Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-11, 7:33am
Rose colored glasses…√

Default Wasn't there a press...

for beads like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/89533938...pwork-necklace

I swear I remember someone posting beads like this made with a press.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-12-11, 9:08am
I speak Murrini!

Could you be thinking of Zoozii's "Charm Box"? http://www.zooziis.com/charmbox.aspx Maybe the "Crystal" shape in there?

ETA: If it were me, I'd try making a disc on a larger mandrel (I love 3/16" mandrels - my favorite) and melt it fairly smooth, trying not to melt them in too much and loose the narrow footprint. Then I'd use small flat mashers (the tweezer type) to keep it narrow while I heated and shaped into a square...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2012-12-11 at 9:11am.
Old 2012-12-11, 9:14am
Rose colored glasses…√

I don't like larger mandrels...

I guess I'm dreaming, and there wasn't such a press.

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-12-11, 9:14am
Mr Brutus RIP

Yes, what de said. I make square disks and use my mashers I use a 3/32 mandrel tho

Old 2012-12-11, 9:35am
Angie09

I'm almost sure I've seen one too! Thought it was Bavarian but just went thru all their presses and its not there. I'm sure you've checked Zoozies but I'll go check again too.

Hers the closest I could find: http://www.zooziis.com/squaredisks.aspx

Last edited by Angie09; 2012-12-11 at 9:41am.
Old 2012-12-11, 12:42pm
sunscreen me baby

I'm not aware of one but I can tell you how I make those with a tile press if you have one. Make a disc, smoosh the sides into the press to create your flat edge and corner. Add glass as needed and smoosh more. I flatten it back to a disc using mashers.

~

Old 2012-12-11, 3:15pm
Unmedicated since '62

what about graceful customs sideways masher with the groove cut in it?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-11, 5:31pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
what about graceful customs sideways masher with the groove cut in it?
Exactly. Make a spacer, mash it with grace mashers, marver sides -1,2,3,4

Come to think of it you could do octagons, hexagons, worlds of possibilities.

Chrissi, I use the 3/32 masher from grace even on 1/16 mandrels - you have to move up or down a bit and of course you know when they're small you have to be quick but it's do-able.

Old 2012-12-11, 6:35pm

http://www.zooziis.com/squaredisks.aspx

This is little different...but maybe what you are looking for.

Oops missed Angie's post, sorry for the duplicate

Last edited by beadmama; 2012-12-12 at 5:25am.
Old 2012-12-11, 6:52pm
sunscreen me baby

I can't believe I don't own those mashers.....

~

Old 2012-12-11, 8:18pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I own those mashers, and they're really a bit too big, but maybe I'll be able to use them one day. Of course, I use really tiny mandrels.

I guess I'll play this weekend, and see if I can do it. I want to make a rainbow necklace similar to that one for a friend of mine for Christmas.

I could also order that press and use it as a guide...

Thanx everyone.

Old 2012-12-12, 5:21am

You may have been dreaming, and it's going to be a downright nightmare trying to make them without a press. =(
You know, all that shaping and everything....I hate squares... =/

Old 2012-12-12, 4:51pm

Chrissy, where do you buy those tiny mandrels? We asked at the welding shop but they never called back. I need them for dipping enamels.
Old 2012-12-12, 5:02pm
I fart diamonds

Pat, just tell them you need .045 stainless tig. Most welding shops have it.

Old 2012-12-12, 7:00pm
Burning Fingers!

Chrissi - I too have the feeling that I have seen a press for that shape. Perhaps send an email to Amy at Zooziis, she may be able to help - maybe it was discontinued.

/
/
/

Old 2012-12-12, 7:46pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I wonder if they would make a smaller one for those that make small beads....like me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I own those mashers, and they're really a bit too big, but maybe I'll be able to use them one day. Of course, I use really tiny mandrels.

I guess I'll play this weekend, and see if I can do it. I want to make a rainbow necklace similar to that one for a friend of mine for Christmas.

I could also order that press and use it as a guide...

Thanx everyone.

Old 2012-12-13, 8:04am

Thanks Shawnette. We did go in and ask but they didn't have any in stock. They said they were going to get some and call me, but never did. I'll try again I didn't have the #.
Old 2012-12-13, 8:29am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Thanks Shawnette. We did go in and ask but they didn't have any in stock. They said they were going to get some and call me, but never did. I'll try again I didn't have the #.
If you don't have any luck locally, I think sundance sells them.

They do:

http://www.sundanceglass.com/glass-bead-tools-r.htm

Old 2012-12-13, 9:58am

Thankyou.