Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-01-20, 3:17pm

Default Metallic taste in mouth?

Recently I've been experience a metallic taste in my mouth that won't go away. I've just started working with silver glass, trying to master it, and I'm wondering if it could be related. I'm worried that my ventilation system might need to be improved. I've been reading all I can find about ventilation, but I can't find anything about symptoms of exposure to heavy metal fumes. I've also been dieting, so this metallic taste could posslbly be a symptom of ketosis but I am worried that it could be from reducing, striking and melting silver glass with a ventilation system that might not be adequate for the task. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Old 2013-01-20, 3:47pm
Who me?

I had a metallic taste in my mouth 30 years ago, way before I ever thought of torching. I thing it was a precursor to my loss of sense of smell. Haven't smelled anything in 25 years. I miss it. See a doctor.
Old 2013-01-20, 5:39pm
Salt Box Beads

Check out what happened to me. It was awful....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ght=pine+mouth
Old 2013-01-20, 5:48pm
Lampworkaholic!

It could be an infection in your throat. I had that symptom and it cleared up with antibiotics. But improving the ventilation is always a good thing. You also might put aside the silver glass for a but and see if the taste goes away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-01-20, 6:31pm

It can be CAUSED by antibiotics...

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-01-20, 6:33pm
Melody of Glass

I had those effects from Erythromycin one year. Turns out I have an intolerance to it. Made everything taste and smell metallic and made me way sicker than whatever it was that made me need the antibiotics in the first place.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-20, 7:18pm
Looking for my waistline

Lots of things can cause a metallic taste in your mouth. Certain vitamins and mineral supplements can do it, too. But if it started after you began fuming, you might want to back off for a while and see if it goes away. Detoxing heavy metals from your system takes a long time, though.
Old 2013-01-22, 7:47am

Aside from the metallic taste, if you are questioning your ventilation it is probably not adequate.
Old 2013-01-22, 9:45am
Growing Edge Glass

http://round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html

Check the link above and read about myofascial trigger points in the muscles of the head/neck/face. The pterygoid will cause issues with the linqual nerve and that can produce a metallic taste in the mouth. Read the little exerpt below.

"They can also entrap the lingual nerve producing the odd symptom of a bitter, metallic taste in the mouth (which the patient may not connect with other symptoms and may not report for fear of being thought "crazy.")"

I always recommend the book The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies so that people can educate themselves about trigger points and, more importantly, learn how to get rid of them.

Another thing to consider is that you might be low in B12. A good sublingual B12 made with methylcobalamin will remedy issues with metallic tastes, loss of taste and sense of smell. Very common signs of a b12 deficiency.

Just a few things to consider!

Oh and proper ventilation is ALWAYS a must!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2013-02-08, 2:26am

There are many causes for metallic taste and, or smell reaction. The test for silver though fortunately is relatively easy, so get a silver checkup first to eliminate that and then you can start looking further afield for other problems. Terry!!
Old 2013-02-08, 3:29am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
I had those effects from Erythromycin one year. Turns out I have an intolerance to it. Made everything taste and smell metallic and made me way sicker than whatever it was that made me need the antibiotics in the first place.
I'm allergic to it. When I was a kid I kept burping the taste of rotten eggs when I was on it. Then my face just blew up one day. It freaked my father out my face was so swollen. My mother was like, "oh, it's a reaction to the antibiotic, no big deal."

I had a terrible taste in my mouth on Cipro. But it worked great.

Never discount some meds you are taking.
Old 2013-02-08, 3:29am
Entropy increasing....

Also, another idea, stop using the silver glass for a few days and see if it disappears.