Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-15, 8:59am

Default "TP" parallel masher question

I was comparing mashers and found many folks prefer the TP. It's expensive at $149. I see one on Amazon and EBay for $49 that looks just like the expensive one. I wrote to the seller. This is what he said in response:

"My name is Dave Lobley, I designed the first TRUE PARALLEL MASHER (gold in color) while doing engineering work for Wale Apparatus. I then built some for Phillips Safety Products and they are distributing to Franz ,Wale ect.
I now make a better model that is lighter and more accurate."

Does anyone know the story or purchased this nice looking, less expensive masher? $49 is still a lot of money... but $100 less than the other? He sells all the different 'heads' for about $9-12 each ($18-$24 per set).
Old 2012-05-15, 9:10am
Angie09

I have the expensive ones and love them. If he's for real....that would be quite a deal. Please let us all know what you find out.
Old 2012-05-15, 9:15am
one day at a time

Do you have a link to this masher? I couldn't find it on ebay. thanks!
Old 2012-05-15, 9:35am

I have looked at these for a while. I can never a size for the heads. Anyone know the size of the lentil and tabular presses? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-15, 9:43am

Here's the link to the ebay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parallel-Gla...item27c61184f1

And here's his regular website: http://artisantoolworks.net/

I'll be back to read more opinions - I really want one of these. I spent all weekend using regular mashers and they're frustrating.
Old 2012-05-15, 10:30am
one day at a time

thanks!
Old 2012-05-15, 1:25pm

He's also got them listed on Amazon. Shipping is $4.49 (much less than EBay).
http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Glass...9&sr=8-1-spell

The reviews on EBay look good. I'm hoping someone on LE has purchased them and will report to us.

I'd sure like to know if they're comparable to, same as, or better than the high cost ones. I'd order in a minute if they are. I'm curious if he's the one that actually designed them. If he is, I bet there's a story behind the whole situation.
Old 2012-05-15, 1:47pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Looks just like the Wale ones I have to me. They are a simple enough design that if the materials are the same or similar then the eBay ones are a great deal. At today's metal prices I couldn't make one for that cost even not counting the time.
PJH
Old 2012-05-15, 2:24pm

Hmmm. I'm seriously tempted.
Old 2012-05-15, 3:23pm

I emailed him also:

I designed the masher that Frantz sells and Artisan inserts will
fit thier product. Artisan True Parallel Mashers are made to stricter tolerances
and the inserts they make may not fit an Artisan TPM.

the diameter of the inserts is 1.75 inches. The approximate diameter of what the existing lentil insert will
Produce is about 1.6 inches. In late summer I will release a smaller version that will produce a 1 inch piece.Thanks,Dave

Old 2012-05-15, 4:02pm

I'm taking a chance... going to buy on Amazon (with the lower ship cost). I'll never be able to afford the $149 so here's hoping...
Old 2012-05-15, 4:37pm
grama punky - class junky

will be watching for a review of it!

Old 2012-05-15, 5:19pm

We should buy directly from his website. I'm pretty sure I saw a link on there to buy- and it's a dollar cheaper then ebay!
Old 2012-05-15, 6:24pm

I don't see a link on his webpage, but you can email him and I think he will send you a paypal invoice.

Old 2012-05-15, 6:36pm

I couldn't find a link on his page... therefore Amazon for me. I just got a nice email from Dave. It seems he's an LE member that hasn't been checking in regularly. It sounds like he might visit us here and answer any questions folks might have. I think the shipping on EBay is about $8 more than Amazon? Worth comparing. Donna... dancing in the rain is good!
Old 2012-05-15, 10:41pm
Dynamic Duo

I find the lack of any dimensions or visual reference to size disturbing. Have no idea what size beads these are appropriate for. So if anyone gets one, let us know.

