Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-31, 6:49am

Default Substitution for Vetrofond Light Ivory

Please help. I need to find a substitute for Vetrofond Light Ivory.
Any suggestions?

Piranha, 5 lpm Oxy Con & Propane
Hot Head (its what started all this)
Old 2012-05-31, 7:45am
sunscreen me baby

What exactly do you need to substitute? The color? The reactions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-31, 7:57am
da General

Try mixing Effectre Light Ivory to blend and smooth it more to get very similar result as the Vetrofond version. You may even add some white to adjust the color as you please.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-05-31, 9:40am

Sorry I guess I should elaborate.

I really like the color (no streaks) porcelain like and the "non" reactiveness base.
In the past I've tried to substitute effetre light ivory but it doesnt work the same and I get streaks.

Theres a basic bead that I make using vet. lt. ivory and goldstone stringer. It looks great nice solid color and no reaction. With effetre I get streaks in the ivory and sometimes the goldstone has a little green trail around it.

Piranha, 5 lpm Oxy Con & Propane
Hot Head (its what started all this)
Old 2012-05-31, 10:07am
sunscreen me baby

Try silver pink. It is what I use for a floral base when I don't want a line of definition around the petals I get with purples, blues and greens. It might work.

~

Old 2012-05-31, 11:32am
da General

The point of hand mixing Effetre Light Ivory is to get rid of the streaks so it resembles the Vetrofond version. It won't work if it reacts with your goldstone stringer however.

Susan is right - silver pink is a more expensive alternative.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-05-31, 11:56am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Susan is right - silver pink is a more expensive alternative.
Not anymore, lol. I believe it's cheaper right now

~

Old 2012-05-31, 12:03pm
da General

Where do you find silver pink being cheap?

At 30% off, it's $32.92/lb at Frantz and even at Ron's with 48% off, silver pink is still $22.56/lb while Light Ivory is $7.32/lb.

http://www.artglasshouse.com/pc_comb...29A7B35&page=3

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-05-31, 12:31pm
sunscreen me baby

I meant in relation to Vetro at $80 to $100 a pound.

~

Old 2012-05-31, 2:55pm
Happy Inner Dragon

If you want a solid off-white, my Honey Crunch does just that :-/

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-05-31, 3:02pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I meant in relation to Vetro at $80 to $100 a pound.
lol! Yup, you are right about that now . . . perhaps I should sell my stash?

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-05-31, 6:11pm
Did someone say SALE?

How about Cim Butter Pecan?
Old 2012-05-31, 6:31pm
sunscreen me baby

My honey crunch is streaky. I love it for hair cane.

Beth, I use Butter Pecan for mermaid flesh, it's a really nice color and pretty non reactive. But it can get transparent streaks (although it's pretty manageable) and, it is now going to be a limited run color. They're killing us!

~

Old 2012-05-31, 6:33pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I wish mine was streaky! If I pull stringer, it's half decent, otherwise, it just goes a solid bone/ivory colour.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-05-31, 8:54pm
Glass-aholic

Uh why is the vetro so high right now? Is it just the silver pink?

Ps cim khaki? Maybe or other cim color in that range.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-01, 12:55am
The one, the only

I still have lots of Vetrofond Light Ivory in my online shop if you really need some (we're based in France).

Here is the link: http://www.glassworksfrance.com

-
-
-
Old 2012-06-01, 5:18am
sunscreen me baby

Kathy, you just made my day!

~

Old 2012-06-01, 5:56am
Tweedle Dumb

Kathy, is the shipping calculation correct? I have 4 lt ivory units in my cart and shipping is coming in at $29.90. I know it's coming from overseas... Yikes. I feel bad for all of our overseas people that have to buy from the US now.

Just checking before I go crazy.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-06-01, 9:44am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Kathy, you just made my day!
I thought Suzy bought them all! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-06-01, 10:42am
sunscreen me baby

Nope, I only have 1 lb stashed. I was trying to let you get it all Hayley

~

Old 2012-06-01, 1:57pm
The one, the only

I am all sold out on Vetrofond Light Ivory now!

-
-
-
Old 2012-06-08, 4:47pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

Oh my gosh.... I ordered it from France on June 1st and just got a notice that it is at the post office waiting for me... Wow, was that fast!!!

Pam
Old 2012-06-10, 5:59am

jamielynn....yeah that shipping sounds right... feel sorry for all us folks in the UK that have to source loads of our lampwork stuff from the USA!

Old 2012-06-12, 9:16pm

I haven't been on in a while..when did Vetrofond light ivory get to be so expensive??and why...
"

Old 2012-06-13, 4:00am
Mad about Glass

Vetrofond have stopped making glass so in demand colours like light ivory are reaching exorbitantly high prices.

[url]