Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-03, 10:46am

Default new Dremel tool

The flex shaft to my Black and Decker electric dremel tool just bit the dust and a replacement shaft costs $50. I'm thinking it might be smarter (or more economical) to just buy a new tool. So, any opinions? Do you love your dremel tool (for cleaning beads)...and if so, which one do you own? Thank for sharing your wisdom!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-03, 11:31am

I have one in a custom carrying case. This is very important to me for organizational purposes.

Old 2012-01-03, 11:37am
one day at a time

Cordless Dremel MiniMite, and you can get it at Amazon or Walmart.com. I've had mine for 6 years, and use it a LOT. That rechargeable battery is still going strong, which I find to be amazing!
Old 2012-01-03, 2:45pm
Always Improving

cordless tool from Harbor Freight...29.00 and comes with the flex shaft.

Mike...
Old 2012-01-03, 2:48pm
Did someone say SALE?

I like my Dremel, but I wish I had a Foredom flexshaft or similar unit so I could make the tool go at varying speeds based on how hard I press the foot pedal. The dremel is either off or on, and you have to adjust the speed on the unit. Just seems like it would be more convenient to control the speed with my foot.
Old 2012-01-03, 2:48pm

Thank you all....I'm leaning towards the Harbor Freight tool! Thanks again!!!

Old 2012-01-03, 2:49pm

I love my pistol grip dremel. Very easy on my hands & I can hold it in 2 diff positions.
Old 2012-01-03, 5:13pm

Default Dremel tool alternative

Hi there,

I'm new to this site/lampworking (haven't even started yet), but I do a lot of woodworking (I build bluegrass mandolins) so I'm familiar with tools.

I have one of these, and I feel like it's FAR superior to the Dremel (which I also have) and it's competitively priced.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Flex...-Grinder/G9928
Old 2012-01-03, 5:46pm
Wonder-wench

I have a variable speed dremel, basic model from a few years ago. It works good for cleaning beads, but I can only use it at the lowest possible speed and would look for something with a lower rpm in the future.

Also, it feels a bit like using a sledgehammer to put in finish nails i.e. my Dremel brand multi-speed, multi-tip capable is only used to clean ~5 beads a week, woefully underutilized.

Old 2012-01-03, 7:11pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Welcome, Past!

I have a question. The Grizzly website says the tool goes from 0 to 15,000rpm. Is it capable of running continuously at very low speeds (5-10rpm) and how much torque does it have at those speeds?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past View Post
Hi there,

I'm new to this site/lampworking (haven't even started yet), but I do a lot of woodworking (I build bluegrass mandolins) so I'm familiar with tools.

I have one of these, and I feel like it's FAR superior to the Dremel (which I also have) and it's competitively priced.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Flex...-Grinder/G9928

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-01-04, 12:11pm
one day at a time

Just remember if you are using this tool to clean beads in water, it must be cordless for safety's sake. Some people use electric ones, but I would never recommend taking a chance with water and electric tools.