-24, 9:11pm
Established Thinker I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright-eyed Beads View Post
Serena,

How did you make the bead that you have as your avatar? It is so beautiful and almost matches what Jammy was describing,

Cheers

Jenny
Thanks! Its psyche on silver cinnamon. I love that combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
You might want to edit your link - doesn't quite work. Here is one that does:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poi_(food)

All better....stupid ')' ended up in the wrong spot.

l
l
l
Old 2009-01-25, 10:14am
It's all about the color.

I know. After I posted I had to go back and edit mine the first time because the automatic thing in the Advanced Reply puts the ')' after the link. Strange. It's definitely not you.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-01-25, 9:30pm
Lampworkaholic!

Kevan that goddess is amazing. And I love the pink one that I got from you.

OK, I tried the Poi and Magic today and it's promising. The Magic overwhelms the Poi a bit so I'll have to play with the proportions.

The two lentils have a stripe of silvered River Rock. I like the effect a lot.

Now if I could just learn to make a nice round lentil!

Old 2009-01-26, 1:09am

Yeah, and Poi tastes just like it looks.
Yum! (not)
They serve it at just about every Luau in Hawaii. Ate some on my honeymoon. I like to try new things. I think once was enough.
=)

Old 2009-01-26, 8:11am
Lampworkaholic!

Have you ever tried Taro? I used to get Taro smoothies all the time until my smoothie place closed. They were a lovely violet-pink color and tasted like cookies and cream ice cream (believe it or not).

Old 2009-01-26, 11:39pm

Yes, taro is much better!

Old 2009-01-27, 7:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
It's an odd color, isn't it? I made a goddess out of it and the parts I did last were sort of brownish. I reduced it an it got a bit of luster finish, very shiny.

Here she is.

Kevan, the colors on that goddess are exactly what I would love to get out of poi.....so that's it, reduce it or maybe just work in the flame a bit longer? She's gorgeous and I am in love with those colors!
But, also I am now thinking that compared to a small bead, that goddess has much more surface area on which the colors can develop.
Old 2009-01-27, 8:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Yes, taro is much better!
Aloha,

Taro and Poi are the same thing.
Taro is the raw vegetable. Taro is pounded into a paste with water which makes poi.

Mahalo,
Michele

Old 2009-01-28, 4:40am

Wow, really? Amazing, the taste was quite different when I tried a taro smoothie.
Maybe it was mixed with fruit juice in the smoothie I had and I didn't realize it. Or yogurt or something.

Old 2009-01-28, 7:18am
Lampworkaholic!

Maybe CiM should rename the color "Taro"?!

Old 2009-01-28, 10:05am
da General

I grew up in Honolulu and could never eat poi . . . it's the fermented paste of the taro corm, VERY different from fresh taro root! The locals usually add sugar to poi to "hide" the fermented taste . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-28, 10:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Maybe CiM should rename the color "Taro"?!
Aloha,
There is also the purple variety of taro, which is much sweeter in flavor when cooked. It such a gorgeous color purple, which I think we are looking for in glass.

Mahalo,
Michele

Old 2009-01-28, 10:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I grew up in Honolulu and could never eat poi . . . it's the fermented paste of the taro corm, VERY different from fresh taro root! The locals usually add sugar to poi to "hide" the fermented taste . .
Actually they let it sit for days untouched then it turns fermented when it is already poi. Hawaiians love it because it actually makes you "drunk".

Old 2009-01-28, 10:18am
da General

Exactly, Mikala . . . it's fermented, thus not anything like fresh taro, which I love!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-28, 10:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Exactly, Mikala . . . it's fermented, thus not anything like fresh taro, which I love!
Have you ever tried boiling it first, then fry it in butter? So yummy.

Old 2009-01-28, 10:29am
da General

I tried it every way possible but could never get into it! My lost, I guess! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-02-01, 9:55pm
picking Job's Tears

Have you tried taro chips?

Never tried poi myself, but DH loves it. Cooked taro I like. I wish we still had some in the yard.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-02-02, 10:22am

Taro sweet bread, Punaluu brand -down south in Na'alehu on Big Island.
They have the Bakery Shop. Taro chips after awhile is hard on the teeth.

Mahalo,
Michele