Old 2012-05-16, 7:10am

The lack of more detail bothers me too. He (Dave) says he'll email me more pictures today so we can visually compare to the 'other one'. When/if he does, I'll post them. Autumn posted some size info just above.
Old 2012-05-16, 9:06am

Thank you for the size info. Looks like I will have to get one in the next couple of weeks.

Old 2012-05-16, 2:18pm
Naysayer

Odd he sells the inserts in a quantity of one, anyways looks like a good deal. I gave up looking because I will not pay 150.00.
Old 2012-05-16, 3:05pm

I went ahead and ordered one. Like Ravenesque, I'll never pay $150 so it's this or nothing. Wale and Frantz also sell the inserts by the each for the spendy one. For now all I need are the flat rounds and it comes with a pair. One generally gets what one pays for so of course I'm concerned about what I just bought. I'll let you all know!
Old 2012-05-16, 3:33pm
Naysayer

Well not sure if he would be so open about making them for others before if he didn't, I'm sure they're fine.

I never looked close at the others so I didn't know they sold one each. I was trying to find a lentil press, I just saw the price and ran! I wish tapley still made his tools, i like those and they were under 20.00.

I'm going to wait for the smaller lentil, I don't make too many so I don't need a big one.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:07am

Dave just sent me some nice pictures of his masher. I'm not sure if it's OK to post pictures of a commercial product here. If it is, let me know and I'll post here. If it's not, and you want to see the pictures, send me a PM and I'll attach the images to my reply.
Old 2012-05-18, 7:14am

Default TP Masher dimentions

Hi Folks, Thank You all for your interest in my masher.
Everything that I've said about inventing the product is true.
I'm currently out of stock for about a week.
Here's the real skinny on the masher. It's 10.25" long and the
Graphite heads are 1.75" in diameter. It is extremely light.
The handles are anodized aluminum. I recently changed the
material that the cross arms are made of from steel to aircraft
aluminum making it even lighter. Hope this helps, Dave Lobley
Old 2012-05-18, 9:01am

Thanks for the info, Dave. I found it strange that non of the sites list dimensions. That is kind of important. I will order one from you in a week or so.

Old 2012-05-18, 1:11pm

Thanks for posting Dave. I ordered mine a couple of days ago and it's on it's way from Amazon. I see they are sold out there as well. I appreciate having an alternative to the expensive mashers that are beyond my budget.
Old 2012-05-20, 5:37am

Wow, I didn't know the original TP Mashers had goten so expensive! I got mine from Wale about 4 years ago and it was $99.00 then, which was a lot! But they are wonderful and so easy to use. Nice that there is a less expensive option available. I'll be interested to hear how you who are buying them like them after you've used them. Mine hd the flat and lentil graphite pads, and yes, they were expensive, and they came with a little Allen Wrench to change them out with, which I can say from experience, you gotta remember where you put it, lol!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2012-05-20, 7:46am

Hi Nancy, your TPM is gold in color(design #1) but it has the same threads that hold the
inserts in place as new ones. Send me your address and I'll send you different screws that do not require a wrench (no charge). ThanKs for your interest, Dave, Artisan Tool Works. E-MAIL dave@artisantoolworks.com
Old 2012-05-20, 7:49am

Hi Dave, wow, that is so nice of you! I'd be forever grateful. My address is here in the RAOGK list on LE....it's the P.O. box number. You are so sweet!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2012-05-23, 10:45am
ALWAYS SMILES

Hi purchasers ! Could you please post your thoughts on your new mashers?? I am very intrigued.....my current mashers are very frustrating thanks!
Old 2012-05-23, 11:13am

I received my new masher yesterday. I haven't used it yet but I can report it is top quality, light weight (for the size), and a far cry from my pliers masher. It's truly parallel with an accurate 'stop' for size. If there's a difference from the 'other' one I don't know what it would be other than Dave's comment about it being lighter. I wouldn't want one heavier than this one. I have really small hands. I won't have problems with it but I must say it's bigger than I expected. I didn't purchase any additional inserts but now I see how nice it is, I plan to purchase the barrel insert for it.