Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-02-11, 8:24am

Default Invacare Platinum 5 ?

Hi, I am a newbie both on the board and with lampworking (though I've lurked around for a while. I am a long-time glass fuser. I have an opportunity to purchase a very reasonably priced new Invacare Platinum 5 and would be pairing it with my Nortel Mega Minor and propane. I'd love to avoid the trips back and forth lugging that big tank around!

So far I'm not using any boro. Is this unit strong enough to handle the proper load for soft glass? I am working mainly with System 96 fusing glass as I make components for my fused work, and am just begininning to get into beads.

Thanks for your help.

Deb
Old 2010-02-11, 10:33am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It will work it, but it will be slow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-02-11, 2:47pm
Alaska Boro

Have used an Invacare Mobilaire V on a Cricket. For boro it does produce a smaller flame and takes longer for larger boro beads. But it is workable if that is what is available.

Keep in mind that a used unit should be a good buy if in the $225 or less range depending on used hours. Many seem to sell in the 500 dollar range which is good for COPD folks but bad for lampworkers.

Do not have a Nortel Mega Minor torch so do not know what it likes for oxygen consumption. (There are some older threads that compare some touches.) The GTT Cricket is designed for lower oxygen consumption, but works better at higher LPM levels. i.e. longer and hotter flame.....
Old 2010-02-11, 2:54pm
Established Thinker I Am

I was told by my local oxycon repair guy that the Invacare Platinum is a work horse. He said they are the best model out there that he has dealt with. I am sure that is up for debate by some but I like mine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
l
l
Old 2010-02-11, 4:10pm

Thanks for the help. This (hopefully) will be a good buy at under $200. I'm not doing any boro yet and do realize that when I do I'll have to buy a second unit. As I'm a newbie I don't yet need to make beads fast-just well.
Old 2010-02-11, 4:20pm
honorary bead lady

$200 is a good price

I have an older major/minor (only use the minor) 1-5L oxycon worked ok for 104, it was real slow and frustrating with bullseye.

Got a second and wow!
Old 2010-03-08, 3:07pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by taneres View Post
I was told by my local oxycon repair guy that the Invacare Platinum is a work horse. He said they are the best model out there that he has dealt with. I am sure that is up for debate by some but I like mine!
This is my opinion, as well. Invacares are great machines.

DeVilbiss makes a good machine, too, and if you were to upgrade to a larger torch or a torch with more restrictions than a standard mix bead torch, then I would suggest getting the DeVilbiss. Otherwise, Invacare is the best choice for used 5 LPM machines.
Old 2010-03-10, 8:21pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

invacare 5 for $200 is a great deal, you can't go wrong. It should run a minor just fine for 104.

I run 2 devilbiss 5 lpms for my cricket and almost use only boro now. I also have two 5 lpm invacares for my tank fill system. All in all, I like the invacares better.

Last edited by metalbone; 2010-03-10 at 8:28pm.
Old 2010-03-14, 10:19am
Glass-aholic

This is great info. I am wondering what if anything needs to be done conversion wise to hook it up??? I also saw one cheap on craigs list.. but have no idea what to do with it!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-03-14, 10:50am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

the barb on the paltinum may not be the correct diameter for your hose, visit a good hardware store and talk to one of the helpers in the plumbing section or visit the mcmaster carr website after you get the concentrator.
Old 2010-03-14, 11:15am
Glass-aholic

that is great thanks!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: