No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-07, 4:50pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Exclamation Baking Soda Beads - 2 questions

1) How long do I soak them in vinegar and water before I anneal them? I'm using a half vinegar/half water solution.

2) I over applied on some beads and I can see hairlines fractures on the surface where the pitting is...This is normal for OPAQUE (like Ivory) baking soda beads but these are transparents...are these beads now considered a loss?

Normally, I would just toss them but I was going for an antiquity feel and the authentic roman glass beads I have are unstable at best, same pitting, same veined look in areas...crumbly...

I needed them just for photos anyway so if I can't sell them, it makes no difference...just wondering...they look really cool - nice and crackled on some...others there is no crackling, just pitting...

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-07, 5:02pm

Newbie - Can you explain what happened. You made a bead, rolled in baking soda and let cool before annealing to soak in vinegar? Could you explain the process? Love the way it looks but have no idea how to do it. Thanks!
Old 2006-07-07, 5:07pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

klrglass,

Yes, I made the beads, rolled them in baking soda but let them cool in the fiber blanket before annealing because you have to stop the process of the baking soda on the glass first (or at least I think so... LOL).

So I have them soaking in vinegar&water to neutralize the reaction before I anneal them...anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...but it seems to me the glass, if still reacting to the baking soda, would be unstable all the way through the annealing process? So it's best to stop the progress before annealing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-07, 6:12pm
Goddess

Hey Amber, I've never done it that way. Maybe I do it wrong! I just roll the bead in the baking soda, let it bubble and do its thing and then put it in the kiln when I'm finished with it. I haven't had any problems with cracking at all, neither with opaques nor with transparents...at least not to my knowledge! I haven't heard that the baking soda needs to be neutralized.

Old 2006-07-07, 6:16pm

Teresa - are any of the beads in your galleries done with baking soda or do you striclty use enamals to achieve your surface texture?
Old 2006-07-07, 6:33pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Teresa, no you probably do it right but I did remember hearing that the baking soda will keep going if you don't neutralize it. I'll try putting it straight in the kiln and see if that changes the crackling issue.

Old 2006-07-07, 6:40pm
maybe tomorrow

I haven't done any for years, but I could swear I used to encase them after the baking soda. Hmmm. I don't think I have any around to check though.

Old 2006-07-07, 6:43pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Toni, I would do that if I wanted the bubbly effect but what I'm looking for is an aged surface, pitted and rough. I have that on most it just seems the reaction went overboard on some of them.

Old 2006-07-07, 6:44pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos*
Toni, I would do that if I wanted the bubbly effect but what I'm looking for is an aged surface, pitted and rough. I have that on most it just seems the reaction went overboard on some of them.

Ahhh. Never tried that, so I'll shut up now.

Old 2006-07-07, 7:06pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Oh no worries, Toni! I'll try the bubbly beads soon, I'm sure! LOL

Old 2006-07-07, 9:27pm
Dangerous Woman

I put mine right into the kiln too. I did notice that if I tried to do dots or stringer decoration over the baking soda it all came off later. I think it has something to do with not being able to adhere to the rough surface. I don't have any backing for this just my guess.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-07-08, 12:02am
Entropy increasing....

I tried encasing a baking soda bead and the bubbles got really big and just kept coming up through the glass on top. This is a hollow bead that my husband made with baking soda on the outside. It kind of looks like seeded glass.
Old 2006-07-08, 1:09am
Goddess

These are a few that I did recently with baking soda on the surface. I really like the weathered texture. No, you can't do alot of decoration once the baking soda is on, it doesn't stick. Maybe soaking in vinager and water after the bead comes out of the kiln wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm going to try that next time I make one of these.

Old 2006-07-08, 1:26am
Entropy increasing....

I should do this on a goddess. Make her look like she's been at the bottom of the ocean for a couple of hundred years.
Old 2006-07-08, 5:28am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniL
I haven't done any for years, but I could swear I used to encase them after the baking soda. Hmmm. I don't think I have any around to check though.

I encase them too...

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2006-07-08, 5:52am

I have always admired the look you get with baking soda (see especially Karen Ovington's work at http://www.ovingtonglassstudio.com/Custom_Beads.html) so I made a whole set for a friend one spring. She loved it and wore it all the time, that is UNTIL all the beads disintegrated, fell to pieces, and crumbled into lumps nearly simultaneously, about two months later.

Now, many years later the 'Aha!!' moment --> <<<...but it seems to me the glass, if still reacting to the baking soda, would be unstable all the way through the annealing process? So it's best to stop the progress before annealing? >>>>

This sounds right to me. It may be that annealing stops the process. But maybe not. Hmmmm!!!

JanMD
Old 2007-01-25, 6:30pm
Nancy

Default Baking Soda

Could someone explain to me the process of rolling beads in baking soda? How is it done and what's the purpose? I've never heard of this before.

Thanks.

Nancy
Old 2007-01-25, 6:38pm
Shine your bright side!

I never do the vinager soak. I just keep heating the baking soda and burn off as much as I can. And what doesn't burn off in the torch burns off in the kiln, I believe.

I do lots of baking soda texture on my bone beads and never have a problem.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-01-25, 6:51pm

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by krfteldy View Post
Could someone explain to me the process of rolling beads in baking soda? How is it done and what's the purpose? I've never heard of this before.

Thanks.

Nancy
Old 2007-01-25, 9:13pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I should do this on a goddess. Make her look like she's been at the bottom of the ocean for a couple of hundred years.
Here is one that I used baking soda on and then cooked the snot out of:

She literally has a "bubble butt"!

Old 2009-02-15, 12:49pm

Chris and Nancy,
Making a bead then roll it in a dish of baking soda to give it pitted looks like Cathy's goddess. Or encase them in clear to bring out the bubble like Cherine's beads.
Old 2009-02-15, 1:56pm

Roll your hot bead in baking soda and then put it back in the flame to cook it well. Then anneal. A vinegar /water soak after would not be a bad idea.
The beads tend to be unstable and can fall aparts weeks, months or years later. I had some beautiful ornaments that only lasted 6 months. Luckily I didn't sell any.
Old 2009-02-15, 10:05pm
Formerly FishBulb

Interesting -- I was wondering if they glass would be less stable. Sounds like that's a possibility.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-02-16, 7:53am
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison D View Post
Roll your hot bead in baking soda and then put it back in the flame to cook it well. Then anneal. A vinegar /water soak after would not be a bad idea.
The beads tend to be unstable and can fall aparts weeks, months or years later. I had some beautiful ornaments that only lasted 6 months. Luckily I didn't sell any.
In "The Complete Book Of Glass Beadmaking" that's how she says to do it. Roll it and then cook it some more in the flame. She doesn't say anything about vinegar though.

I have been wanting to try this technique, and I have wondered how to get a bead with a bunch of bubbles in it and now I know!! Thanks for asking this question.