No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-25, 12:30pm
Hello?

Default Declaring value for customs

Wasn't sure exactly where I should post this but here it is

For those that ship a lot of international stuff, when it comes to stating the contents value, what value do you use? The cost of the materials or the cost the person paid for the item?

I usually put down the cost paid for the item, but someone recently told me I should be putting down the value of the materials instead.

Anyone care to chime in?

~Joe~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-25, 12:43pm

I use the purchase price of the item on mine
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-04-25, 12:49pm
I love melting glass!

I always use purchase price too.

Old 2007-04-25, 1:27pm
Pugs rule

I ditto on the purchase price.

Old 2007-04-25, 1:37pm
novembersfyre everywhere

The value is the purchase price. You do not need to include the shipping price as part of the value.

Old 2007-04-25, 3:27pm

We might get stung by customs when sellers state the purchase price, but otherwise you (the seller) might get in trouble, and if it gets lost the buyer can't claim more than the value you put. It should be the true value of the item you are shipping.

Old 2007-04-25, 4:22pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMary View Post
We might get stung by customs when sellers state the purchase price, but otherwise you (the seller) might get in trouble, and if it gets lost the buyer can't claim more than the value you put. It should be the true value of the item you are shipping.
It's not "might" get in trouble, it's WILL get into trouble. LOTS of trouble. Customs specifically requires you state the purchase price and would consider claiming value based on only materials cost to be fraud.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-04-25, 4:32pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

And never send as a "gift" unless it really is a gift. A U.S. seller can be fined up to $500.00 for lying on a Customs Form. It's just not worth it and don't let any international customers try to talk you into it either. They understand in the end when you tell them what can happen to you.

Back to the question though... I declare the purchase value and do not include shipping.

Old 2007-04-25, 5:20pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Really? It's amazing how many US sellers will fib on their customs forms! As long as it is under $400 US I was told we don't pay duties on it so there is no need to fib. One very big us seller whom at least 50% of you have bought from always sends me a 'present' to have fun with at my birthday party (even if it's july and my birthday is in june)
Old 2007-04-25, 5:20pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

And as long as you never EVER ask for it they do it!
Old 2007-04-25, 7:12pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
And never send as a "gift" unless it really is a gift. A U.S. seller can be fined up to $500.00 for lying on a Customs Form. It's just not worth it and don't let any international customers try to talk you into it either. They understand in the end when you tell them what can happen to you.

Back to the question though... I declare the purchase value and do not include shipping.
The maximum fine is $5,000.
$500. is the minimum.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-04-26, 12:51am

And you risk getting every parcel you send from then on, stopped and searched, delaying your deliveries.

Old 2007-04-26, 1:03am
More ideas than talent

out of curiousity has anyone ever been fined?

Old 2007-04-26, 1:40am
Hello?

Well Its a good thing I have been doing it based on the purchase price, less the shipping costs.

I do not think I would look good in an orange suit

~Joe~

Old 2007-04-26, 4:42am
Safety ALWAYS

And you can be banned from shipping packages through USPS.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-04-26, 6:15pm

Default GIFT

I have never shipped anything overseas but I get a LOT of medicines from online pharmacies ( you would not believe how much cheaper they are from other countries ) and they always come in small boxes or padded envelopes and are marked "GIFT". There is no customs charges for small gifts and I get stuff from INDIA in about 10 days or less by airmail and never had any problem. The post office delivers them to my front door. HTH>

Larry
Atlanta
Old 2007-04-27, 8:31am
Resident Luny

It bums me out when it really IS a gift. I sent a gift to Japan the other day. I wish I didn't have to put right on there what it's worth...or do they remove those on the other side before it gets delivered? I don't think they do.

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2007-04-28, 12:42am

I've always put the purchase price on it.
Old 2007-04-28, 12:48am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlabman View Post
I have never shipped anything overseas but I get a LOT of medicines from online pharmacies ( you would not believe how much cheaper they are from other countries ) and they always come in small boxes or padded envelopes and are marked "GIFT". There is no customs charges for small gifts and I get stuff from INDIA in about 10 days or less by airmail and never had any problem. The post office delivers them to my front door. HTH>

Larry
Atlanta
Are you nuts dude? Do you know what you are really getting? Stick to the online pharmacies within your own country.
Old 2007-04-28, 8:01am

Default Saving a LOT of money !!!!!!

Not trying to steal the thread, but yes I do know what I am buying. The meds come with each pill in a blister pack. The blister pack is printed with the mfgr info, date, etc, and they are major drug co that can be looked up in reference books. Not only that, each blister pack must have printed on it the max price that the drug can be sold for in the country it comes from, Much better system than we have here where the pills are counted out of huge bottle and repacked by the pharmacy helper who could easily make mistakes. I take a lot of pills and my blood work shows everythingis working the way it should at a saving of 60 to 80% of US prices at Walgreen.

Larry
Old 2007-04-28, 2:51pm
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse View Post
It bums me out when it really IS a gift. I sent a gift to Japan the other day. I wish I didn't have to put right on there what it's worth...or do they remove those on the other side before it gets delivered? I don't think they do.
I usually mark NCV (no commerical value) when I send gifts.

Old 2007-04-29, 12:00pm
Bead Chick

Wendy,

I've tried to do that, but the only thing they'll let you put NCV on here is documents. Most of the time, customs here will not bother with adding a charge to small value items, but larger ones we have to pay the goods and services tax (value added tax/sales tax) on.