Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-11, 6:11pm

Question O2 concentrator question

I was told a long time ago on one of these threads that you could not put two 02 concentrators of different flows and pressures together. I was looking at O2 concentrators online at Arrow Springs, and they had this to sa:y "More than one concentrator/generator can be coupled together using an Oxygen Concentrator/Generator Coupler. This will provide increased overall pressure while the torch is running and higher oxygen flow. Models of different pressures and flows can be used together."
So, which is it? Does anyone here have two different size machines hooked together? Or has anyone done this with bad results?
Old 2011-10-11, 9:02pm
Alaska Boro

Two machines can be combined if the output pressures are the same or very close. The higher pressure machine will overpower the lower pressure machine.

As an example, place a 1 gallon bucket of water on a ten foot ladder. Place another one on a 5 foot ladder. Combine the two hoses in a "T" and see what happens.
Old 2011-10-11, 9:22pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokeshikitten View Post
I was told a long time ago on one of these threads that you could not put two 02 concentrators of different flows and pressures together. I was looking at O2 concentrators online at Arrow Springs, and they had this to sa:y "More than one concentrator/generator can be coupled together using an Oxygen Concentrator/Generator Coupler. This will provide increased overall pressure while the torch is running and higher oxygen flow. Models of different pressures and flows can be used together."
So, which is it? Does anyone here have two different size machines hooked together? Or has anyone done this with bad results?
I have 2 5 lpm machines - one is a 5 psi and the other is 9 psi. I am able to Y them together. I do not get full benefit from the 5 psi one, but it is not completely backpressured either.

I do dispute this statement:

"This will provide increased overall pressure while the torch is running"

Putting two 5 lpm 5 psi machines together does not provide 10 psi - it provides 5, but does provide more oxy lpm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-10-12, 8:06am

great comments squid - to add to this I have been under the impression that alot of people were running 2 machines and this was giving them more O2.

But I discovered what alot of people are really doing is getting 2 machines and running one line to the inner fire jet and then hooking the second machine to either a foot pedal or to the outer fire jet directly so that when you run both inner and outer fire, you arent sharing o2 between the 2 from one concentrator. I have a hurricane PS2 and it puts out 20 lpm so I have never felt the need to get a second machine because for what I do, its enough. IMO don't spend the money on 2 machines if you are looking to increase the amount of O2. If you want 10 lpm, 10 psi, buy 10 lpm, 10 psi.

It doesnt make sense to me to buy 2 machines at 5 psi for 295.00 each, for a total of 590.00 when you can get a 10 psi, 10 lpm machine for 395. you are going to get 5 psi for 590.00 but higher O2 lpm levels, 10 psi for 395.00 is going to give you 10 lpm.

Less connections, less hassle and an extra 195.00 for something else but thats just my personal opinion.

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2011-10-12 at 8:31am.
Old 2011-10-12, 8:29am

One other note: if you actually read their literature on the coupler - it says: ( and I copied and pasted it right off their site)

"Allows you to connect multiple oxygen concentrators (also known as oxygen generators) to a single oxygen hose for your torch. This will increase oxygen volume by combining more than one source. The double connects two oxygen concentrator/generators together. The Triple connects three together."

That doesnt say it increases PSI - it states it increases the amount of O2 available. So as Squid stated - you buy 5 psi - you will get 5 psi. You buy 2 5 psi's you still get 5 psi but you'll get more useable O2 and you'll actually have spent more money than just buying a 10 psi, 10 lpm machine.
Old 2011-10-12, 8:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
One other note: if you actually read their literature on the coupler - it says: ( and I copied and pasted it right off their site)

"Allows you to connect multiple oxygen concentrators (also known as oxygen generators) to a single oxygen hose for your torch. This will increase oxygen volume by combining more than one source. The double connects two oxygen concentrator/generators together. The Triple connects three together."

That doesnt say it increases PSI - it states it increases the amount of O2 available. So as Squid stated - you buy 5 psi - you will get 5 psi. You buy 2 5 psi's you still get 5 psi but you'll get more useable O2 and you'll actually have spent more money than just buying a 10 psi, 10 lpm machine.
As well as more electricity costs to run them.
Old 2011-10-12, 9:22am
Did someone say SALE?

I recently tried to connect a 5 lpm and an 8 lpm machine together, and they did not get along well. They let me know about it too. No workie.
Old 2011-10-12, 10:54am
Curmudgeon Engineering

One 5lpm, 5 psi machine connected to a second 5lpm, 8 psi machine operates as follows. The 8psi machine will supply all the oxy to the system and effectively 'stall' the 5psi machine until the system pressure drops to or below 5psi. This pressure drop is a result of opening the torch valves more. When the pressure from the 8psi machine drops to 5psi the first machine, 5psi, will start to feed oxy into the system. The guages will show a n imtermediate pressure because the 8psi is 'backing up' into the 5psi side of the system. You will not gain any pressure increase over 5psi but will have 13 lpm available. Since you are effectively using the 8psi machine exclusively when using less than its lpm output you will have between 8psi and 5psi until the smaller machine starts to feed into your system. I hope this makes sense... lots of 5's and 8's and lpm's and psi's to keep track of
Old 2011-10-12, 11:02am
dances with ideas...

So one 5 lpm/5 psi + one 5 lpm/8 psi =
13 lpm / range of 5 to 8 psi, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-12, 11:22am

10 lpm / range of 5 to 8 psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
So one 5 lpm/5 psi + one 5 lpm/8 psi =
13 lpm / range of 5 to 8 psi, right?